Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Case Scenario - Time to Trust the Process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I trust the process. I also know what a team with 1 returning D1 player looks like when that team is not recruiting a barn full of 5*'s and McD AA's. Even teams that do that end up like Kentucky a few years ago and find themselves in the NIT.

The "Process" is likely to result in a finish in the bottom half of the league next year. If Marshall thought he earned $3.5 mill when things were going good, then he better think he has earned some heat when things go wrong. You know, things like losing every single meaningful player except 1 after a disappointing season.

Being good for a while, but not being able to maintain that, is not a way to shed the "mid-major" label.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

If the process means taking a step back for a season, possibly missing NCAAT, while fully reloading the stable with a different level and type of recruits - all setting it up for another monumental run in a couple years...Then where do I sign up for my seat on the bus?

Comment

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        So what are you saying? WSU was just a little mid-major that had a lucky run and now they are getting real players?

Every f4 run takes a little bit of good fortune. I won't say we were lucky but everything GM touched turned to gold at that time - Ron, FVV, Malcom, heck even Carl Hall all turned to gold in different ways.

I'm in the camp of this being a hard reset. The entire coaching staff learned a lot in the inaugural aac season and after getting severely pushed around in a non-play angry fashion made a calculated decision to reset into a different direction. They're simply going after different recruits, which is exactly one of the benefits they openly touted when joining the aac. I don't think they would have scored on these recruits this late in the game if we're still in the mvc.

Comment

• BOBB
        BOBB commented
        Editing a comment
        This. KU has had much better teams than this year. To win 4 straight against good comp o a neutral floor takes some luck or a legendary level squad.

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        I see your point and agree with it to a certain extent but the way you stated it is a little disrespectful to former players and the program they built. It was obvious from the time they stepped on campus that Fred and Ron could play anywhere. The group of players last year were a top 20 team the entire year.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I trust the process. I also know what a team with 1 returning D1 player looks like when that team is not recruiting a barn full of 5*'s and McD AA's. Even teams that do that end up like Kentucky a few years ago and find themselves in the NIT.

The "Process" is likely to result in a finish in the bottom half of the league next year. If Marshall thought he earned $3.5 mill when things were going good, then he better think he has earned some heat when things go wrong. You know, things like losing every single meaningful player except 1 after a disappointing season.

Being good for a while, but not being able to maintain that, is not a way to shed the "mid-major" label.
      Dude, you need to back away from the ledge. Most of what you are saying has merit, but dialed back to "5" from "11." This team doesn't finish in the bottom half of the conference. Book it. We are not the only team with significant turnover. Now we may be playing in the CIT or NIT come March, but if the team is improving that will be a fun ride.

Now if this team is worse in February than in November, I will jump with you "Butch and Sundance"/"Thelma and Louise" style.

One more thing, if we beat Cincinnati at home for a conference title, or win the conference tourney and beat Marshall losing to WVU, was the season a disappointment? Talking about 1 or 2 more wins. I'm with you that we didn't live up to lofty expectations this year, but the bar was pretty damn high.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Dude, you need to back away from the ledge. Most of what you are saying has merit, but dialed back to "5" from "11." This team doesn't finish in the bottom half of the conference. Book it. We are not the only team with significant turnover. Now we may be playing in the CIT or NIT come March, but if the team is improving that will be a fun ride.

Now if this team is worse in February than in November, I will jump with you "Butch and Sundance"/"Thelma and Louise" style.

One more thing, if we beat Cincinnati at home for a conference title, or win the conference tourney and beat Marshall losing to WVU, was the season a disappointment? Talking about 1 or 2 more wins. I'm with you that we didn't live up to lofty expectations this year, but the bar was pretty damn high.
        "If we beat Cincy at home or won the conference tournament" are strictly hypotheticals. We didn't win those. We also looked undisciplined/unorganized in many of our games. Players have mentioned that there "were issues". Many of us commented upon it all year. The only games The Shocks played really well were the first Cincy game and the first half of the first Houston game. You could say that we played well in the 2nd Tulsa game...but, I'll say that if it wasn't for Austin's 3 point barrage, even that was iffy. I think Aargh, and his comments, are spot on". Yes, there were lofty expectaiotns...from the fans, from the press, from the team, and even from coach's comments. But, even against lesser opponents in the pre-season, there was bad play. If it were up to me, they'd lace 'em up and play tomorrow (provided we could find enough players). But, expectations are WAY down...and, it's going to take a lot of work to see them raised. I'm excited for the journey...it'll be interesting to see how the puzzles fall together. But, there is an incredible mountain to climb.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if we are able to participate in summer international exhibition tour this year?

Comment

• Windiwu
            Windiwu commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately no.

• SHOXJOCK
            SHOXJOCK commented
            Editing a comment
            Didn't we pass on one last year because of all seniors? Knowing it would help this year.

• Stickboy46
            Stickboy46 commented
            Editing a comment
            It's one every 4 years and we took one two years ago

I looked it up and found that the Goodwill Tour in Canada was in 2016, so I think we have to wait two more years. Too bad, it would have been a good opportunity to get some game experience together before entering the fall.

Comment

Actually you don't need the tour with open try outs... It's more helpful when you can actually find out what your rotation will actually look like

Comment

Working...
            X