Black & Yellow Scrimmage on October 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black & Yellow Scrimmage on October 6

This will replace Shocker Madness, which is probably just as well. Let's watch the kids play some ball and call it a day. No need for contrived showy stuff.

The Black and Yellow Scrimmage, which replaces the annual Shocker Madness night, is set for Saturday afternoon, Oct. 6. The two squads will play an intersquad doubleheader, beginning at 2 p.m. Fans are also invited to stop by the athletic department's annual garage sale that afternoon between Noon and 3 p.m.
    The Black and Yellow Scrimmage, which replaces the annual Shocker Madness night, is set for Saturday afternoon, Oct. 6. The two squads will play an intersquad doubleheader, beginning at 2 p.m. Fans are also invited to stop by the athletic department's annual garage sale that afternoon between Noon and 3 p.m.
    78-65

I’m hoping they still have the contests ... those were the best parts IMO

Comment

I do like the idea of more basketball but if there's no production aspect at all it's going to be a shock to the average fan. No music? No Emcee? Just like a regular old summer pickup game? Weird.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• pinstripers
        pinstripers commented
        Editing a comment
        lame

I get the feeling 3G does not like the hoopla of midnight madness

Comment

• pinstripers
        pinstripers commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree, and it's somewhat surprising given that he is a salesman first and foremost

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s been an embarrassment since it’s inception... every year I came away deflated and disappointed. I know I’m showing my age, but a dunk and three-point competition does nothing for me. Give me more live scrimmage time and I’m a happy camper.

My understanding is no contests. Come out and watch a controlled scrimmage.

Comment

This is my Dream. The best shocker madness happened the year we played in the brown box on 135. They just played a full game and it was glorious.

All the others have so many cringe worthy moments and are a waste of time.

Comment

• BOBB
          BOBB commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. Let’s watch some effin basketball and get drunk. Emcee/schmemcee.

I hate it being on a Saturday, but that’s just me.
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
          I do like the idea of more basketball but if there's no production aspect at all it's going to be a shock to the average fan. No music? No Emcee? Just like a regular old summer pickup game? Weird.

T

No more Hitman embarrassment?

Fine by me.

If they could pull off a major type madness event fit for a high major basketball program, I'd be all for it. But they are incapable of not embarrassing themselves and making it look like half-assed amateur hour, so I will welcome the change to just strictly basketball.
          Last edited by ShockerFever; September 7, 2018, 07:57 AM.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
            I hate it being on a Saturday, but that’s just me.
            Yah, it must be just you, because I know most people hated it on a weekday night at 6:00.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
              ShockdaWorld commented
              Editing a comment
              Comprehension is tough.

• ShockerFever
              ShockerFever commented
              Editing a comment
              What did I misunderstand?

Besides you complaining that your nap at the home is in jeopardy now?

• Steeleshocker
              Steeleshocker commented
              Editing a comment
              It was pretty obviously dripping with sarcasm, Fev.

Saturday afternoon? That's outstanding! 4 weeks notice for the event? Another good move. Just some scrimmages without all the crap that nobody wanted to see any way? good plan.

Trying to get thousands of people to show up and sit through some boring stuff in order to get a look at the teams was a tough sell. People showed up to watch the scrimmages, and the ebb and flow of the crowd demonstrated that.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I am totally fine with this change. Hopefully, this will allow them to extend the scrimmages some and still cut down on the overall time of the event. More of what I'm looking for and less of what I don't have. Works for me.

Comment

double header meaning two men's games or one women's and one mens ??? should be MUCH better than
                the past few years of boring stuff

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One men's scrimmage and one women's scrimmage.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                I get the feeling 3G does not like the hoopla of midnight madness
                My guess is what 3G doesn't like is that every minute most of his guys are standing around watching a long-drawn out dunk contest or 3-point shooting contest is a minute taken away from the allowable practice time he has to work with his guys on something much more valuable. Those minutes are of even more value when you have a new, young and inexperienced team like he has this year. At least the scrimmage time is something he probalby would incorporate into a practice at some point anyway and he can perhaps learn a few thing about his team.

Comment

Neither the goShockers.com announcement nor Taylor Eldridge's report mention whether the men or women will go first although that may be intentional so they can perhaps maximize the number of folks who will show up for the women's scrimmage.

One error in Taylor's report is that he reported 8 of the 10 players are the women's roster are new. Actually the correct numbers are 10 of the 15 players on the women's team are new. Plus 2 of the 5 returning players redshirted last year. Both of these teams are very young and have very little D-1 experience on their rosters.
                  All the new blood and uncertainty makes this one of the more intriguing Shocker preview events we have had from my perspective.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 7, 2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They need to stop the underhanded gender neutral sports scheduling. For 99% of basketball fans everywhere, women's basketball is a side show. It's no different for me than watching a Biddy Ball game.

T

For diehard bball fans, this is probably a better event. I wonder how many will show up though since the common fan will not be "entertained" by watching a scrimmage.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's my point. It will be weird if there is no emcee. Don't get me wrong, I've been the biggest critic of the Shocker Amateur Hour festival but I don't know if the correct direction for the buying public is to strip it down to a bare bones event. I will also miss the dunk contest. That was pretty exciting for me.

I mean... no DnD in a Shocker dunk contest seems like a sacrilege.

T

• Aargh
                    Aargh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just show up for the warmups. You'll see plenty of dunks, just not dunks jumping over someone's head or running from half court to catch a bounced ball.
                Working...
                X