No announcement yet.

New Schools Named in FBI Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is an SI.com article covering the closing arguments.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...dawkins-adidas

What would you do if you were on the jury based on what you know of the charges and evidence.

It will be up to the jury to answer the question of whether clandestine rule-breaking (not law-breaking) to aid universities’ basketball teams constitutes a conspiracy to commit fraud against those schools.

I have a very difficult time buying the educational institutions were victims especially since I don't believe the schools (or at least their coachings staffs) were totally out of the loop on what was going on. The victims were the shools that were put at a disadvantage in recruiting the bought and paid for players and perhaps by extension the NCAA which has show to be powerless to control this kind of thing. But this is up to the NCAA to pursue and deal with.

Perhaps we should be thankful to the DOJ for shining light on this cheating but I believe I would have vote not guilty.

Of course, I would never be selected to serve on his jury because going through voir dire I would say "All I know is KU is guilty and should get the death pemalty" and KU isn't even on trial at least in the court room.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 19, 2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• The taxes on $25,000 here and there and $100,000 here and there probably would never even get a glimpse by the IRS. They do not have nearly the staffing and resources to make that feasible. There are enough cases to investigate where the potential collections are in the tens or hundreds of millions that going after the (probably low income) parents of a recruit who got $100,000 would result in tax collections of maybe $20,000, if there is any money left to actually collect.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Why wouldn't they pursue it? It's slam dunk (no pun intended) and the FBI have done all the homework for them as to whose door to knock on.
        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• At Ladybird Diner in downtown Lawrence, Susan McCarthy was perusing the newspaper Thursday morning, trying to keep up with the latest news on the college basketball corruption trial underway in New York. A devout KU basketball fan, McCarthy has had season tickets for decades. But at the moment, she is practicing tough love with her […]
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• another shocker
            another shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            well, it hardly started with wilt chamberlain. ku wrote the ncaa book.. uk and north carolina followed suit.

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you referring to the Bentley that Wilt said in his autobiography he used to drive between Lawrence and KC, Another? Somehow I suspect he was the only recent Overbrook grad with that sort of a ride back in the mid '50s.

• another shocker
            Editing a comment
            yes, i am.

clyde lovellette was probabaly riding shotgun, too.

• A little more light coming out.

It appears the shoe companies provided players to the universities in order to have the universities sign contracts with the shoe companies. It's starting to appear that it wasn't just the shoe companies wanting players wearing their shoes, they delivered players to the universities, and that was the incentive for the universities to sign contracts with the shoe companies.

There's a huge "catch" in all this for NCAA enforcement. The NCAA isn't supposed to do anything until the Federal investigation and prosecution is complete. The universities involved aren't going to do anything until the Federal investigation is complete. With the amount of testimony the judge didn't allow that shows the universities were complicit in this scheme, there's an overwhelming possibility of an appeal if the defendants are found guilty. This could give the NCAA literally years to drag their feet waiting for the Feds to wrap up their cases.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• another shocker
            Editing a comment
            oh, my...

what ku, uk, unc etc. wants, ku, uk, unc etc. gets.

what makes it so bad is the way that the bluebloods bond together and try to actively crush anybody that doesn't belong to the clique (with the help of the good ole boy ncaa, jay bilas, billy packer). and then they laugh about it.

ncaa must think they're the illuminati or something.. fbi has them sweating and farting.

• Will the NCAA investigate Duke and Kansas basketball programs with the same fervor it once investigated UCF?

Comment

• We all know Ku is dirty, they just hide it well and when they don’t the NCAA looks the other way. Self knows this also, that’s why he’s knee deep in the muck. Self knows he’ll be taken care of.

Comment

• He ain't wrong.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Flatenightdebates.files.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F11%2Fcalmoney.jpg&hash=a31a0f5ba3d665b8c9120a78f0cb2af7.jpg
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• what about Zion Williamson?

Comment

• XManCometh
                    XManCometh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nothing has came out about him actually taking money. I mean, I guarantee Coach K or Nike or a booster gave him something to play for Duke, but they're not an Adidas school so we'll never know what exactly he was given or what he asked for. Right now all there is is a phone call that wasn't admitted into evidence.

• I expect that when the NCAA is finished with their investigation in about five years that East Carolina, Central Florida, and Wichita State will get the death penalty. East Carolina will pay for Duke and North Carolina. Central Florida will pay for Miami, Wichita State will have to pay for the cheating at KU. I don’t believe for one second that any of the schools that have already been implicated in cheating will in any way be punished. The NCAA lost total credibility with me with the academic fraud at North Carolina.

I now will assume after this that any player in the top 50 is getting paid until proven otherwise.

Comment

• XManCometh
                    XManCometh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fred and Landry weren't top 50 and they got paid. It's everyone who might be an NBA player at some point. Literally everyone. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Daum from South Dakota State (or someone from his family) has been approached by someone.

Honestly, we're lucky that KU, Duke, Maryland and other big schools are involved in this or else we'd definitely be getting blasted with punishment. The NCAA isn't going to wipe out the last 4 years of NCAA basketball because nobody would take the sport seriously after. If they do decide to blow it all up, they should expect sponsorships, viewership and TV revenue to drop dramatically. I wouldn't be surprised if CBS tries to back out or renegotiate their NCAA tournament deal if the NCAA does that. My guess is they just say DeSousa and everyone else named so far just can't play anymore and everything from every school in the past 5 years that has been brought up in this Adidas trial just gets swept under the rug with the stipulation that if it happens again there are going to be severe punishments coming down. Because if they start taking away wins, then the last 2 or 3 seasons of WSU basketball didn't happen.

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    https://media.giphy.com/media/t6KLuO1NBRlwA/giphy.gif

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  what about Zion Williamson?
                  Don't you know that Zion Williamson ultimately decided to go to Duke with no other conditions in place? While he would have required other suitors to provide housing for his family, monetary payments, etc., he was so impressed by the quality of education he will receive during the four months he attends classes this year that he decided to go there for free.

Comment

• Dan
                    Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right, I forgot about that part. He is quite the scholar to put this much emphasis on his 1 semester of college. He may even earn his degree in that time period given how level headed and determined he seems to be.

• All 3 defendants found guilty on all counts. This gives the NCAA an out. According to the courts, the schools were "victimized" by the shoe companies. The same shoe companies that they have 100+ million dollar contracts with .. the same one the KU just resigned with ....

Comment

• Dan
                    Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The schools will walk, some of the players may have their eligibility stripped away if the NCAA decides to put the hammer down.

• mattdalt
                    mattdalt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I disagree. The schools will not walk. The basketball programs are not the school. I think both things can be true. The schools can be defrauded and they can be in violation of NCAA rules. Ultimately, the schools are harmed if they were defrauded into using ineligible players and subsequently had to forfeit wins and pay back NCAA monies. Additionally, resources, (tuition, books, room and board, tutors, etc.) were used on ineligible students, thus further defrauding the schools.The school had employees knowingly violate NCAA guidelines, an organization to which the schools freely chose to belong. Hopefyully, there are repercussions for violating the policies.
                    Last edited by mattdalt; October 24, 2018, 02:46 PM.

• must say that this whole process has soured me on college basketball. i mean the season starts next week and i can honestly say that i’m not at all excited.

Comment

• Shockadaisical
                    Shockadaisical commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am excited to watch the Shockers, but it does sour me on the sport as a whole. Because at the very top where the blue bloods are the consistent winners that make final fours, I feel they are being handed extra advantages over and above their tradition and reputation. How unfair is that for the majority of college basketball that doesn't have those advantages?
                Working...
                X