If Allen gets A Waiver From The NCAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an Allen waiver a possibility?
    Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

Originally posted by shockrah View Post
      Is an Allen waiver a possibility?
      They are hard to get, but they do happen sometimes. I guess it will be how good of case they can make for him.

Comment

I don’t know that it’s out of the question to see SHJ spend a lot of time playing off-ball on offense. Shot the 3 effectively last year and has the ability/speed to take guys off the dribble. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him getting some starts at the 2 before he lineup finally shakes out.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
          ShockingButTrue commented
          Editing a comment
          It will help out a lot to have that second ball-handler on the court, due to the amount of inexperience set to play next year. It will balance things out a little I believe.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        That would seriously impact the Shox look next season. Let's try a lineup.

1 - Torres - Doesn't know the system, but is an experienced PG
        2 - Stevenson - His attitude gives him the "way too early" edge at this spot
        3 - Allen - Teddy "Buckets" can score without using any "system". Puts a whole new spin on Torres at PG and nobody solid in the system first semester.
        4 - McDuffie - Potentially a true stretch 4, who does pretty good with offensive boards and second-chance points.
        5 - Midtgaard- Physically imposing on D and sets solid screens. Probably learned a little more than we saw last year.

That's 1 Sr, 1 Jr, 2 So's, and only 1 Fr.

The screening game could get to be an impromptu, on the spot, type of game when the wheels come off the intricacies of the system plays. It's not hard to see where Midtgaard is on the court, and Stevenson, Torres, and especially Allen can use that big body to get a step. If Allen gets a step, he's in layup drill mode.

There are a lot of newcomers we're not that familiar with. Burton and Dennis are major unknowns compared to some of the rest. Brown is another mystery player. I put Stevenson in there because he has an attitude that will go a long way in practices.

I think Moore could easily be the SF, moving Allen to SG.

Might want to close your eyes when the Shox are on the defensive end, but that was kind of the case last year.
        That is a fun starting line-up! Likely next five would be SHJ and Burton (1 & 2), Dennis at the 3, Brown at the 4, and either Udeze or Echineque at the 5. Moore and Chandler have to prove it on D before I can move them into the rotation.
        Livin the dream

Comment

I would be encouraged if SHJ started at any time next year. That would mean he went from last option off the bench to starter. It would mean he could beat out a JuCo AA for a starting spot. That would indicate a tremendous amount of growth and development. A TREMENDOUS amount.

But, please, please not at SG. He's seriously undersized for a SG.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Shockm
            Shockm commented
            Editing a comment
            We forget that SHJ was a Juco All American. Everyone becomes a mature Div. 1 player at their own pace. Are you or anyone sure which of our recruits are ready for upper Div. 1 College Basketball? There is no way to know until they compete against the best players.

• SB Shock
            SB Shock commented
            Editing a comment
            We really need some scrimmage reports from some of the SN faithful when they start in June.

What's the time-table on this type of thing? Should we expect a verdict from the NCAA this week?

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            I would be encouraged if SHJ started at any time next year. That would mean he went from last option off the bench to starter. It would mean he could beat out a JuCo AA for a starting spot. That would indicate a tremendous amount of growth and development. A TREMENDOUS amount.

But, please, please not at SG. He's seriously undersized for a SG.
            He the same size as Frankamp. Actually has him by a few pounds.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              That is true and Conner was undersized for a shooting guard and it clearly was a challenge for him during his college career and perhaps even more so against the length and athleticism of the AAC. Samajae needs to be able to play the pont to make his most effective contribution.

• Slykryck
              Slykryck commented
              Editing a comment
              Problem for CF wasn’t just his size though. He didn’t have the speed to take players off the dribble. SHJ has a different problem...he can take them off the dribble, just couldn’t finish.

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
            What's the time-table on this type of thing? Should we expect a verdict from the NCAA this week?
            image.jpg
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Why does anyone expect Allen would get a waiver? I'm sure I probably missed something, but wondering what his circumstances are? Is it because of family reasons?
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                Why does anyone expect Allen would get a waiver? I'm sure I probably missed something, but wondering what his circumstances are? Is it because of family reasons?

Comment

• ShockerPrez
                  ShockerPrez commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. Cant see tweets on the mobile SN site. Makes sense now.

When should we have an answer for this opportunity?

Comment

Originally posted by Slykryck View Post

He the same size as Frankamp. Actually has him by a few pounds.
                  inch or two or three shorter, yes?

Comment

• Slykryck
                    Slykryck commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haven’t seen them side by side, but both are listed at 6’0. SHJ listed like 5-10 pounds heavier.

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    nm

• Slykryck
                    Slykryck commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well damn. And I fed into it.

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

inch or two or three shorter, yes?
                  43579826.jpg

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

It would be great for the appeal to go through...I just don't think it's going to happen.

Comment

I personally think Allen getting a waiver makes things too crowded unless he forces a freshman to redshirt.

We are absolutely loaded from top to bottom. There aren't many dice rolls as far as talent on this roster. Everybody can play.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• ShockTalk
                        ShockTalk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I believe who Allen's situation effects most, to varying degrees and who he may push to another position, are Burton, Dennis, Stevenson, Moore, and Brown, all freshmen. Assuming no RS other than Allen, I guess I don't see the difference.
                        1) you have all the freshmen and one soph this year
                        2) he redshirts and you have them all being sophs next year

• Aargh
                        Aargh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The difference is that we're better this year ('18-'19) than we would be with Allen sitting. Then if a Fr takes a shirt, we're better down the road with a 5-year guy out of the Fr class.

• C0|dB|00ded
                        C0|dB|00ded commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Gregg Marshall is not exactly consumed by the idea of having balanced classes. He wants the best team on the floor every year within reason. This being his most talented class to date, I think he can afford to ease up on the depth. At some point depth begins to hurt when you can't even develop your players.

T

...:cool:
                    Working...
                    X