AMA about Wichita State Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Just read yesterday that Phil Jackson was admired for not taking timeouts and letting his players work through adversity. Maybe GGG thinks Mr. Jackson was a prettty good coach.
    Phil jackson also coached MJ and Kobe. Its easy to do that when you have a FVV running the ship, less so when you don't....

Comment

Taylor, love reading your articles! Also, appreciate your incorporation of analytics. If our 2019 squad plays to the level our beat writer, we'll be damn good!

warning...I'm blasting you with everything I've been wondering about. Don't feel obligated to answer all or even most. Any responses are much appreciated!

1. Did we have behind the scenes locker room issues with last seasons team? If so, do you think those issues have been resolved?

2. How do both you and the staff feel about replacing Lomax with Torres? Any sense on the 2019 impact they expect from Torres in comparison to what they had for Alo? Before releasing, did you/coaches expect SHJ to have a realistic chance to compete with Alo for the starting job?

3. Give us a your guess about a player or two we may be talking about years from now like we currently do Ron, FVV, Cotton, Cle, Landry, etc? My picks are Stevenson, Dexter, and Chance Moore. CM is my pick as the next NBA guy.

Comment

• FadedCrown
        FadedCrown commented
        Editing a comment
        Even our 2018 squad could not play to the level of our beat writer.

• tayloreldridge
        tayloreldridge commented
        Editing a comment
        1. The locker room was certainly a strange place following the Marshall loss in San Diego. But I don't think there were any major locker room problems going on behind the scenes last season. I'm sure things got testy because they lost more than they thought they should have, but nothing to the point where it affected on-the-court play. If you think about it, they are 1 break away from beating Notre Dame and winning the Maui title, beating Cincy on senior day and winning a share of the AAC title, and beating Houston and playing for a conference title. It's crazy to think how different the season would have been if any of those things happened.

2. I think Marshall said it best on the radio yesterday: WSU rallied about as well as it could have following Landry and Lomax leaving. Torres doesn't offer the long-term upside since he's a JUCO, but he's a ready-to-go point guard who I know the staff is very high on. I think Samajae was always going to have a chance to compete and if what Marshall is saying is true about Samajae overcoming his stomach problems, then he could be a force. I could see a situation where Torres and Samajae play around 20 minutes each if that's the case. I think it would have been the same with A-Lo.

3. Moore certainly is intriguing since he's 6-7 (or is it 6-9?) with guard-like skills and can score from all 3 levels. I don't think he's going to have a problem getting buckets, but it will be interesting to see if he buys into defense and uses that length the way Marshall wants him to. I like Stevenson's game a lot, too. Kid is just a pit bull on the court and won't back down from anybody, which I think Shocker fans will really appreciate. But don't sleep on Torres. I think he has a really high ceiling and is only going to get better under Marshall, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a standout player when he's a senior.

Have you heard anything about who the Intrust Bank Arena opponent may be?

Comment

• tayloreldridge
        tayloreldridge commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not. I spoke with Boatright last week about it and he said it is still TBD.

Thanks for all you do. You are almost too good. Need you to count to 5 before you tweet sometimes! remember there is a delay on the tv for those of us that arent able to watch in person!!! haha

Comment

• tayloreldridge
        tayloreldridge commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! I have heard this actually before. I try not to tweet so much play-by-play because of it!

How did the N’Diaye visit go? Are they not expecting a decision until after Arop visits?
      The Assman

Comment

• tayloreldridge
        tayloreldridge commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been trying to get a hold of his coach for 3 straight days now. He's a hard guy to get in touch with. I'll try to have an update as soon as possible!

Taylor, really have enjoyed all your comments and posts. Please keep them coming.

Comment

• tayloreldridge
        tayloreldridge commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do. Thank you!

Taylor, we have had some solid folks doing what you do in times past. You are already my favorite and very informative. You also love the Shocks which is more than fine with us. Happy to see you on here. I'm wishing we could still sign both players we are still seeking if circumstances open up. Do you think the final signed Class will be ranked around 25th? If not, it probably should because Coach Marshall and his Staff are aces at finding and signing really good players that are under ranked. By doing so, this has been instrumental in big wins at Dances in times past versus such teams as the Zags, Indiana, Arizona, Ohio State, KU, etc.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• tayloreldridge
        tayloreldridge commented
        Editing a comment
        It's hard to say since so many of these players that Marshall is going after have fallen through the cracks of the recruiting services. I doubt they finish in the top-25 just because not many of these players have stars on these sites. Doesn't mean this isn't a great recruiting class, just that they don't have the stars. But if we've learned anything from Marshall's tenure at WSU, it's that you can count on him turning under-recruited players into big-time college players.

I appreciate any media member that has the “guts” to come on here and communicate with a bunch of anonymous fans. Bruce Heartl is the only other one I can remember doing it. We all knew Bob Lutz came here for news ideas although he would never admit to it.
      Last edited by Dan; April 30, 2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• tayloreldridge
        tayloreldridge commented
        Editing a comment
        I enjoy the fan interactions! Looking forward to it.

Hey Taylor, Any news on Abdou Ndaiye yet? Do we know when he will make a decision?

Comment

• tayloreldridge
        tayloreldridge commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been trying to get a hold of his coach all weekend. We almost touched base earlier today, so I'm hoping I'll hear from him tonight and I'll have an update on Ndiaye for Tuesday morning.

With only 1 scholarship remaining but several recruits out there that WSU seems to be going after, do you foresee anyone being brought in and shipped off to sunrise?

Comment

• tayloreldridge
        tayloreldridge commented
        Editing a comment
        That's certainly a possibility, but the majority of the players WSU is bringing in already has done a post-grad year. I think it's in play, but unsure how likely it is. So many moving parts right now with this final scholarship, it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

tayloreldridge
      #18.1
      tayloreldridge commented
      4 days ago
      I grew up in Wichita and attended WSU, but was never really a Wichita State fan honestly. I do remember when I was in high school and our class got to watch the Tennessee game in 2006. If I had to pick, it would probably be Ramon Clemente because he was in one of my classes at WSU and would show up to class in sunglasses. It was great.

As far as this season, I really like Rashard Kelly and all of the little things that he did to help make WSU a winning team. He certainly had his shortcomings on offense, but I loved the defense and rebounding he brought to the table. And the double-block in Maui was maybe the highlight of the season.

tayloreldridge
      #21.1
      tayloreldridge commented
      4 days ago
      Thank you! I appreciate it. Like you said, advanced stats are great to use to research when you have a hunch about something. I wish there would be lineup +/- because I would find that fascinating to see how certain lineups did last season for WSU.

And honestly it's not that difficult. I'm never been a WSU fan or really watched much WSU basketball before this season (and the last season I saw watching film). So that helps staying objective. Of course there is some attachment since I travel wherever the team goes and spend the season with them, but it's not like I'm rooting for them to win or lose. I feel like my role is to provide a look at the team that you can't get from watching the game. I want to add to the experience and tell you something you didn't know, even though we watched the same game. Whether that's bringing you quotes from the locker room, providing advanced numbers that show you something the box score didn't, or breaking down video of plays, I want to add to your experience of being a WSU fan.

Mr. Eldridge I appreciate your candor. May I ask - did you have a rooting interest while at college or were you not much of a sport's fan?

Excellent work at the Eagle BTW; shocker fans have an unlimited appetite for news and info regarding their team.

P.S. Objectivity will earn you little from Shocker Nation readership so you needn't strive for it! ;)

T

...:cool:

Comment

• tayloreldridge
        tayloreldridge commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't really been a die-hard fan of any team for a while now. I've just enjoyed watching the game of basketball. I love watching the NBA and certain players, and then I'm on the same way with college basketball. I try to watch as much as possible just to see what other teams and coaches are doing.

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      tayloreldridge
      #18.1
      tayloreldridge commented
      4 days ago
      I grew up in Wichita and attended WSU, but was never really a Wichita State fan honestly. I do remember when I was in high school and our class got to watch the Tennessee game in 2006. If I had to pick, it would probably be Ramon Clemente because he was in one of my classes at WSU and would show up to class in sunglasses. It was great.

As far as this season, I really like Rashard Kelly and all of the little things that he did to help make WSU a winning team. He certainly had his shortcomings on offense, but I loved the defense and rebounding he brought to the table. And the double-block in Maui was maybe the highlight of the season.

tayloreldridge
      #21.1
      tayloreldridge commented
      4 days ago
      Thank you! I appreciate it. Like you said, advanced stats are great to use to research when you have a hunch about something. I wish there would be lineup +/- because I would find that fascinating to see how certain lineups did last season for WSU.

And honestly it's not that difficult. I'm never been a WSU fan or really watched much WSU basketball before this season (and the last season I saw watching film). So that helps staying objective. Of course there is some attachment since I travel wherever the team goes and spend the season with them, but it's not like I'm rooting for them to win or lose. I feel like my role is to provide a look at the team that you can't get from watching the game. I want to add to the experience and tell you something you didn't know, even though we watched the same game. Whether that's bringing you quotes from the locker room, providing advanced numbers that show you something the box score didn't, or breaking down video of plays, I want to add to your experience of being a WSU fan.

Mr. Eldridge I appreciate your candor. May I ask - did you have a rooting interest while at college or were you not much of a sport's fan?

Excellent work at the Eagle BTW; shocker fans have an unlimited appetite for news and info regarding their team.

P.S. Objectivity will earn you little from Shocker Nation readership so you needn't strive for it! ;)

T

...:cool:
      Those comments made me cringe as well, but the man is honest and straightforward with us, and fully committed to and providing excellent coverage of the Shocks!

I am truly surprised he has come to this fine forum and shared his insight with us here!

Comment

He’s not unusual in that regard. Look how many students are at WSU versus the number that attend games. When I was in college we had to drag people to the games. Unfortunately, I think that’s just the way it is at WSU for a lot of students. They’re there for other things, attending sporting events can be low on the priority scale.

Comment

• tayloreldridge
          tayloreldridge commented
          Editing a comment
          WSU went 17-14, 11-20 and 17-17 my first three years there, so it wasn't exactly the best time to be a student, either. I stayed in Wichita and went to WSU so I could write for the Eagle and cover high school sports as soon as I graduated high school.

My question for Taylor is “why did he and/or the K State beat writer leave out the fact that KSU has been avoiding playing WSU for years from the article ? Doesn’t that information seem pertinent to the article? It was a one sided article that leaves out historical context.

Comment

• tayloreldridge
          tayloreldridge commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't write the story, so I can't really answer the part about the historical context. I just asked WSU if Boatright and/or Marshall would like to comment on the story and they both declined with the media relations guy telling me he felt like WSU's side was covered in the story.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        My question for Taylor is “why did he and/or the K State beat writer leave out the fact that KSU has been avoiding playing WSU for years from the article ? Doesn’t that information seem pertinent to the article? It was a one sided article that leaves out historical context.
        It's a great question and fully understanding you are asking Mr. Taylor this question I applogize for interjecting...but normally...at least whenever I read an article that is "slanted" toward an obvious side... its obvious intent is to reach a particular audience to fit the precieved narrative. In this case the K-State fans.

Plus if the writer crosses a line and either side takes offense...the journalist may lose credibility from a good source for a later story down the road. A fine line presents itself and balance sometimes becomes compromised.

I have not read the article (can't find it)...anybody got a link?
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• pie n eye
          pie n eye commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe by the time you finish your shift at Chick-Fil-A Mr. Taylor will post it for you.
      Working...
      X