Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Depth Evaluation of Lineup Combinations Last Year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Depth Evaluation of Lineup Combinations Last Year.

This might be worth the $1.99 first month subscription to the Eagle if you've run out of free articles for the month. Eldridge breaks down the offensive and defensive efficiency of the various lineup combinations.

The most effective offensive combination was

Landry Shamet, Austin Reaves, Zach Brown, Rashard Kelly and Shaq Morris

Time together: 100 minutes (7.5 percent of total minutes)

Offense: 1.32 PPP on 151 possessions (1.14 PPP average)

Defense: 0.87 PPP on 171 possessions (0.99 PPP average)

Offense vs. Top-150 teams: 1.26 PPP on 105 possessions (1.14 PPP average)

Defense vs. Top-150 teams: 0.86 PPP on 125 possessions (1.06 PPP average)

Outcome: This lineup was a rousing success, as earned seven starts together and outscored opponents by 24 points in those games before the first WSU substitution. The most surprising part about this combination is the level of defense it maintained over a pretty sizable collection (and it actually improved against the good teams). The 0.87 defensive PPP is the level of defense WSU was playing when it led the nation in defensive efficiency.

The most effective defensive combination was

Landry Shamet, Austin Reaves, Zach Brown, Darral Willis and Shaq Morris

Time together: 27 minutes (2.1 percent of total minutes)

Offense: 1.25 PPP on 55 possessions (1.14 PPP average)

Defense: 0.81 PPP on 47 possessions (0.99 PPP average)

Offense vs. Top-150 teams: 1.21 PPP on 43 possessions (1.14 PPP average)

Defense vs. Top-150 teams: 0.78 PPP on 37 possessions (1.06 PPP average)

Outcome: You have to keep in mind the small sample size, but this lineup proved to be one of WSU’s most successful on this list. The combination smoked opponents by 0.44 points per possession and that number held steady (0.43 PPP) against top-150 opponents. What was most impressive was the combination’s defense, as it limited top-150 teams to 0.78 PPP.
    I'll have some more later, but it's lunch time for me.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

i usually switch back between private mode and non-private and between the computer, ipads, and phone, i usually get what i want to see before running out of freebies. non-the-less, i'd sure hope that the coaches are paying close attention to this data (technicals) in season. it works in the stock market.. it has to work in basketball too.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
      SHOCKvalue commented
      Editing a comment
      If we all had a dollar for every time Aargh has been told about private browsing options to get around paywalls we could all go out to lunch together at someplace fancy like Red Lobster.

• InWuWeTrust
      InWuWeTrust commented
      Editing a comment
      yes shockvalue... and if that doesn't work, clear your cookies! usually does the trick - or switch browsers.. i prefer chrome as it doesn't crash as much as internet explorer or firefox.

SHOCKvalue, you might want to consider that we have a regular visitor here whose input we respect, cherish, and value. That regular visitor is the author of the article I linked. That person's livelihood depends on subscriptions to the Eagle.

You might also want to verify that your method of getting past a paywall still works before you run your mouth about other people's ignorance.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
      SHOCKvalue commented
      Editing a comment
      You get really defensive, when all you really need to do is ask someone how to download google chrome and then use its incognito function. No one needs to "verify" if it really works when pretty much everyone else you're talking to on this forum is aware of it and knows how to use it. Then there's also the fact the Eagle's smartphone app abandoned article limits many moons ago and has no paywall.

Two thirds of all domestic news revenue is derived from advertising.

T

...:cool:

Comment

I would pay a healthy subscription just for Taylors coverage ... if that money went primarily to Taylor.

Comment

Worst offensive combination
        Landry Shamet, Conner Frankamp, Markis McDuffie, Rashard Kelly and Shaq Morris

Time together: 45 minutes (3.4 percent of total minutes)

Offense: 0.95 PPP on 76 possessions (1.14 PPP average)

Defense: 1.07 PPP on 76 possessions (0.99 PPP average)

Offense vs. Top-150 teams: 0.93 PPP on 73 possessions (1.14 PPP average)

Defense vs. Top-150 teams: 1.08 PPP on 73 possessions (1.06 PPP average)

Outcome: It’s a little bizarre how this is the same lineup as No. 4, just with Frankamp inserted for Reaves, and the numbers can be so different. While No. 4’s offense pumped out elite production, this combination for whatever reason really struggled to produce. This lineup ended as a negative for WSU, as it was outscored by 0.15 points per possession against top-150 competition.
        Worst defensive combination

Landry Shamet, Conner Frankamp, Markis McDuffie, Darral Willis and Shaq Morris

Time together: 26 minutes (1.9 percent of total minutes)

Offense: 1.02 PPP on 46 possessions (1.14 PPP average)

Defense: 1.50 PPP on 36 possessions (0.99 PPP average)

Offense vs. Top-150 teams: 1.05 PPP on 43 possessions (1.14 PPP average)

Defense vs. Top-150 teams: 1.39 PPP on 33 possessions (1.06 PPP average)

Outcome: This was another combination that really struggled to find stops on the defensive end. That’s not good news when the offense was a tick below the team’s average efficiency, too. It’s a small sample size, but still, being outscored by 0.48 points per possession is hard to come back from.

Comment

Interesting observations from the best and worst lineups.

- Landry Shamet and Shaq Morris were part of all 4.
          - Austin Reaves and Zach Brown were part of both best lineups.
          - Conner Frankamp and Markis McDuffie were part of both worst lineups.
          - Rashard Kelly was in both the best and worst offensive lineup.
          - Darral Willis was in both the best and worst defensive lineup.

Another sign of how much Austin Reaves leaving will hurt. Hopefully, being fully healthy for the offseason and going into the season will make a big difference for McDuffie or we are in trouble.

Comment

Austin had some brain-farts late in the season, but it's clear that he was a positive x-factor when replacing Conner in the lineup, which surprised me a little.

Comment

• Shockm
              Shockm commented
              Editing a comment
              He didn't include turnover and change of possession outcomes which may or may not have affected the end of game outcomes. The differences statistically speaking are so small that while the information is good to know, it might not have affected end of game outcomes.

I do have a feeling that Marshall is more comfortable with players who are tough and make great plays in close games. That is where we probably had a deficit last year, especially when compared with the great teams of FVV, Baker, and Cotton.

i would subscribe to taylor's stuff but the remainder of the eagle leaves a lot to be desired.. usually read the kc star anyway (there is so much overlap!) to get sporting kc coverage. additionally, i can't stand journalists trying to get clicks today.. one such article on kansas.com now states "garvey center is 100% leased; but what would willard garvey say?"... who gives a ****.. spout the news please.. don't beg for clicks.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              Doesn't the KC Star's company publish the Eagle these days?

what does last years lineup possibly have to do with this years lineup? ' shockers are looking at a total team turnover.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
              what does last years lineup possibly have to do with this years lineup? ' shockers are looking at a total team turnover.
              Nothing, really. But is is nearly impossible to over-analyze anything Shocker.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                It probably says something about the returners

Comment

With the exception of SHJ...I like the height and bulk at the guard position this upcoming year. Really liked Conners game but just seemed like a lot of teams exploited their 3-point shooting percentage over him.
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not getting a lot of height from Stevenson and Torres. Torres will look a lot like Frankamp with respect to build and Fred with respect to height (6'). Stevenson is not very tall either. 6'3" in shoes would be a mighty stretch. I'd say 6'2" in shoes. DnD is the real deal though. Legit 6'5".

T

...:cool:

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                  With the exception of SHJ...I like the height and bulk at the guard position this upcoming year. Really liked Conners game but just seemed like a lot of teams exploited their 3-point shooting percentage over him.
                  Fred was short but he had lightning quick hands and moved well. I don’t mind the 6 footers as long as they can be effective on both sides of the court.

Comment

On-ball defense! Without it, the first pass or penetratrion initiates the offense and causes the rest of the defense to help off their man. On-ball defense at both guards.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                    X