2018 Summer Scouting Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Great Picture and I know some but I'm not sure who everyone is. I wish it had a caption pointing out each player. There are 2-3 players not there either.
    My guesses from left to right: Morris Udeze, Jamarius Burton, Teddy Allen, Tate Busse, Markis McDuffie, Asbjorn Midtgaard, Brycen Bush, Jacob Herrs, Chance Moore, Dexter Dennis, Samajae Haynes-Jones, Jaime Echineque and Rod Brown.

Not pictured: Ricky Torres, Isaiah Chandler and Erik with a Special K Stevenson.

Not quite sure what to make of Chance's pose. Jamarius looks like a stud.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 15, 2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• wusphlash
      wusphlash commented
      Editing a comment
      If Chance is like me he sometimes forgets to zip his fly. Always good to check. I do.

• Shock Top
      Shock Top commented
      Editing a comment
      Also missing: (Pretty) Ricky Torres

After looking at the photo does anyone still think Chance Moore is 6-9? I'm thinking redshirt candidate at least from a stand point of who most needs to work on his body.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      https://www.instagram.com/p/BkDCOmCH...y=worldwidejay

After looking at the photo does anyone still think Chance Moore is 6-9? I'm thinking redshirt candidate at least from a stand point of who most needs to work on his body.
      6’7”

Comment

Not quite sure what to make of Chance's pose.
        Michael Jackson fan...

160194_1410051263142_full.png

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

#IHAVESOMANYQUESTIONS
          For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
          - said no one ever...

Comment

Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
            #IHAVESOMANYQUESTIONS
            Could be the theme for Shocker athletics as they enter their 2nd year of AAC competition. Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Volleyball, Women's Track & Field all have a bunch of question marks and unknowns heading into the season. I am very much looking forward to seeing how our Coaches and athletes answer those questions. Should be a very interesting year.

Comment

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkDCOmCH...y=worldwidejay

I have to admit that without seeing this team play a lot, I have no idea who will start or play the most. Chance Moore has an outstanding offensive highlight tape with length to play defense. If he has a good attitude and work ethic to match, I highly doubt he redshirts. Minutes are there for opportunity and taking.

Comment

Originally posted by homegrownshocker View Post

I have to admit that without seeing this team play a lot, I have no idea who will start or play the most. Chance Moore has an outstanding offensive highlight tape with length to play defense. If he has a good attitude and work ethic to match, I highly doubt he redshirts. Minutes are there for opportunity and taking.
                You may very well be correct in your assessment. I do think highlight tapes on incoming freshman are nice but of somewhat limited value. They give you some feel for what kind of talent a player has but not much feel for how it will translate to the next level. My thinking on Chance is the he just looks slightly built but I admit that is a very superficial observation and doesn't tell the whole story about a player. However, one of the things 3G has said after last year is he needed bigger and stronger players across the board to compete against the size and strength they are up against in the AAC. Time will tell whether Chance fills that bill sooner or later.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 15, 2018, 09:00 PM.

Comment

1972Shocker. I have tried to envision this team and the competition for positions like many Shocker fans. The issue I have is who will play the 4 spot (possibly McDuffie, maybe one of the bigs could step out?). If he plays the small forward position then it does crowd up that position with McDuffie, Brown, & Moore, & maybe Dennis. Are we really going to have four centers this year (or will one of them play the second team four)? Lot's of potential with so limited returning experience on the roster.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                    WSUwatcher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HGS, McDuffie as a senior is about the size of Cleanthony Early as a senior. He's a PF who can stretch the floor some with his outside shot, and that's where he's likely to play.

Some observations
                  - I don’t know how you judge height from that Instagram picture. It’s obviously on a stairway and at a strange angle from below.
                  - Even though he just graduated, Jamarius at probably 18 is obviously a strong dude and physically mature. Defensively he is definitely ready but he may need to develop offensively.
                  - Chance will not redshirt. He is 19 and has spent a year at Sunrise. From what I’ve heard, Chance is really good offensively and will have to be focused on defense.
                  - My guess is that the main 4s early will be Markis and Rod Brown with maybe a zone of the four 5s playing some there too. However, it will be a struggle for that player to cover the other teams 4 on the perimeter. Probably playing small with another smaller player will be explored.
                  - This team will play 10-11 players early in the year and competition will be fierce.

Comment

Midtgaard, Udeze, Echineque at the 5
                    McDuffie and Brown at the 4.
                    Haynes-Jones, Torres, and Stevenson at the guard spots.

There red will be a 9th player that distinguished himself.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                      Some observations
                      - I don’t know how you judge height from that Instagram picture. It’s obviously on a stairway and at a strange angle from below.
                      - Even though he just graduated, Jamarius at probably 18 is obviously a strong dude and physically mature. Defensively he is definitely ready but he may need to develop offensively.
                      - Chance will not redshirt. He is 19 and has spent a year at Sunrise. From what I’ve heard, Chance is really good offensively and will have to be focused on defense.
                      - My guess is that the main 4s early will be Markis and Rod Brown with maybe a zone of the four 5s playing some there too. However, it will be a struggle for that player to cover the other teams 4 on the perimeter. Probably playing small with another smaller player will be explored.
                      - This team will play 10-11 players early in the year and competition will be fierce.
                      There are 5 players all on the ground level. However, I agree the camera angles and lens being used can distort things. But a think 6-9 is a big stretch for Chance. Regarding Chance redshirting, Rauno Nurger turned 21 years old early in November of his freshman season and the plan was to redshirt him in his sophomore season which would have happened if Anton Grady had not had his spinal concussion. 3G still laments not being able to redshirt Rauno.

I am sure Chance, like all of these guys, has some basketball skills. 3G would not have recruited them otherwise. How those skills will transition to D-1 basketball is very difficult to know.

All that said chances are that Chance would not be open to a redshirt year anyway which 3G says he won't force on any player.

Markis and Rod being the leading options at the 4 seems reasonable. Beyond the 4 big guys and Markis and Rod we basically have a boatload of combo wings and guards (small forwards, shooting guards, combo guards, point guards) to be mixed and matched as needed and as their skill sets dictate: Chance, Teddy Jamarius, Dexter, Erik, Ricky, Samajae. It will definitley be interesting to see how all this shakes out. I assume Tate will follow the Ron Baker plan and redshirt this next season as planned.

The key determining factors on how the depth chart develops may well be who buys into defense and rebounding with the most intensity and effectiveness. At least that has typically been the path to follow if you want to be on the floor for 3G. I don't see that changing. Perhaps add ball security to the defense and rebounding.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 16, 2018, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Why do people keep putting RBrown at the 4. He's 6'6" and weighs 190. That's a good size for a SF, but not for a PF. That's 2" taller and 25 pounds lighter than Baker. that's 15 pounds lighter than VanVleet.

Udeze looks like the prototype of a PF. That leaves Chandler, Midtgaard, and Echeniaue at the 5.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          Why do people keep putting RBrown at the 4. He's 6'6" and weighs 190. That's a good size for a SF, but not for a PF. That's 2" taller and 25 pounds lighter than Baker. that's 15 pounds lighter than VanVleet.

Udeze looks like the prototype of a PF. That leaves Chandler, Midtgaard, and Echeniaue at the 5.
                          Udeze or Chandler might work at the 4 if they are athletic enough to defend that position. From what has been reported on Udeze so far, and who knows how accruate tthat is, he perhaps fits the mold of Carl Hall at the beginning of his Shocker career. Does his work in the paint. Chandler reportedly likes the 3-ball but can he defend and rebound well enough at this point in his career. Against some teams it might work and against some teams it won't work.

BTW I believe your info on Rod Brown is a bit dated based on this report by Taylor Eldridge from 3 months ago: http://www.kansas.com/latest-news/article203913354.html

"The player who's made the biggest strides in the weight room has been freshman Rod Brown, who is redshirting. In his first year of lifting weights, Brown has packed on 25 pounds and now weighs 215."

Another 10 pounds in the 8 months from March through October and he is basically the size of a Rashard Kelly. Hopefully with a little better offensive skill set.

It would be nice if Rod was 6-8 but between he and Markis I would expect Rod to be the more physical player.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 16, 2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

I think Rod Brown is more of a banger. He’s more Rashard Kelly than Zach Brown.

Comment

• Shockm
                              Shockm commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I won’t make any comparisons but I’ve heard too that one of Rod Brown’s strengths is his rebounding. He has a nose for the ball. However, Rashard’s shooting was a struggle. I have not heard that Rod’s shooting is that bad.
                          Working...
                          X