No announcement yet.

2018 Summer Scouting Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After redshirt season, this 'man-child' is ready to make impact at Wichita State

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...213901814.html

Back home in Memphis, Rod Brown was already known as a "man-child" before he arrived at Wichita State.

But after a redshirt year spent with strength and conditioning coach Kerry Rosenboom, Brown has packed more than 30 pounds of muscle onto his 6-foot-6 frame and is prepared to make an instant impact this coming season for the Shockers.

"I feel like a new man," said Brown, who now weighs in around 225 pounds.

Armed with athleticism, positional versatility and a desire to prove himself, Brown is an ideal fit for this new version of the Shockers.

Now that he's bulked up to 225, Brown believes he can rebound and defend well enough to play power forward as well as small forward.

"I want to be a dog defensively out there," Brown said. "I want to lead the conference in steals and defensive rebounding. I want to be everywhere out there."

Brown figures to assume the defensive stopper role that graduated senior Zach Brown played last season. While his offense remains a work in progress, Brown should be a threat in transition with his athleticism and he has developed a knack for offensive rebounds, much like Rashard Kelly, another graduated senior.

Comment

I read that article this morning over my coffee and thought of the last time I was at the doctor for my blood pressure. The doc made me step on a scale that measured my body fat. I’m embarrassed to say what my body fat was and how little muscle my body has but I got to believe that these man-children have even better tools that that. 30 pounds of muscle is incredible!!

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
        Really like his work ethic and attitude. Can't wait to see him put all it altogether on the court.

But I thought we only have 4 returning scholarship players for this upcoming season. Taylor said 1 of 5. Am I missing someone???

SJ
        McD
        AM
        Rod Brown
        with those 4 we need some more outside shooting. Stevenson at the 2?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

I am already in love with Stevenson. all I have to go on is some tape. he is a terrific traffic player.
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Yeah fer sure! Need some makers. We might have a couple few Freshmen in the starting line-up. Heck by Feb. we might have 5 Freshmen starting. Hope not...but who knows. Looking forward to seeing all these new guys!!!
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Triticum aestivum L.
              Triticum aestivum L. commented
              Editing a comment
              AZ Shocker, FYI it's time to add another year to your NCAA tournament string.

• WuShock16
              WuShock16 commented
              Editing a comment
              If 5 freshmen are starting in February, it means that Markis either got hurt or screwed up big-time. I'm hoping for neither.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            After redshirt season, this 'man-child' is ready to make impact at Wichita State

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...213901814.html
            One thing that we tend to forget when we are evaluating Rod (even though we haven't seen him live yet), is that he was a very coveted, high school recruit. He was the recruit that replaced Smith when he went back to Louisiana.

Rod was rated as a Top #150 recruit (he was a borderline 4* just above a 3*) for the year 2018 (this year). We recruited him hard and had another scholarship (2017) remaining late in the recruiting year. He didn't have any high school eligibility remaining so he had to go to a prep school. Since we had an additional scholarship last summer so he reconstituted himself to 2017 and had to finish a class or two last summer to be eligible at WSU.

Anyway, my point is that he was a Top 150 recruit late in the process, and is probably our highest rated freshman recruit. Stevenson is just a little bit higher rated recruit for 2018 (I don't remember for sure but he is somewhere around #180 or #190).

Comment

• Shock Top
              Shock Top commented
              Editing a comment
              And Burton missed a lot of time with injury.

Both he and Rod might have been higher in the recruit list had they had Burton not been injured and Rod stuck around in prep school.

Knights of Columbus I forgot to do that. I'll have to update when I get on a PC later today as I can't figure out how to on my phone. Thanks for the heads-up Triticum aestivum L.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Anything? Anything at all???
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Word on the street is our defense will be back to the Marshall Standard.

Also, Teddy Buckets is one BAD dude (and "bad" is GOOD).
                The Assman

Comment

When should we know about Teddy Allen eligibility for the upcoming year

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                    When should we know about Teddy Allen eligibility for the upcoming year
                    Probably in January.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• bighouse
                        bighouse commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Cut looking group. Looks like we are still short one “bear”? And not sure who the young fella is third from the right. And no SHJ?
                        Last edited by bighouse; July 11, 2018, 08:07 PM.

• Stickboy46
                        Stickboy46 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Third from the right is a potential 4th walk on. I've noticed that SHJ isn't in any group pictures or Isiah Chandler

• C0|dB|00ded
                        C0|dB|00ded commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What's Maurice Evans incarnate doing in that photo (second from the right).

T

...:cool:

Dexter Dennis certainly looks the part. Ready to see him on the court.
                      Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Can someone name these guys from L to R to help the rest of us to getting more familiar with our new boys.

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                            ShockdaWorld commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Jaime Echenique, Teddy (Buckets) Allen, Tate Busse (seated), Markis McDuffie, Chance Moore (standing), Jamarius Burton (sitting), Asbjorn Midtgaard, Erik Stevenson, Rod Brown, Brycen Bush, Elijah Farkhara (or something like that), Ricky Torres (squatted down), Dexter Dennis, and Morris Udeze.

• WstateU
                            WstateU commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Interesting last name - actually Elijah 'Farrakhan'.

Assuming this is him...

• ShockTalk
                            ShockTalk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A little bit about the Titans: "The CGTC Titans finished the 2017-18 season with a 25-9 overall record, and 11-5 in the Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association (GCAA). Winning their first conference title in program history in March 2018, the Titans earned an automatic bid to the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) tournament in Hutchinson, Kansas."
                        Working...
                        X