looking into the past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post

I like this analogy, but I’d say Fogler drove the train off the track then threw Cohen into the conductor seat and jumped off.
    This may need to be qualified. I think Fogler was a pretty good coach, but not great and certainly not in the same class as Marshall; maybe similar to Turgeon. But Fogler admits his biggest recruitment decision as an assistant at UNC was which direction to turn out of the driveway. I don't think he really knew how to evaluate and recruit a player for WSU (and subsequently South Carolina.) So, if by driving off the track you mean he left the cupboard bare and the kitchen sink full of dirty dishes, then I'd agree.

I totallly agree he threw Cohen into the seat with NO regard for what Cohen would do. But, the athletic dept ultimately has to take responsibility for keeping Cohen there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

I like this analogy, but I’d say Fogler drove the train off the track then threw Cohen into the conductor seat and jumped off.
      I'd agree with this take. Also, other than Randy, we have had coaches of good character. Never heard anyone calling Scott Thompson an asshole. That being said the "Peter Principle" catches up with most of us at some time or another. Good assistants don't always make good head coaches, good reality show hosts... NM
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Did the AD at the time even do a coaching search? If I'm remembering correctly it seemed they just went with Cohen upon Fogler's recommendation. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly...but if so...that was kinda weird and irresponsible imho.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        For some unknown reason, the basketball gods wanted us to suffer... and did we ever.
        I think they wanted us to suffer so we would truly appreciate what we have when we are one of the best teams in the country, and not become like another school in the state that has entitlement mentality (among other things).

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

I'd agree with this take. Also, other than Randy, we have had coaches of good character. Never heard anyone calling Scott Thompson an asshole. That being said the "Peter Principle" catches up with most of us at some time or another. Good assistants don't always make good head coaches, good reality show hosts... NM
          tHqiwqT.png
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If I recall correctly there were several HC openings (maybe 8-10) that year and the admin panicked and took Eddie’s recommendation of Cohen.

Comment

I believe the major driver for Cohen was a booster by the name of Mike Dart. Also, I remember something about a Pizza Hut franchise being part of Valvano's package too.

Comment

Working...
              X