2018-19 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by top20shock View Post
    Penny can’t coach. He’s a celebrity who used to be a great NBA basketball player. How many Final Fours and/or Elite 8’s has he been to as a coach? I know it’s his first year but he will never be a great coach. He’s not hungry and he’s already “made it” in basketball and life.
    I tend to agree with you. I think Memphis was short sighted when they replaced Tubby with Penny. Time will tell.

Comment

• Penny will be fine for the next couple of years...until the pipeline of his former players at Memphis East runs dry.
      78-65

Comment

• 1979Shocker
        1979Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        It will depend on whether Penny can prove himself as a coach over the next couple of year. If he can, then that Memphis pipeline could continue whether they played for him or not in high school.

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      A West Virginia bench player got ejected for tripping an opposing player. . . while he was sitting on the bench.
      Maybe that's only way for #31 to get into the box score.

BTW, the offender's name was Logan Routt. Appropriate in a game your team loses 81-50.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 5, 2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• 60Shock
        60Shock commented
        Editing a comment
        72,That's funny!

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post
      Looked at the Memphis blog and some of the fans are trashing Penny’s coaching.
      My comments on the issue in the AAC forum will live forever. That's trollin' with longevity baby!

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      Penny will be fine for the next couple of years...until the pipeline of his former players at Memphis East runs dry.
      Yep, this is exactly true.

You can tell Penny doesn't know what he's doing just by his sideline demeanor, or lack thereof. He doesn't do ANYTHING. He doesn't call out plays or point to players to go to the right spot. He just stands there. He likes to refer to himself as a "player's coach". Well unfortunately, this isn't the NBA. It's college. And coaching is VERY important at this level. "Just rolling the ball out on the court" will only get you so far.

Penny is gonna crumble fast and it's gonna be fun watching the Memphis fanbase all collectively go on suicide watch. They've earned it.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        Penny will be fine for the next couple of years...until the pipeline of his former players at Memphis East runs dry.
        I agree with you. Time will tell if he can coach. Given this is 1st year in Div 1 I am not going to rush to judgement. To do so would be unfair. But one of the best things Penny and Memphis did was not to hire lying cheating Larry Brown. Had they done that they would be under an NCAA investigation right now headed to the same life as SMU.

Comment

• Memphis gambled and went for a Name Brand coach (Penny) hoping to attract Memphis locals and other top notch recruits to come play for a very well known and very successful former college and NBA star.

Hey, this is the man's first year. Any coach deserves much more time than this. And if Penny is/was smart, he has has hired some very good assistants.

If it works, it was a great move. And if it does not, is it really any sweat off of our Basketballs?

Comment

• I hope Penny ends up wildly successful, but less successful than us.
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• In our worst year in the last decade, would we lose to Valparaiso by 16 at home? Well, the good ol' Redturds did. They were supposed to be an NCAA tourney team, they were supposed to be the new flagship of the Valley after we moved on.

God, they're hilarious.

Hey retire12, is it possible to make fun of WSU when in our worst year in a decade, we're still 50 spots higher than you in the RPI and 60 spots higher than you in NET? God, it must suck to suck. LOL
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Turn out the lights, the party's over......they say that all, cheaters must lose......

Comment

• LMAO, that last dunk should get the KU fans riled up pretty good.

I'm still not sure why KU is ranked, let alone in the Top 15. They're garbage.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• WuDrWu
                    WuDrWu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Phog.cheat should be entertaining right about now.

• I was out this evening and I heard someone say that they didn't understand what happened to KU this year. I felt like a school kid raising his hand and saying "I know! I know!"

I mentioned that what we're seeing this year is what happens when KU isn't allowed to use illegal players.

That led to quite a lecture. I was informed that DeSousa did nothing wrong and it was unfair to punish him and it was shameful that the NCAA waited until the middle of the season to declare him ineligible.

the next tirade was that KU did nothing wrong. I mentioned that the FBI had intercepted a message from the coaching staff to the Adidas guy saying "we need your help with this guy".

I was informed that they obviously did not have that or KU would have already been punished by the NCAA.

Once I figured out that the lack of NCAA penalties was proof that KU did nothing wrong, I figured it was time to change the subject, but that didn't happen until I heard another tirade about how KU gets punished for even the slightest infraction while North Carolina gets away with everything.

Another person listening to the conversation got his PhD from Kentucky. It was kind of an interesting exchange. The Kentucky guy was pretty reasonable about the entire situation.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Aargh Aargh man you crack me up. LOL. You really tried to talk logic to a KU fan. I have learned over the years to not talk to them. I even have some family members that are chickenhawk fans and I don't discuss sports with them. The majority of KU fans are arrogant, uninformed, hypocritical, condescending, and some of them but not all of them are flat out lying sonabtches.

Right now they have cheated in recruiting players and they want everybody to think they are a victim. The thing I look for is when they are so upset and embarrassed that they run from you. Like when we dominated them in the NCAA. Still no chicken hawk fan I know has approached me to talk about that game. It didn't happen. Lmao But I do remember their sad faces the next day at work begging for mercy that I don't mention the game. Yall know what I am talking about.

One last story. Many years ago the shocks got beat by Northern Iowa in the MVC tournament championship . Our team played without David Kyles. We needed his shooting against them. Chicken hawk fans were in my office the next days laughing saying we got beat by a directional school. I tried to tell then that Northern Iowa was good. They just laughed and looked at me with that smug look. When the NCAA bracket came out I knew that if both those teams won their 1st round game they would play each other. I felt confident with a warm feeling.

The rest is history. The so-called No.1 team in the country chickenhawks got beat by Northern Iowa. I didn't see those chicken hawk fans for 3 weeks at work and when I did see them they were red faced like many of them are today. Go shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                      One last story. Many years ago the shocks got beat by Northern Iowa in the MVC tournament championship . Our team played without David Kyles. We needed his shooting against them. Chicken hawk fans were in my office the next days laughing saying we got beat by a directional school. I tried to tell then that Northern Iowa was good. They just laughed and looked at me with that smug look. When the NCAA bracket came out I knew that if both those teams won their 1st round game they would play each other. I felt confident with a warm feeling.

The rest is history. The so-called No.1 team in the country chickenhawks got beat by Northern Iowa. I didn't see those chicken hawk fans for 3 weeks at work and when I did see them they were red faced like many of them are today. Go shocks.
                      In 2015, I made a little wise crack around some friends about the Shockers beating KU. "Why is 60 scared of 70? Because 70 ate 65 (78-65)."

One of my friends immediately interrupted. "Hey, KU won the World University Games."

I chuckled. If the roles were reversed, having KU beat WSU and WSU then winning the World University Games, how quickly would Beaker types have laughed me out of the room if I tried to minimize an NCAA Tournament loss by bragging about a win in some international competition that relatively few have ever heard of?
                      78-65

Comment

• I didn't even know they played until this morning. Too bad. I'm assuming k-state won. Looking forward to going to work with my ku associates and reminding them that they got beat by a team who lost to Tulsa, because they surely don't follow college basketball in-depth enough to know that.

I'm glad ku lost, because Chicken fans are about as insufferable as nevertrumpers, and as uninformed. Rather noisy too.

Comment

Working...
                      X