No announcement yet.

Samajae H-J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If SHJ is playing a lot next season, either something has gone terribly wrong, or Samajae has sold his soul to the devil.

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure I can agree with your assessment; the like is for the video. :)

• Shockm
      Shockm commented
      Editing a comment
      You have more faith in players who just finished juco or worse, high school games and haven’t set foot against Div. 1 players. SHJ had several really good games against lower Div. 1 players but at least they were Div 1 players. While I don’t have more faith in SHJ, I have faith in our coaching staff who according to Taylor Eldridge, they still think SHJ has an opportunity to play an important role (I might add that I heard that rumor about our coaches other places too). I’ll wait and let it play out.

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
    If SHJ is playing a lot next season, either something has gone terribly wrong, or Samajae has sold his soul to the devil.

This is what Marshall said in an interview on April 6.

From talking to the WSU staff, it's clear they have high hopes for Haynes-Jones in his senior year. The potential is there. We've seen it come in flashes, most notably in games where he scored 31 and 27 points against outmatched competition. He shot an excellent 43.8 percent on 32 three-point attempts and showed he can be a devastating force when he's in transition. But he must improve his finishing in the lane, as too many times his shots were swatted away around the rim.

It is worth reporting that in another recruiting article at the end of April that Marshall said that Ricky Torres was they type of Point Guard that could step in right away and create leadership for the team. Obviously, they see ability in both Samajae and Ricky Torres. That is why I've stated that we need both (and unselfishly) if we are going to be where we want to be.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...#storylink=cpy

Comment

This is my opinion only. I came to this opinion when SHJ played his way into the last spot on the bench this side of the walkons. SHJ had opportunities last year that he did not take advantage of.

3-pt. shooting:
      vs.

Savannah St - 4/6 = 66.7%
      Arkansas St - 4/7 = 57.1^%
      The rest of D1 - 6/19 = 31.6%

2-pt. shooting
      vs.

Savannah St - 7/11 = 63.7%
      Arkansas St - 7/10 = 70%
      The rest of D1 - 17/56 = 30.4%

SHJ got a scholarship and still has one because he's local.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• pinstripers
        pinstripers commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope that you and I are wrong about this.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      This is my opinion only. I came to this opinion when SHJ played his way into the last spot on the bench this side of the walkons. SHJ had opportunities last year that he did not take advantage of.

3-pt. shooting:
      vs.

Savannah St - 4/6 = 66.7%
      Arkansas St - 4/7 = 57.1^%
      The rest of D1 - 6/19 = 31.6%

2-pt. shooting
      vs.

Savannah St - 7/11 = 63.7%
      Arkansas St - 7/10 = 70%
      The rest of D1 - 17/56 = 30.4%

SHJ got a scholarship and still has one because he's local.
      Bingo!
      When he was jettisoned to the end of the bench and spent zero time on the floor from then on, the message was telling and hard to ignore. He is a good kid and they're not going to chase off a local, but he is Valley level at best and I don't see any trips to Des Moines or Terre Haute on the schedule next year.

That is all.
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Weren't the anxiety "stomach" issues starting to surface right around the time of the Savannah and Ark. St. games?

If Marshall says he expects SHJ to be an impact player, I wouldn't discount it as Marshall is not known to be much of a sunshine pumper. He usually tells it like it is or is very quiet on the issue.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Shockm
          Shockm commented
          Editing a comment
          You are right that Marshall isn't Sunshine Pumper. We aren't privy to all of what was happening to place SHJ on the bench. Some of it was that Marshall was shortening the bench and giving more minutes to those who had proven themselves, and I believe the rumors that there were some mental challenges for SHJ. But I don't see Gregg giving a player a place on the team just to fill up space and just because he was a "local player". He's not that soft and knows he has enough standing in Wichita to send SHJ to Emporia State if he sees fit. However, Marshall believes in competition, and his statement that "the potential is there" indicates he hasn't given up on SHJ yet and feels he can either prove that he belongs or not. He is talented, and still has a chance. HCGM has had juco players before who have blossomed their Senior year after having growing pains transitioning from juco to Div.1.

Who is he going to guard in the AAC? Our biggest problem was having smaller and/or less athletic players on the perimeter unable to guard dudes. Samajae would have that same problem. He's all of 5'10 or 5'11", and he has done nothing to convince me that he can take care of the ball or defend the guys we would need him to defend.

Also, I still have no clue why people on here use per 40 minute stats, since even great players RARELY play that much. Per 30 would be more accurate, but even then, there's no way a player like Samajae would enjoy constant returns to scale in that scenario.

Comment

• Wooglin
          Wooglin commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe your "per 30" system wouldn't work very well. If a player scores 20 pts per 40, it would equate to 15 pts per 30 minutes. No matter how you slice it, the pizza doesn't change size.

• Shockm
          Shockm commented
          Editing a comment
          He will have to make adjustments in how he defends too. He has always done it by being more athletic than the other player and he was just as athletic or more than the players he had to guard this year too. He needs to guard tougher than last year, challenge them more, and get in their grill more often. He's quick enough to get in the opponent's grill and not risk getting beat on their first step (although they have to be smart and pick and choose opportunities). Our other young guards will have to prove they can do this too, and the bigger (though less athletic than SHJ) guards such as Ricky Torres will have to learn how to guard Div. 1 guards too. He's stronger although he gives up some quickness to SHJ. If neither do it, Jamarious Burton will get an opportunity. I think the Play Angry mantra will be used more often this year. JMO but I think all will get an opportunity to prove themselves.

• Stickboy46
          Stickboy46 commented
          Editing a comment
          Memphis is going to have a pair of tiny guards ...

UH started 2 guys 6 foot or under that did ok. Not that I want this to be our model, but it can be done if the player is good enough to overcome his height

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Houston's roster indicates no one under 6'1", 185. That was equal to 6'3" CJ's weight.

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          I stand corrected. Gray and Davis were the twin towers on the perimeter at 6’1” (listed)

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I know. Doesn't seem like much, but body mass without losing a step and toughness on both sides of the court, can make a big difference.

SHJ 6'1" 177
          CF 6'1" 171
          LS 6'4" 180

FVV 6'0" 186
          Rob Gray 6'1" 185
          Corey Davis 6'1" 190

Once we've played a couple of the better teams in our OOC part of the season, we should have a pretty definite idea as to how valuable SHJ is going to be to the team.

Comment

If he is healthy (mentally and physically) he will be a key contributor next year. Write it down.

Comment

Who is he going to guard in the AAC? Our biggest problem was having smaller and/or less athletic players on the perimeter unable to guard dudes. Samajae would have that same problem. He's all of 5'10 or 5'11", and he has done nothing to convince me that he can take care of the ball or defend the guys we would need him to defend.

Also, I still have no clue why people on here use per 40 minute stats, since even great players RARELY play that much. Per 30 would be more accurate, but even then, there's no way a player like Samajae would enjoy constant returns to scale in that scenario.
            Per 40 is really just “per minute “ but multiplied by 40 to make it easier to read and compare that small decimal numbers.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I'm all for SHJ having a great season. He certainly has the basic tools and a breakout season is a possibility. The difference with SHJ and Armstead, Hannah, and some other trfrs is that with them having a breakout season was a likelihood, as opposed to a possibiity.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

A KAKE Sports report on SHJ this evening about that SHJ is taking on responsibility for improving his game.

There will be two seniors on this year's Wichita State squad, forward Markis McDuffie and guard Samajae Haynes-Jones. For Haynes-Jones, a Wichita East graduate, he used his junior season as a time ...

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Per 40 is really just “per minute “ but multiplied by 40 to make it easier to read and compare that small decimal numbers.
                  Well then why don't we use per 100 minutes? It would be just as easy to read and compare.

Comment

Well then why don't we use per 100 minutes? It would be just as easy to read and compare.
                    Because it also gives us a reference point as the length of a basketball game. Per-40 stats give us a frame of reference to say "Oh yeah, 30 points is a lot." Whereas I have no frame of reference for a per-100 that shows a player scores 96 points per 100 minutes or something.

I know you said per-30 is more accurate, but I don't think that's true. The first four college basketball players I thought to look up from last year were Grayson Allen, Deandre Ayton, Trae Young, and Devonte Graham. All of them averaged more than 30 minutes a game. Graham had 17 games last year where he played all 40 minutes if you include their overtime game against Duke where he played all 45.

I'm sure you're not going to pick this hill to die on, but it's also just a very common stat. Most sites that track basketball stats allow you to see per-40 for college and per-48 for NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

Because it also gives us a reference point as the length of a basketball game. Per-40 stats give us a frame of reference to say "Oh yeah, 30 points is a lot." Whereas I have no frame of reference for a per-100 that shows a player scores 96 points per 100 minutes or something.

I know you said per-30 is more accurate, but I don't think that's true. The first four college basketball players I thought to look up from last year were Grayson Allen, Deandre Ayton, Trae Young, and Devonte Graham. All of them averaged more than 30 minutes a game. Graham had 17 games last year where he played all 40 minutes if you include their overtime game against Duke where he played all 45.

I'm sure you're not going to pick this hill to die on, but it's also just a very common stat. Most sites that track basketball stats allow you to see per-40 for college and per-48 for NBA.
                      I would say, though: A significant number of statisticians argue that the per-36 stat (chosen as a range most starters would play) is more useful than a per-48 stat in the NBA, so Kel is not crazy or even out of line.

I think the idea is that a per-36 stat is a closer approximation of what a guy would produce if he were a starter without requiring a comparison with other players. If you know that 20 points, 10 rebounds and 4 steals a game IRL is killing it, a bench player with a similar per-36 is also killing it. You get an approximate player assessment without having to run a comparison with a known player's per-48 stats to put the number in context.

For many athletes in the NBA, it is not a lack of talent that stands in the way of their dreams. Instead, it’s the lack of opportunity that prevents some pros from stepping over the threshold into superstardom...
                      “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Working...
                      X