No announcement yet.

New Schools Named in FBI Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aren't these shoe companies committing racketeering (see legal definition)? It can pretty easily be shown that they are repeatedly using a straw-man to commit acts of bribery, sports bribery, interference with commerce, and loan sharking.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• desousa and preston, prep all-americans, were paid big bucks to play at ku. how is ku a victim? 'seems like they are predatory.

when will the ncaa be starting their own investigation? surely there is enough info (they usually accept less, much less) by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
        desousa and preston, prep all-americans, were paid big bucks to play at ku. how is ku a victim? 'seems like they are predatory.

when will the ncaa be starting their own investigation? surely there is enough info (they usually accept less, much less) by now.
        It was reported that the FBI asked the NCAA to hold off on any action until the trial was complete. The NCAA does not have subpoena power but the FBI does. New rules allow the NCAA to use information obtained from 3rd parties (FBI), so there is no need for the NCAA to investigate at this point. I suspect they are letting the FBI do their thing and when the dust settles, they swoop (as opposed to swoosh) in and clean up after the FBI party is over

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Aren't these shoe companies committing racketeering (see legal definition)? It can pretty easily be shown that they are repeatedly using a straw-man to commit acts of bribery, sports bribery, interference with commerce, and loan sharking.
          Showing that the universities were harmed would lead one to believe there was racketeering. The FBI's struggle is to show that the universities were harmed. To date, the articles I have read indicated the universities were HELPED by signing these high profile "student" athletes. With no harm, there is no conviction. With no conviction, there is no racketeering. I have no legal background, but from what I understand, the only potential laws broken are concerning using fraudulent student financial assistance and potential IRS issues with all parties involved. Up to this point, I haven't read anything presented by the government concerning IRS issue. My guess is that would be addressed at the conclusion of the trials.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
            I suspect they are letting the FBI do their thing and when the dust settles, they swoop (as opposed to swoosh) in and clean up after the FBI party is over
            I see what you did there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
              Showing that the universities were harmed would lead one to believe there was racketeering. The FBI's struggle is to show that the universities were harmed. To date, the articles I have read indicated the universities were HELPED by signing these high profile "student" athletes. With no harm, there is no conviction. With no conviction, there is no racketeering. I have no legal background, but from what I understand, the only potential laws broken are concerning using fraudulent student financial assistance and potential IRS issues with all parties involved. Up to this point, I haven't read anything presented by the government concerning IRS issue. My guess is that would be addressed at the conclusion of the trials.
              An interesting thought is that the NCAA represents 300+ universities. Those universities that AREN'T the recipient of illegally bought and paid for student athletes are the ones that are harmed.

Comment

• “Represents” in name only. They don’t give two sh!ts about anybody but their money makers.
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

An interesting thought is that the NCAA represents 300+ universities. Those universities that AREN'T the recipient of illegally bought and paid for student athletes are the ones that are harmed.
                  If the courts determine there was no harm to the schools and it was a legal business move, it could be equated that this whole thing is no different than what big box stores do to mom and pop stores every single day. The non "cheating" schools will extrapolate the reason they are not successful is because they haven't spent money (whether they have the $$$ or not) necessary to compete. Regardless of the outcome, cheating will potentially continue on all levels. As long as there is a revenue stream to the universities that is not equitably distributed to the student athlete, there will always be the temptation for cheating. IMO, the Olympic model (http://www.sportsmbablog.com/changin...olympic-model/) for athletes compensation is the closest anyone can come to removing cheating from college athletics.

Comment

• Comment

• The Kansas City Star printed some text messages htat were introduced at the trial. REALLY bad look for Self If Self didn't know anything that was going on, it seems unlikely he would call Gatto with a "Thank you" after DeSousa committed. KU fans are saying the call was to thank Gatto for providing outfits for the Angolan national team, which actually wore Nike gear.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Money or not .. isn't having someone that's considered a donor to school, doing recruiting a major violation? Self shouldn't be allowed to be talking to them at all about recruits, let alone having them do talking on behalf of the school. That's even without proof of a payment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        Money or not .. isn't having someone that's considered a donor to school, doing recruiting a major violation? Self shouldn't be allowed to be talking to them at all about recruits, let alone having them do talking on behalf of the school. That's even without proof of a payment.
                        True, but that will have to be NCAA investigating, not the courts.
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Stickboy46
                          Stickboy46 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well .. yes I'm aware of that. I'm just saying, that I can't see how they can ignore this. Oh wait if it makes them more $$$$ to ignore it .. they will.

• All this time, money and energy is a complete waste of time, money and energy as nothing...absolutely NOTHING will come of this.
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• giskard
                          giskard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          A couple of shoe company guys will go to jail. Other than, nothing will come of it.

• Text messages between Bill Self and Gassnola at Adidas were shared in federal court recently and are pretty interesting. Seems to kill the whole "we're victims" argument that KU and some of sports media we're trying to push.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ruiting-works/

Text messages between Bill Self and Gassnola at Adidas were shared in federal court recently and are pretty interesting. Seems to kill the whole "we're victims" argument that KU and some of sports media we're trying to push.
                          If we would be KU, we'd get 3 years of probation.

Comment

• Walker
                            Walker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Or even the SMU death penalty.
                        Working...
                        X