No announcement yet.

ZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzzzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many northern schools have won the College World Series?

Stop with the failure excuses, it's Un-American.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
      Downtown Shocker Brown commented
      Editing a comment
      Vanderbilt.

Does Oregon State count as northern?

• another shocker
      another shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      you can't be serious. vanderbilt does NOT qualify as a northern school

Keep in mind, the argument was that NO MM with football had made a deep run. Those schools have made runs to Elite 8 or further, while at the time being in a mid-major conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      Interesting.

It wasn't mentioned, although it was implied, that a "mid-major" with a football program has never made a deep run in the NCAA's.

Are there any exceptions to that?
      Maybe. Only one that comes to mind is ours of course. 1965 Final Four while having a Division I football program. But perhaps mid-major we were not.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

Maybe. Only one that comes to mind is ours of course. 1965 Final Four while having a Division I football program. But perhaps mid-major we were not.
        The Valley was anything but mid-major in 1965. Back then it was pretty much today's ACC.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

KU's football is mid-major. Maybe ... they've made a deep run now and then. Suggest they drop their program and see what kind of reaction you get. One of the jokes I've heard (that isn't really very funny) is Lew Perkins has killed football at two schools in Kansas.

Comment

• N Crestway
            N Crestway commented
            Editing a comment
            The reaction would be negative in terms of possible realignment. Two AD's, a lady chancellor, 3 coach's, and a much tougher schedule post northern division of the Big 12 killed KU football. The positive is a new chancellor who seems to get it in terms of the athletic department and fired the incompetent AD. The new AD hire probably also guarantees a football program that will rise to the traditional KU level of mediocrity in a few years.

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Temple, Butler, Indiana State, and UMASS all play at NCAA D1 level.
          I don't know if Temple could ever be called a mid-major. Here's something I found about their program:

The Owls were a football-only member of the Big East Conference from 1991 until 2004. Temple was expelled from the league due to a lack of commitment to the football program from university officials.
          I was unaware Butler had a football program. They play in the same conference as Drake Can that actually be called having a football team?

Indiana State's NCAA run was with Larry Bird. The concept of a "mid-major" didn't exist, and FBS football hadn't become the huge $$ generator it is since ESPN came on the scene.

UMass seems like a school that fit the criteria.

This is almost like the old "so, you're saying there is a chance" quote from a movie.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Aargh
              Aargh commented
              Editing a comment
              To keep in the spirit of basketball, let's just call it a message board dead period.

Keitha Adams‏ @WSUKeithaAdams
            Keitha Adams Retweeted Basketball Australia

Now that’s a half ct shot

Comment

Working...
            X