No announcement yet.

2018-19 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me thinks by joining the AAC our recruiting channels improve. I don't know what that guy was trying to imply...but he's wrong. I mean how is New Orleans working out for Tulane? Or even SMU for that matter. According to the Mustang fans...they miss on a lot of local major talent in the nations 4th largest metro area.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
      I interpret this quote as meaning that the level of recruits the MVC Shockers could get were found nationwide, but recruits for AAC level ball may be more limited and may not be plentiful in Doo Dah. Whether that's true or not is debatable, but I don't believe it. At least not with our newfound name recognition status.
      I think it is just a stupid, ill-informed comment.

Comment

• Shockadaisical
        Shockadaisical commented
        Editing a comment
        Bingo!!!

• OregonShocker
        OregonShocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok; I was trying to be...kinder and gentler. But, yes, you're right!

I think the problem is that ******* defined recruiting base as proximity to players. I suppose that is significant if you historically have only had success recruiting close to home. But if you are only successful recruiting close to home you have a limited recruiting base. Most nationally relevant programs recruit nationally. Who has the bigger recruiting base. A program that can only recurit successfully in state and close to home or one that can succressfully recruit nationwide?

The current shocker roster (excluding walk-ons) includes playes from Louisiana (via South Carolina), New Jersey, North Carolina. Florida (via Missouri), Wichita, Tennessee, Washington, Texas, Columbia (vis Texas), Kentucky (via West Virginia), Arizona (via Nebraska and West Virginia), Denmark and Nebraska.

Now that is a big recruiting base.

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the difference is that WSU has to be strong nationally, year in and year out, due to a small local base that it shares with a perennial national power. Others who have larger home bases with more control for the top recruits in their base area can also be strong nationally, thus, an advantage.

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        I think most coaches would probably agree that it’s easier to recruit kids if one of the advantages is being able to play close to home so your friends and family and come watch you play. Schools like Temple and UConn can play that card with a lot of kids coming out of the northeast, where it’s much tougher from Kansas.

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Some kids will want to stay closed to home and some will want to spread their wings.

In any case it doesn't necessarily follow that you can't compete in the AAC if you have to recruit nationally.

Below article from Fansided. Not quite Media Love, but not Hate either. More than anything, it’s kinda sloppy journalism. Any research he’s done appears to have been from months ago. Projects Mitgaard as starting center (I’ve heard Echenique has inside track), doesn’t even mention Dennis (among numerous other players) or The potential of Teddy getting a waiver. Pretty uninformed for an article posted 4 hours ago.

Wichita State Basketball lost a majority of a core that won 25 games a year ago. Will the Shockers extend their NCAA Tournament streak despite the turnover?

Comment

Originally posted by Slykryck View Post
        Below article from Fansided. Not quite Media Love, but not Hate either. More than anything, it’s kinda sloppy journalism. Any research he’s done appears to have been from months ago. Projects Mitgaard as starting center (I’ve heard Echenique has inside track), doesn’t even mention Dennis (among numerous other players) or The potential of Teddy getting a waiver. Pretty uninformed for an article posted 4 hours ago.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/10/...-the-shockers/
        The lack of insight on our new guys doesn't bother me, looks like they just went with the guys with the most experience. Now calling Rod Brown lanky, that's just wrong.

Comment

I they no idea what they are talking about, basically just an article to have an article written and submitted.

Comment

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-jordan-poole/

Interesting list of players to watch, with Markis and Cane Broome making appearances. I think many nationally and even here are sleeping on Markis and what he can/will do. I think people forget this is the first fully healthy off-season Markis has had since before his freshman season here. Also his sophomore season is waaay underappreciated.

Comment

• Aargh
              Aargh commented
              Editing a comment
              "what have you done lately" isn't always a good thing to live by, but it seems to be human nature to apply it in many situations.

"NCAA Basketball: Best Players from each Big East/AAC team of the 21st Century (2000-2018)" - FanSided Sports

by Logan Butts
            Posted: 10.10.18, 7:19am cst

The new-look Big East and AAC have provided some impressive talents in the game of basketball. This piece provides the best lineups each team can offer.

"In the penultimate piece of our Best of the Century series, we are taking a trip to the Northeast (and beyond) with a look in at the Big East and AAC’s best players of the century. No top-level conference has seen as much team-based upheaval this century as the Big East and the American Athletic Conference (AAC).

The Great Conference Realignment and Migration movement of this decade affected these two conferences more than any other major ones. The AAC didn’t even exist technically, at least with this moniker, if you were to look back more than five years. The AAC and the “new” Big East rose out of the ashes of the “old” Big East, once considered one of THE elite basketball conferences.

Now, in its place, are two conferences that are not really considered as a part of the “Power Five” due to football reasons and other things, but they aren’t really thought of as mid-major conferences either. Despite being home to some of the best teams of this era of college basketball (Villanova is probably THE team of the current decade, Wichita State and Butler have fielded some of the most memorable squads of the last 10 years), they are lost somewhere in the middle of “Power Five” and mid-major.

Because of that, I decided to pair them together for this series. I am not sure if that is totally fair, but it felt right. On to the teams....

Wichita State
            Starting Five: Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker, Cleanthony Early, Landry Shamet, Paul Miller

Bench: Shaquille Morris, Jamar Howard, Markis McDuffie, Tekel Cotton, Carl Hall, Joe Ragland, Garrett Stutz, Toure Murray, Clevin Hannah, JT Durley, Randy Burns

MVP: Making me pick between VanVleet and Baker is like having to pick between my two song. I’m going with VanVleet if I have to pick."

Comment

Monday (October 15th) is AAC media day - per the link below Gregg Marshall, Samajae Haynes-Jones, and Markis McDuffie will be present.

http://theamerican.org/news/2018/10/...an_tipoff.aspx

Comment

Comment

• ShockerDropOut
                  ShockerDropOut commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love this, but just be Dexter Dennis. There is only one Tekele Cotton.

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree, but just imagine a 6-5 Tekele Cotton.
                  Insert shocked monkey meme here...

"John Schriffen: There Is Legitimately Nothing Like Army-Navy" - CBS St. Louis

October 18, 2018 at 11:44 am

Watch CBS News live and get the latest, breaking news headlines of the day for national news and world news today.

"The annual Army-Navy football game is one of college football’s greatest traditions, stretching back to the late 1800’s. In recent years, following the trend of the rest of the college football world, the teams have put together specialized jerseys for their annual meeting. This year is no different. Yesterday, the Midshipmen released their threads for December’s game, and they are, in a word, fire....

CBS Local Sports: You mention being close to the sideline and that’s where you are for these CBS broadcasts covering college football and basketball across the country. What’s the best stadium atmosphere you’ve been in?...

As far as college basketball, I think Wichita State. They have a really cool atmosphere there because it’s a very intimate arena, but the fans always pack it. It’s tough to get a ticket because it’s always sold out, it’s always a loud crowd and it’s always a fun time going there...."

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Obviously a fan of the AAC in terms of atmosphere, with the big game for Navy (of the conference, and also WSU's proxy football program) and then WSU's Koch Arena at the top of his list. Gotta love it.

"College basketball rankings: Kansas, Kentucky, Gonzaga lead preseason AP Poll" - NCAA.COM

BY JOE BOOZELL
                OCTOBER 22, 2018

"Let’s break each team down into tiers.

Tier 1: The best of the best (Kansas, Kentucky)

Tier 2: Right behind them (Gonzaga, Duke)

Tier 3: Title contenders, but need X to go right (Virginia, Tennessee, Wichita State, Nevada, North Carolina, Villanova)

Tier 4: Really good, but probably not championship-level good (Michigan State, Auburn, Kansas State, West Virginia, Oregon, Virginia Tech, Syracuse)

Tier 5: The best of the rest (Florida State, Mississippi State, Michigan, TCU, UCLA, Clemson, LSU, Purdue, Washington)..."

Hell, we didn't even make the top 25, but he still thinks the Shockers are National Title Contenders.

Last edited by WuShock Reaper; October 22, 2018, 05:36 PM. Reason: Fixed the URL link for the article

Comment

• shockrah
                  shockrah commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks as if we've been removed?

• RoyalShock
                  RoyalShock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The first release of the AP poll had WSU in the top 10. The AP then fixed the error. So this guy probably saw the initial poll and wrote an obviously ignorant article based on it.

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe there was a one year time warp involved? Some of those names and placements would have been plausible last season, too.

nm
                Last edited by 1979Shocker; October 28, 2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

2018 Wichita State Men's Basketball Sizzle Video
                  via the American Athletic Conference

Not really "media love" unless you believe in the tenet of any media is good media. I also thought for sure there would be an add placement for Colt 45 in there somewhere.:very_drunk:

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                    Shocktoberfest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tough to do a pre season hype video when nearly every player from every clip is no longer here. Ugh! Let's roll!!! Time to build some new memories. Stoked for tomorrow!
                Working...
                X