No announcement yet.

New Schools Named in FBI Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already been told by beaker "nothing to see here...can't believe anything mizzou grad says"

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post

Same story, different decade. Wilt got paid, Dean and Al Kelly's parents got paid. At least 60 years of cheating and still going strong.
      I read a biography (maybe a ghost written autobiography) of The Dipper many years ago in which, if I remember correctly, there was a story about Wilt outrunning the police between Lawrence and KC in a Bentley (!). So maybe he had "access to" a whole fleet of cars.

Comment

• ShockerPrez
        ShockerPrez commented
        Editing a comment
        Its 50 miles to KC, we have a half a pack of cigarettes, its dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

• WSUwatcher
        WSUwatcher commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, Wilt probably thought that in the shades he wouldn't be recognizable.

By the way, I was chatting the other day with a woman whose boyfriend is a graduate of The Flagship, and I saw that he has one of those little Chickenhawk landscape pieces by his front door. I couldn't resist asking if he was going to have to put it in a cage when the FBI descends and someone has to go to jail (an exaggeration, I know, but that's probably about the worst anyone there is expecting anyway -- put a bird statue behind bars and get on with life already). I think she missed the joke completely -- or didn't want to acknowledge it -- because she just kept right on taking about whatever she was saying. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

• ShockingButTrue
        ShockingButTrue commented
        Editing a comment
        No kidding. I bumped into an old Chicken chum of mine over the weekend. We talked about the Nova game and I told him that Nova was so good that even if they weren't draining 3's they would've still beaten the Chickens. He got upset... ; )

This whole “victim” thing — some guy from Adidas gave players that KU was recruiting, and really wanted to get, and were eager to offer a scholarship, secret cash, to entice them to go to KU. And KU is the “victim” of that scam, because they gave the player a scholarship. Which they planned to do all along. Okay then. Probably needs to be a telethon. Too bad Jerry Lewis died.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
        This whole “victim” thing — some guy from Adidas gave players that KU was recruiting, and really wanted to get, and were eager to offer a scholarship, secret cash, to entice them to go to KU. And KU is the “victim” of that scam, because they gave the player a scholarship. Which they planned to do all along. Okay then. Probably needs to be a telethon. Too bad Jerry Lewis died.
        I totally understand your frustration. I am not an attorney, but I have read the indictments. From the way I understand it, for the FBI to have any case at all, and for a crime to exist, there has to be a victim. By naming the University as the victim, the FBI can then build a case. The student athletes have to sign a form stating that they have not received any money from outside sources. If they sign this, and then accept a scholarship, they are defrauding the University. It puts each school in a unique situation where they could be both the perpetrator and victim. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it.

Comment

Lot of people serving hard time for victim-less crimes.

Comment

One way to look at it is that it's like using a hit man. Adidas does the dirty work and has their fingerprints on the smoking gun. But that doesn't mean that that's the end of the trail.

As far as the FBI is concerned, they don't care if the school that is the "victim" contributed to the crime. It's not a crime to defraud yourself. The crime in this case is that Adidas contributed to the players defrauding universities by making false statements that indicated they were eligible for athletic scholarships.

In a bizarre twist, KU could actually pursue criminal fraud charges against their own players.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              And wouldn't that enhance their future recruiting!

More details on this mess, as pertains to Kansas and WSU:

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

cac.jpg
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

oqe42.jpg
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

My links work, but then Firefox gobbles up more than a Gig of memory and crashes, while still using that Gig of memory.

Quick recap:

Q: What does the FBI investigation mean for Kansas schools
                A: We don't have a clue, but we knew the headline would get us some clicks.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Was there something knew in that article.

"It’s unclear how the consequences for universities for playing these players might fully shake out, although the NCAA could sanction the program."

I must have missed when it was establshed that the universities made these reported payments.

Comment

Salon is a very poor source of information

Comment

Article is a big nothing, don't waste your time. When it starts with the premise that Kansas is a basketball state because there are no professional sports team then it's time to move on. I guess the author imagines a 200 foot wall that keeps people on the Kansas side of Kansas City from being Chiefs or Royals fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Axe View Post
                        I guess the author imagines a 200 foot wall that keeps people on the Kansas side of Kansas City from being Chiefs or Royals fans.
                        Sometimes I wish there was.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Was there something knew in that article.

"It’s unclear how the consequences for universities for playing these players might fully shake out, although the NCAA could sanction the program."

I must have missed when it was establshed that the universities made these reported payments.
                        Does not matter whether the schools payed the players or not, if the NCAA determines a player was ineligible why playing for a school, then the schools can be sanctioned.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No doubt about it. In fact your are pretty much quoting me on a previous post I made on the subject. However, in this post I did not say the schools were not at risk for any repercussions just that I have not seen where is was determined that the universities involved made the payments. Which if they did make those payments or even have had knowledge of them would no doubt, if proven, lead to evern greater repercussions than vacating some wins in which ineligible players (like Fred may have been) participated.
                      Working...
                      X