No announcement yet.

Austin Reaves transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m struggling to find a worst transfer situation. Maybe if Austin were an upcoming senior it could be worse.

Great teammate? Check
    Leader? Check
    Fan favorite? Check
    Most important returner? Check
    Recruiting steal? Check

What a punch to the gut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      First - I don't believe for a second that a Sunflower article had any factor in this. That's the kind of thing that's easy to say when pressed for an answer, and the answer is something that the player doesn't want to (and absolutlely isn't going to ) say.

The connection to Brett Barney raises my eyebrows. Barney was a Shocker his entire life. I felt he was so proud to have a chance to be a Shocker that playing time wasn't that big a factor I was really surprised when he left. Now one of Barney's best friends (per the reports) is also leaving.

It's rare, but not unheard of, for a player projected to get drafted in the second round to leave early.

"Normal" player turnover involves players leaving for lesser progerams. Players in "lesser" programs leave for better programs. Keyser and now Reaves are likely headed for schools (or conferences) reasonalby close to the level they're leaving. That's not "normal" player turnover.

We will never know what happened or what is happening, but Boatwright damn well better have his head wrapped around this, because there's something going on.
      Agree 100%. It’s as if someone tossed a cigarette into the dumpster, there is an opportunity to keep it from blowing up, but whatever it is, it needs handled now!

Comment

• Originally posted by ARShocker View Post
        A newspaper article is not an issue lol. Austin Reaves does not care what anybody says. He cares about his teammates and winning. That's it. And that's the last thing I'll say. Let the kid speak. He hasn't spoken to any media and will not do so for a few more days.
        Ill be very surprised if he says anything more than the usual cliche stuff, to be honest.

Lets just hope he doesn't have any sick family members back home and that's the reason.

Good luck to him though. I thought he had the talent to be a first team All Conference guy.

Comment

• Thanks to Austin for his time here and thanks for being professional in his exit (let coaches know in advance and also kept his mouth shut). I really don't care what the issues were, I just want what is best for the young man and our program too. I'm hoping for a win-win.
          As we all know, everyone is replaceable - time to move on and get excited about the potential of the newest Shockers!

Comment

• Has anybody heard of an official WSU announcement at some point today. The topic is out there that this might happen.

Comment

• Stickboy46
              Stickboy46 commented
              Editing a comment
              Like an announcement unrelated to this ? Or an announcement that Austin is leaving ?

• As a UC fan, I don't know the ins and outs of WSU players, but I did notice that reaves was always wearing the shoulder brace.

Any chance that he was planning on having surgery wether he stayed at WSU or not, and thus would miss all next year anyway? If that was the case it would make sitting out for a transfer not that big of a deal at all anyway.

But I dunno. Really sucks for WSU, as i thought Reaves and Mcduffie could have been real impact players for the shockers.

Comment

• Stickboy46
              Stickboy46 commented
              Editing a comment
              He was wearing the brace because he already had surgery. Both shoulders actually

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              He had surgery during the offseason prior to last year and he also had surgery on his other shoulder previously. He has had problems with both shoulders since high school. I don't recall all the details but he has had numerous dislocations during his career. But as far as I know none this past season. But he is fearless in taking charges from guys much bigger than him. One of the ancillary issues with his shoulders is he has not been able to do much upper body strength work during his high school and collegiate career so far.

• One can say the article had nothing to do with this...I don’t believe it for a second. And I was disappointed that the Athletic department didn’t vocally defend their player. Now, one can say that “The writer had a right to his opinion”.....yes, there is that right...but, the fans and the university have the right and DUTY to defend a student as well. All of the “safe place” garbage is just that...the writer showed zero responsibility to a fellow STUDENT—-a young 19-20 year old STUDENT. If another student would have been “attacked” in such a way, publically, in the school rag, there would have been just as much consternation. The newspaper NEVER apologized or put out a statement saying anything in support of AR after the hit job. I wish their funding had been cut—completely.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Well the one guy who we know is close to Austin and has weighed in on the subject says the article had nothing to do with Austin leaving. It was a crap article but apparently not a significant factor if a factor at all.

• From where I sit, AR had a far better shooting percentage this year than did the Sunflower. The only thing, the Sunflower doesn’t have the class to bench its writer.

Comment

• If he's leaving cause all his friends are gone, that means being around his friends was probably the only time he felt accepted.. And yes that also means the atmosphere amongst the coaching staff isn't the greatest. Which would be understandable. Being in the AAC the level of insecurity within the whole program probably went up a few notches. Marshall has to produce solid wins. I bet Shamet was even wondering if he would start next year.

Comment

• This whole thing has a stink to it. No animosity toward Austin from me, but my gut says something is wrong somewhere. I also don’t think this is over yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                  If he's leaving cause all his friends are gone, that means being around his friends was probably the only time he felt accepted.. And yes that also means the atmosphere amongst the coaching staff isn't the greatest. Which would be understandable. Being in the AAC the level of insecurity within the whole program probably went up a few notches. Marshall has to produce solid wins. I bet Shamet was even wondering if he would start next year.
                  That last sentence is the most spectacularly stupid thing I've read today. Congrats.

Comment

• You all talking about the paper is actually helping them get more funding... Think about it

Comment

• This kid would have been a starter and a star. Last year he appeared to be a team leader, maybe the only one. He was a crowd favorite and a team player. There ain't no good way to spin this.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• 3 hrs, 9 pages. Impressive!

Oh, and what the heck is Marshall doing?

Comment

• shocker22
                            shocker22 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            recruiting hid butt off
                        Working...
                        X