Brett Barney transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
    Does someone have to sit out after transferring if they were never on scholarship?
    In Brett's case it appears the answer to that question is yes as I understand the transfer rules. I assume Brett probably meets the first 2 conditions but not the 3rd. Not sure I understand the rationale though.

Non-recruited Student Exception

A student-athlete may transfer and play immediately if he or she met the following conditions at the first institution:
    • The student-athlete was not recruited according to the NCAA’s definition of recruiting;
    • The student-athlete never received an athletic scholarship; and
    • The student-athlete did not practice or compete at all in athletics at the original school except for one 14-day period (i.e. a tryout).
    https://www.athleticscholarships.net...exceptions.htm
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 26, 2018, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• ArtVandalay
      ArtVandalay commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe there is a one-time transfer exemption for walk on players, if I'm not mistaken.

• SweetShocker
      SweetShocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Why is there even a forum on Brett Barney lol ?

I always thought if you were transferring down in school classification there was no waiting period?

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
      I always thought if you were transferring down in school classification there was no waiting period?
      That is correct. But Nebraska-Omaha is a D-I school so he is not transferring down in classfication. I was a bit surpirsed he didn't go the D-II route.

Brett's a very good student. Not sure what his major is but in his case the academic offerings of his target schools are probably very important to him and who know, academic scholarships may be in play here for Brett.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 26, 2018, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I thought they were still DII.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          They announced their transition to D-I in 2011 not without quite a bit of controversy. I believe the transition was completed in 2015.

Yeah, I think that was at the same time their wrestling team was on it's way home from winning a national championship. Only to be told over the phone that the program was being dropped.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          That's correct.

He will be on full scholarship and be able to play immediately per Taylor

Comment

• Cdizzle
          Cdizzle commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent for Mr. Barney. Wish him the best.

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          That's good to hear.

He doesn’t have to sit out. He can play next year from my understanding. I am excited for him.

Comment

Omaha media interviews with Barney and another trfr to UNO

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a good move for Bett. Hope is on shcolarship at Omaha and hope he does well ala Jake White.

I would assume that Gregg told him that they would have three new bigs next year and that they would eat up all of his court time. I wish Brett the best!
          Livin the dream

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            No doubt he and Gregg talked but I doubt that Brett had to be told. I think he probalby pretty much knew the landscape he was faced with on his own.

All the best for Mr. Barney!

Comment

I must have bumped my head and missed something along the way. BB is one of the nicest kids we have ever had in this program, so I give him that. There are some on this board that have intimated he would actually develop into a rotation player. What did I miss. He is (past tense) and always would have been a walk on. If he would have played meaningful minutes, I would look to the sidelines searching for the Mike Cohen era look. Sorry, great kid, but was NEVER going to play rotation minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
              I must have bumped my head and missed something along the way. BB is one of the nicest kids we have ever had in this program, so I give him that. There are some on this board that have intimated he would actually develop into a rotation player. What did I miss. He is (past tense) and always would have been a walk on. If he would have played meaningful minutes, I would look to the sidelines searching for the Mike Cohen era look. Sorry, great kid, but was NEVER going to play rotation minutes.
              Yeah, but apparently he has an unstoppable right hook. Should have used him as in a LOOGY role for end-of-game scenarios. We could have won the conference championship, conference tournament championship, and maybe several games in the NCAAT if we had just run our last play for the walk-on.

Comment

• shockrah
                shockrah commented
                Editing a comment
                I just wish Fred could have played with Barney.

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                Wilma would have none of it.

Let's beat this dead horse for a while.

Comment

Okay, I see what you did there...LMAO

Comment

ok

Comment

Working...
                  X