New Schools Named in FBI Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
    I would love to see KU finally get what they deserve, but I still don't have any confidence that anything substantial will actually happen. So far it sounds like KU plans to follow the example set by UNC with the fake classes and fight it until the NCAA gives up.
    This isn't comparable to UNC though. UNC got off by fighting that National College ATHLETICS Association doesn't have any jurisdiction to define what their curriculum is and since the classes were available to all students not just Athletes, it falls outside of their control.

KU directing payments only to players to get their commitment isn't even in the same ballpark as UNC. This is directly in the NCAA control.

Comment

• LJ World language in the lede is laughable. KU "came under attack" by the NCAA. Poor innocent babies. Minding their own business when the NCAA breaks in and assaults them.
      “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        KU has 90 days to formulate a response. From what I gather, their primary defense is that the Addidas reps acted on their own and are not considered boosters or agents of KU, per the definitions provided by the NCAA.
        Except in the trial, KU identified one as a booster. And Self is caught texting a booster to get a recruit ...

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          they're grasping at straws. I don't know how the NCAA identifies and agent or a booster, but common sense says if someone is acting on your behalf and is being directed by you they are your agent, whether you have a formal contract or not.

• I'm all for hitting KU, but not being able to investigate Duke, UNC, and UK for the crap they pull (which, if we're being honest, probably makes what KU does seem like nothing) is dumb.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
          Self's defense. You can't prove that we knew without a doubt. "Gassnola said as a witness that the KU coaches didn't know he (shoe company) paid the players but they did tell us that we needed to get to work and talk them into changing their minds and coming to KU."

Wink, Wink. Wink.

:)

They don't have to prove without a doubt though .. this isn't a criminal case ...

Comment

• The powerful always slide in politics and sports. They will promise to do better in the future and the past will be ignored.

Comment

• shockrah
              shockrah commented
              Editing a comment
              "We'll do better! We promise to double our paid recruits within the 2 year penalty phase!"

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
            I'm all for hitting KU, but not being able to investigate Duke, UNC, and UK for the crap they pull (which, if we're being honest, probably makes what KU does seem like nothing) is dumb.
            Were they implicated in the FBI sting?

No offense Kel, but, "seem like nothing?"

Those chickenhawk players have been running roughshod all over Lawrence for the last 10+ years. The ncaa is just now getting to a lack of institutional control? We've heard of no such stories coming out of chapel hill or lexington. And yes, we're aware of the academic fraud. Does ku not have academic fraud on campus?

But the Rug deserves some credit for dumping L. vick at about the same time all of this was blowing up. Good pr move. But alas...
            Last edited by ShockingButTrue; September 24, 2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              keep in mind that the NCAA only named 2 players. I'm sure the actual list of infractions is much longer, there's just no concrete proof.

• ShockingButTrue
              ShockingButTrue commented
              Editing a comment
              "were they implicated?" meaning unc or kentucky, which they weren't, that I know of...

• "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Will you guys shut up ... Bill Self is simply a world class recruiter and Kansas is so vaunted that all recruits are dying to go there. Bribes aren't necessary to land recruits and Adidas was unnecessarily handing recruits cash that Kansas wasn't aware of.

By the way, obstructing a criminal investigation is .. well .. criminal. But using a barrage of lawyers to obstruct an NCAA investigation is perfectly legal and just solid use of Kansas taxpayer money.
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                kcshocker11, forgive me for not being interested enough to click your link. It's not you, it's them.

• Stickboy46
                Stickboy46 commented
                Editing a comment
                kcshocker11 .... oh my, that is comedy gold. Screaming about tyranny when they got caught cheating. It's seriously a giant group of toddlers.

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                Okay, okay ... now I have to click on it ...

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              I'm all for hitting KU, but not being able to investigate Duke, UNC, and UK for the crap they pull (which, if we're being honest, probably makes what KU does seem like nothing) is dumb.
              Duke, UNC and UK are all Nike. No one from Nike got caught by the FBI. The NCAA can't investigate private companies, they can't even investigate their own schools. They don't have subpoena power. They can literally tell the NCAA no when they ask to look into stuff. You can't do that to the FBI. Adidas just happened to get caught by the FBI for criminal charges. That's why KU and likely a couple others are in trouble. KU was the big dog for Adidas.

Comment

• Le Batard has been hammering KU and Self this morning on his show. Time for the "company men" talking heads at ESPN to come to Self's defense!

Comment

• The only Phog coming out of Lawrence these days is the brown one caused by KU fans shitting their pants.

Comment

• Any objection to me merging this thread with the "https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita-state-athletics/wichita-state-men-s-basketball/1129383-new-schools-named-in-fbi-investigation"?
                    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                      Kung Wu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Done.

• You have KU friends?

Wah waahhh

Comment

• No objections from me.

Comment

Working...
                      X