No announcement yet.

Austin Reaves transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unless HCGM is retiring early, going to Florida International, or Lavar Ball's New league he's not going anywhere this year. This is not due to a head coaching change.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Perhap there is no one to be angry with. I suppose it's possible Austin is simply making what he thinks is the best move for him basketball-wise. Maybe he wants to sit out a year to work on his body but didn't think that would be fair to a rebuilding Shocker program. Let 3G bring in another shcolarship player to fill his spot for the next two years.

Trying to be as positive about this as I can. Not easy to do.

Comment

• Austin, if for some crazy reason you come on to Shockernet, you are freaking loved by Shockernation dude.

It's always a bummer when a player decides to transfer out (even walk-ons) but this one takes the cake. Despite any dumb article written by some pimple-faced doofus at the Sunflower, we know Austin is a stud. This was his and McDuffie's team so it's a little hard to see, but when you look at it from the perspective of a 20 year old kid, it makes a little more sense.

Whoever lands Austin is getting a helluva basketball player. Please Austin, pretty please pull a Kaelon Malone on us and not transfer out. This sucks.

Comment

• I never saw this coming and am trying to step back from the cliff but damn, this one really baffles me. Irrespective of his decision, I will always be an Austin Reaves fan. The kid had grit and, despite a couple of bum shoulders, never backed down from anyone.

Eldridge implied that there was nothing deeper going on with the program after the two walk-ons and CJ transferred so I'm hopeful he's right and the program will be just fine.

But this also explains why 3G has had his eye on so many guards, dispatching DJ and others to home visits as well as visiting them himself. Personally, I think he's setting himself for another COY award, because if he can pull off a conference championship with what, NINE new scholarship players, he will have earned every bit of those 3g's he gets paid.

Go Shox!

Comment

• ....dang.

Now, I wish I'd said something encouraging to him when I saw him after the home loss. I just wanted to respect his time with his family. I'm going to miss him.

Comment

• Good thing we’re a baseball school.

Comment

• So it sounds like Kunkle has backtracked a bit. He seems to have deleted his original tweet about the Sunflower article and updated it to say this now:

The original tweet said "This article was an issue" as the first sentence.

Also, it appears the Kunkster has some real beef with the Sunflower writer as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARShocker View Post
                  A newspaper article is not an issue lol. Austin Reaves does not care what anybody says. He cares about his teammates and winning. That's it. And that's the last thing I'll say. Let the kid speak. He hasn't spoken to any media and will not do so for a few more days.
                  Usually the smarter play is to just remain silent. AR seems like a smart kid, I'd be surprised if he gives much more than a "closer to home" or "right situation" type answer.

Either way, when we don't get an answer in a few days, I'm expecting you to make a re-appearance with the details!

Comment

• Been a long, long time ago, but as I faintly recall, this feels similar to an accidental blow to the Gonads.

Nothing any of us can do but wish Austin success in all of his future endeavors.

Comment

• And, it should be said, the Sunflower is a student newspaper with vision of grandeur that SHOULD have had its funding cut. So much more can be done online. All one has to do is see the MOUNTAINS of copies of the paper that are left unread after each publication. The newspaper boxes on campus are filled with them. They are wasting money all over the place and whining like babies that people actually notice. The paper should probably be ONLY online. The quality of writing is generally poor, sensational, and not up to the standards that the university should have in place.

Comment

• Let me preface this with Reaves was probably my favorite player on last years team. It’s hard not to love a kid that shows the natural leadership and bbiq that Reaves did.

That being said, one of the reasons last years team was undone was they lacked speed and athleticism on the perimeter. Reaves did not excel in these departments. Let’s wait till 3G is done recruiting till we freak out too much. Some of these guys he is currently courting seem like game changers.
                        Last edited by Jhook89; April 19, 2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Mr. Reaves, I will miss you. I loved the enthusiasm for being a Shocker you brought with you. I greatly admire your background, character, work ethic, and toughness. God’s speed and all the best to you. Always a Shocker

Comment

• Perhaps Austin just wants to go back to PLAYING basketball at a smaller school closer to home.

Comment

• FadedCrown
                                FadedCrown commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Maybe you should go back to POSTING on Phog.net

• Busch Shock
                                Busch Shock commented
                                Editing a comment
                                F’edCrown- ‘72 grad. Born bred Wichitan. Unfortunately live in KC surrounded by beakers, dislike them all. Long time lurker on shockernet. First time I have posted on anything. Just pointing out that maybe the kid wants to get back to the joy of playing.

• FadedCrown
                                FadedCrown commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Busch Shock Just bustin' your balls. Proper response to being called a Beaker. You sounded like a Beaker. Anyway, welcome to Shockernet. Kind of a bad time to join right now but hope you enjoy your stay.

• First - I don't believe for a second that a Sunflower article had any factor in this. That's the kind of thing that's easy to say when pressed for an answer, and the answer is something that the player doesn't want to (and absolutlely isn't going to ) say.

The connection to Brett Barney raises my eyebrows. Barney was a Shocker his entire life. I felt he was so proud to have a chance to be a Shocker that playing time wasn't that big a factor I was really surprised when he left. Now one of Barney's best friends (per the reports) is also leaving.

It's rare, but not unheard of, for a player projected to get drafted in the second round to leave early.

"Normal" player turnover involves players leaving for lesser progerams. Players in "lesser" programs leave for better programs. Keyser and now Reaves are likely headed for schools (or conferences) reasonalby close to the level they're leaving. That's not "normal" player turnover.

We will never know what happened or what is happening, but Boatwright damn well better have his head wrapped around this, because there's something going on.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• pie n eye
                                pie n eye commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Guys transfer from SEC, B12, etc schools and go to Gonzaga, Villanova type schools all the time.

• Topshock
                                Topshock commented
                                Editing a comment
                                pie n eye may very will be on to something. Most everyone including players could see how last years team should have played - spread offense. Everyone except the coaches apparently.

• proshox
                                proshox commented
                                Editing a comment
                                TopShock is aligned with my thoughts. I felt LS, CF, and AR were all under utilized. Which is crazy based on how good the offense was.
                            Working...
                            X