• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Villanova would have beat us by 5 if we played to our potential

Comment

• SweetShocker
      SweetShocker commented
      Editing a comment
      No. The Shockers would win.If Landry, Shaq, McDuffy and Frankamp did with our deep bench,we would win.

With Austin or without, the script for next year is the same. Growing pains early, dangerous late. Does that translate to a Top 25 finish and an NCAA berth? 20 wins and bubble team would be my guess. Bottom line: There's no money in betting against Gregg Marshall, and, from what I've seen, I believe you can say the same about Stevenson and Dennis. This is gonna be a crazy year.
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
      This past Season, we were maybe the most experienced team in College Basketball. This Season, we will be among the youngest. So the Shocks will be young and SN will be restless. While I'm not worried, I'm keeping my expectations to a mild roar. Last Season, expectations of experts for our beloved Shocks were 'Final 4 potential' and were through the roof before we ever even played a game. Not so this Season, with a team that 'pregame roster programs' will be more highly sought after and needed than stale nachos, popcorn, peanuts, cracker-
      jacks, and even soda pop.

What does it all mean? Coach Marshall will have quite the coaching challenge, but rises up to such endeavors. Once our recruiting class is finalized, it may be our best ever 3G Class of recruits in both numbers but also talent? Even so, patience will be a needed virtue to mesh this talented, but wet behind the ears, new Shocker squad. Will this squad be more athletic and in time play better defense? Dunno, but we won't have a Senior inside force like Shaq or a future ready NBA guard like LS outside right at first. So is a 20 win Season asking too much? Will 3G mesh this team in into a Dance team this Season? That seems too lofty, right? Dunno, but in the following Season he might? Stay tuned, and make sure you get a ' roster I.D. program' for a few games as we watch for all of the new players being recruited and soon signed, even as I write. I'm hoping for some good news maybe even today or by next week as our cleanly shaved Coaching Staff puts the final touches to this influx and reloading of new recruits. "Programs, come and get your roster program."
      It is a very elusive target when attempting to project how the talents of the newcomers might fit together, who is going to be the next Tekele who I said after watching one early practice his freshman year; "Cotton is a guy who didn't score much or handle the ball much, but every time a play was made, he was there." Who knows who will be the Evan Wessel/Graham Hatch that spurs every teammate on? Will SHJ be the James Gibbs who everybody said his first three season, get him back on the bench? -- He had a pretty good senior season guiding the Shockers to a 25-3 record in 1983. (the year-by-year scores in the Basketball guide does not even list Gibbs as one of the top 8 players prior to his senior year. Who has all the physical talent but struggles to learn the Shocker system like Eric Hamilton, Ty Taylor II and others? Is there a Jake White that can take a charge and hopefully get a fair call?

Basically, all we really know at this point is their name. SNers hype some more than others, but based on what, really? Gut feel, mostly. I have high hopes for each and every one of our recruits, but know there will be hits and misses, immediate contributors and slower developing players. Heck, can anybody report accurately on what Rod Brown will bring to the table next season? He's been in the system a year and I haven't heard anything about his progress.

Although it wouldn't really help, I would like to have the senior season statistics for each of our recruits, but have tried to find them and have mostly come up empty.

I had somebody tell me last night what a tremendous kid and great athlete Tate Busse is. Averaged 28 points in 2A competition and was three sport star. The next JR Simon type who can maybe contribute some? We've had some walk-ons that were, frankly, indispensible even without much court time.

All this being said, is it 12:40 p.m. yet?
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

WSU's recruiting class is rated as the #33 class. If that rating is correct, some pessimism is justified. That would mean that 32 colleges have better Fr class than WSU. WSU has exactly 1 (one) established D1 player to throw into the mix with those Fr and newcomers.

I've never counted on Fr for much of anything when evaluating the next year. If Fr provide any benefit, I've always counted that as frosting on the cake. We don't really have much of a cake next year. It's more like a cupcake.

There is less returning talent next year than there was when Marshall got here. Recruiting is better than that year, but so is the competition.

Fans have to be prepared to take the good years along with the bad years. I'm prepared for a bad year next year. By Marshall standards, a very bad year.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• choida
          choida commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking we stay top 3 in AAC and figure out a way to get to the big dance

• Shock Top
          Shock Top commented
          Editing a comment
          They had a top 25 class until Lomax backed out, and have added more talent since then.

Shox will be fine.

The good news is that we probably won't be worse at any point over the next 4 years than we will be at the beginning of next year. And you need a little bad every once in a while to really appreciate the good years.

Comment

• SweetShocker
          SweetShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Hopefully, McDuffie will return. Especially since he isn't even close to being ready for the NBA.

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
        The good news is that we probably won't be worse at any point over the next 4 years than we will be at the beginning of next year. And you need a little bad every once in a while to really appreciate the good years.
        Which is exactly why some Kentucky fans were calling for Calipari's head this season.

Comment

The only thing we have to go on is 3G's past record at Wichita State which is terrific. Keep in mind that a good part of that stellar record was achieved with guys like Chris Jans, Greg Heiar and Steve Forbes at his side. His record at Winthrop is very good also although he did go 18-13 and 19-12 in his 3rd and 4th years at Winthrop after going 21-8 and 21-9 in his first two years. In year 5 at Wintrhrop he went 20-10 and then fell to 16-12 before finishing his last 3 years at Winthrop with his 3 best years.

The scholarship players who have actually played in a D-1 basketball game that are returning are Markis, Samajae and Asbjorn. None showed enough last year to get anyone overly excited although Markis was pretty good his sophomore year. Maybe we will add a grad transfer that would help with the experience.

I think we have a very good recruiting class and I think we will add a few more quality players to the mix. Nevertheless projecting how a newcomer will transition to D-1 basektball at the AAC level from either high school, prep school or juco ball is generally a crapshoot and at the very minimum takes some time.

The bottom line is that visibility for next year is just not very good. Doesn't mean we won't be good. Just almost impossible to handicap. At this point I'm gearing up to enjoy the process of watching a young team with a lot of potential develop. I think we will know by the end of next season, irrespective of wins and losses, how successful that process has been.

I would say I am cautiously optimisitic but prepared for a lot of growing pains while looking forward to what should be a very interesting season.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 20, 2018, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            At this point I'm gearing up to enjoy the process of watching a young team with a lot of potential develop. I think we will know by the end of next season, irrespective of wins and losses, how successful that process has been.

I would say I am cautiously optimisitic but prepared for a lot of growing pains while looking forward to what should be a very interesting season.
            This, this, this. I'm excited to get behind a group trying to figure it all out; hopefully in a balls-to-the-wall, Play Angry kind of way. I liked Burton's comment in his announcement today that WSU had pitched him on growing your wings when you're already flying.
            Last edited by Cdizzle; April 20, 2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
              Sub .500 next year.
              You should probably be careful here.

Comment

21-10, win the American tournament. Who knows what happens in the NCAA's.

Comment

I will not be as disappointed after next year as I was afyer this year...

Of that much I am sure.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Aargh
                    Aargh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ^^^This

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

You should probably be careful here.
                  1979 Freshman class Antoine Carr, Cliff Livingston, Ozell Jones. Transfer PG Randy Smithson becomes eligible. 17-12. It will be difficult for a team with basically 1 returning player with any experience. Freshman will struggle. Not the Valley anymore. Kentucky's highly touted frosh struggle.

Comment

• SweetShocker
                    SweetShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When it came to Smithson and Jones; they were a big drop off compared to Carr and Levingston. Smithson was mediocre at best,, and Ozell was grossly overrated just like Orupke.

• Aargh
                    Aargh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Didn't both Smithson and Jones spend some time in the NBA?

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

This is just stupid speculation bordering panic. Maybe something happened. Maybe players were involved. Maybe coaches were involved. There are too many current Seniors and possible factions. No way this is kept quiet. We probably would already be hearing things now or soon if you are correct. Don't make things up because in the long view, stupid rumors could hurt the recruitment of players we are trying to attract.
                  Please accept my apologies for lacking the intellect to meet your standards; I thought I was just responding to a poll on Shockernet.

I guess I could choose to believe in rainbows and unicorns, as a number of Shockernet posters have but as mentioned previously, lacking the intellect to believe in such a scenario I choose to believe what my eyes saw this past season coupled with my work history experience in managing young people.
                  Last edited by Shocker1976; April 21, 2018, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• Shocker1976
                    Shocker1976 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't want to build a comprehensive list of facts for you but seven facts that quickly come to mind -

1. Decline in Shocker defense resulting in every opponent having a field day shooting 3's

2. 14 pt half time lead against Notre Dame, led for 38 minutes, up 12 points with 12 minutes to go - loss

3. 5 point loss to SMU in Koch Arena

4. 14 point loss to Houston in game where Shockers were not competitive

5. 7 point lead against Temple with 5 minutes and 5 point lead in overtime - loss

6. 6 point loss to 13th seeded Marshall in the NCAAT

7. Markis McDuffie is only roster member with significant playing time not asking for a release

• Aargh
                    Aargh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    People have to be really close to the players - I mean REALLY close, so close the players know that person would never repeat a single word - before the players will even hint at any "fact" that may occur in practice, in games, in the locker room, or among the players. fans speculate and base that on observable facts.

Shamet was projected as a late first round or second round NBA pick. That's dangerous territory for the draft because there's a strong likelihood of no guaranteed money. Shamet was on a record-setting pace for declaring for the NBA the moment the season ended. Didn't want to test the waters, didn't want to go to the combines to see how his draft stock would evaluate. He could have done all that. He didn't

Brett Barney is among the most loyal Shocker fans and his lifelong dream was to play for WSU, even as a walkon. He left. We expected Keyser to leave, so that's a no-issue. The projected starting PG next year left.

Those are facts. Happy players don't leave. That's another fact. All those facts put together seem to strain (but not eliminate) the possibility of a coincidence.

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not saying I agree or disagree, but the "facts" sure indicate a reasonable possibility. Aargh, I'll change your comment, "The projected starting PG next year left" to The projected starting PG, SG, SF, whereever he was most needed next year, left.
                Working...
                X