X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    Salon is a very poor source of information
    Still better than Jimmy Kimmel
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely. I much prefer Stephen Colbert for my news.

• shock
      shock commented
      Editing a comment
      Bleh. He’s even worse

"College hoops corruption trial widens in scope with new names; which schools could be impacted?" - Yahoo Sports

By Dan Wetzel
    Posted: 10/01/18

What secrets, backroom deals or blatant payouts will be revealed during this trial? The bigger the names, and the more of them, the bigger the deal this is to college basketball.

"...The schools mentioned: Arizona, Creighton, DePaul, Kansas, LSU, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Southern California and Texas.

A list of names that might come up during the trial, either as witnesses or just in testimony, was also read to the jurors. This too doesn’t imply anything untoward, but does speak to how wide of a net the feds cast during their three-year, FBI-led investigation into the sport.

It featured college coaches such as Sean Miller (Arizona), Bill Self (Kansas). Jim Larrañaga (Miami), Mark Gottfried (formerly of N.C. State), Rick Pitino (formerly of Louisville), current college players Zion Williamson (Duke), Nassir Little (North Carolina), Silvio De Sousa (Kansas) and Romeo Langford (Indiana). It also featured former college players, many of whom are in the NBA now, including Markelle Fultz (Washington/Philadelphia 76ers), DeAndre Ayton (Arizona/Phoenix Suns), Isaiah Whitehead (Seton Hall) and Kyle Kuzma (Utah/Los Angeles Lakers)...."

Comment

... alas, nada.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        "College hoops corruption trial widens in scope with new names; which schools could be impacted?" - Yahoo Sports

By Dan Wetzel
        Posted: 10/01/18

What secrets, backroom deals or blatant payouts will be revealed during this trial? The bigger the names, and the more of them, the bigger the deal this is to college basketball.

"...The schools mentioned: Arizona, Creighton, DePaul, Kansas, LSU, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Southern California and Texas.

A list of names that might come up during the trial, either as witnesses or just in testimony, was also read to the jurors. This too doesn’t imply anything untoward, but does speak to how wide of a net the feds cast during their three-year, FBI-led investigation into the sport.

It featured college coaches such as Sean Miller (Arizona), Bill Self (Kansas). Jim Larrañaga (Miami), Mark Gottfried (formerly of N.C. State), Rick Pitino (formerly of Louisville), current college players Zion Williamson (Duke), Nassir Little (North Carolina), Silvio De Sousa (Kansas) and Romeo Langford (Indiana). It also featured former college players, many of whom are in the NBA now, including Markelle Fultz (Washington/Philadelphia 76ers), DeAndre Ayton (Arizona/Phoenix Suns), Isaiah Whitehead (Seton Hall) and Kyle Kuzma (Utah/Los Angeles Lakers)...."

Isn't it neat how a certain school is emphasized by typefact/font? sarcasm.jpg
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
          Beat 'em, beat 'em, beat 'em, BEAT 'EM, beat 'em, shoulda beat 'em, shoulda beat 'em, beat 'em, beat 'em, didn't play 'em, shoulda beat 'em, beat 'em.

Comment

• Kung Wu
            Kung Wu commented
            Editing a comment
            Hilarious!!

Apparently Creighton offered bowen 100k "and a good job"

Comment

Creighton:

Buying players and still can’t make a S16.

Comment

KU paid Billy Preston 100k

Comment

• ArtVandalay
                ArtVandalay commented
                Editing a comment
                Adidas paid Billy Preston to go to KU. That's what this whole thing is about. KU, remember, is the victim in this.

• Stickboy46
                Stickboy46 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup .. and obviously the differing amount among schools means they had ZERO involvement ....

• another shocker
                another shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                we're supposed to believe that the schools in question had no knowledge of this. that is f*c*d up, that they expect us to believe that. bill self.

ncaa seems to be all-in on that bullschitt line, too.

Although he is not on trial, Silvio De Sousa could be ruled ineligible to play basketball for KU based on the outcome of a federal trial underway in New York, NCAA experts told the Journal-World. Less certain is whether the University of Kansas may have to forfeit some of last year’s wins and erase its […]
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Been saying forever and nobody seemed to listen that the chickenhawks and others have been paying players for at least the better part and maybe longer than a decade.. most people just looked with a smile and a confused looking stare.

Thankfully a great coach and hard working student athletes can have just as much success as the cheaters without having to look over the shoulder.

Comment

• I have first hand accounts of paying non-scholarship athletes 20 years ago.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• WuDrWu
                    WuDrWu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    1st hand scholarship basketball team 30+ years ago. Cheaters. To be fair, like almost every program with money long ago.

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  Creighton:

Buying players and still can’t make a S16.
                  LOL.

A wholesome, good Catholic institution.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I listen to sports radio and all the hosts talk about this stuff like they are shocked that something like this was going on? C'mon Man!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

LOL.

A wholesome, good Catholic institution.

catholic.. wholesome? aren’t the catholics fighting off other legal issues for the treatment of their younger boys?

Comment

• The defense side of the trial could get really interesting.

The only way the FBI can pursue fraud charges is if they have probable cause that players were paid, then they interviewed the schools those players attended and the schools all said "I know nothing". If the schools were unaware, but the Adidas guys knew the players were not eligible, then the schools were defrauded.

So, the defense for the Adidas guys is to show that the schools were aware of what was going on. If the government can make a case strong enough that the defendant's lawyers think their clients will be found guilty, then they will have no option other than point their fingers at the schools. If the government can't make a strong enough case, then the defense has no reason to upset the status quo.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                        X