2018-19 Media Hate Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tommy Boy Doubles Down!!!

"TOM DAVIS: Regardless of (ongoing) criticism, I stand by my thoughts regarding Butler prospect" - News Sentinel (Fort Wayne, IN)

by Tom Davis
    Posted: 04/18/18

"The first reverberations from a Butler basketball-related column I wrote late Monday came within minutes of posting it at News-Sentinel.com.

The feedback, some good, but most critical, continued while I was in the shower this morning, through my drive to a Notre Dame football press conference, and into the afternoon....

• His selection between Butler and Wichita State leads me to believe that his decision is being made primarily based on basketball due to the stark differences in the two institutions.

Despite the continued wrath, I stand by those two points....

To the second point, again, I offer no apologies.

Choosing a college is arguably the most impactful and critical decision a teen has made up to this point in his/her life and it truly has permanent ramifications, so it should not be done lightly. Nor should it be based on the one factor (athletics) that holds no long-term relevancy.

In Burton’s deciding between Butler (which he visited over the weekend) and Wichita State (where he currently is) demonstrates to me that basketball is the overriding factor in his decision and, as I wrote Monday, is very short-sighted on his part.

Both the Shockers and Bulldogs will provide a first-rate athletic experience in every way. Burton will win a lot of games with both programs and he’ll enjoy training in facilities that have launched professional careers of many athletes.

Aside from the fact that the Big East Conference is significantly higher ranked (second) than the American Athletic Conference (seventh), there isn’t a huge difference between the two choices.

On the court.

However, off of it, the differences are numerous and substantial.

Butler is the more well-regarded academic institution (see U.S. News and World Report’s latest rankings) and within the men’s basketball program more diligence is put forth in that regard.

In the latest 10-year statistics posted by the NCAA, the Bulldog men’s basketball program hasn’t had a GSR (Graduation Success Rate) lower than 80 percent and has been above 90 five times, including a perfect 100 percent for the final year in the study.

The same can’t be said for the Shockers.

In the same time period, Wichita State has been below 75 percent seven times (including a low rate of 50) and recorded a 64 in the final season of the tabulation.

In closing, I’m not going to alter my stance on these two points regarding Burton’s recruitment despite any criticism (which has come from both sides) and I’m certainly not going to change my willingness to write my opinion.

If you want to read articles with unquestioned loyalty and favoritism toward your beloved squad, then I am – at times – going to disappoint you. I am who I am.

Best of luck to Burton wherever he chooses to attend college and my advice is to do so with very, very careful consideration for a lot of impactful areas which will provide the best, most well-rounded experience."

Comment

• HockeyShock
      HockeyShock commented
      Editing a comment
      "Mr. Davis ... um ... there's a ... Graham Hatch here to see you?"

So, has anybody checked what the degrees conferred to the Butler men's basketball team were? I only have two engineering degrees from Wichita State, so I'm a little slow, but I'd guess that Communications and Sports Management would be the typical answers.

Both of which are still better than the Sociology degree that every Duke Blue Devil receives.

• HockeyShock
      HockeyShock commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, he should be forced to change his name. He shouldn't be allowed to share it with Dr. Tom Davis. He couldn't carry Dr. Tom's ****.

• Walker
      Walker commented
      Editing a comment
      That was my first thought as well. What are the degrees of the annual 80+ % student athletes that graduate from Butler? I'm willing to bet it's Sports Management and Communications followed by Sociology and (insert favorite gender or ethnic group) Studies. Not hating on any of that and I realize we have those same programs too but if he were to take a thorough look through more than just one statistic, he'd see that WSU creates professionals that make the world go around. That kind of thing don't matter to elitist snobs though.

Remember that time when you went out and bought an expensive European car? And when the first major component broke and you took it into the shop you came to the realization that you could have had a better engineered, more reliable car with better gas mileage that cost nearly half as much as what you paid for the Euro brand? Did you double down on the name brand when your wife called you out on it, and just sit there and watch it depreciate and piss away one of your kids' college tuition? Or did you sell the car once you figured it out?

Sell the car, Tom. Sell the car.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Beautiful Kung Wu. Beautiful...
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Tom Davis looks to be a leftist, from a quick perusal of his twitter feed. I don’t have a take on that, outside of the huge level of cognitive dissonance that most left-leaning academic elites hold in this context.

On one hand they fall all over themselves at the idea of various disadvantaged groups getting a chance at a college education, knowing full-well that most disadvantaged students are not going to knock GPA or ACT (or whatever) out of the park as incoming freshman. In the very next breath they have nothing but contempt for schools like WSU (and other urban, non-traditional institutions) who via their core mission serve a much, MUCH higher proportion of these disadvantaged, and as such take a significant hit in all of the statistical dick measuring contests that the academicic elites hold so close.

It’s really strange, intellectually. Like a mother bear eating her young.

Comment

As others have said, I just hope Burton reads the column and reacts appropriately. He'll have a head start on knowing how to Play Angry.

Comment

This dude acts as if Butler is ******* Oxford and Wichita State is some Fly By Night school.

Get over yourself, bro.
            The Assman

Comment

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              He's also very quick to ride the coattails of Villanova and Xavier with that #2 ranking (RPI according to Warren Nolan; as for the teams, Butler was #39 vs. WSU at #21) he ascribes to the Big East. And speaking of that glorious conference ranking, created in Philly and Cincinnati rather than Indianapolis, wait a second -- is it about basketball for Burton, or isn't it?

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            As others have said, I just hope Burton reads the column and reacts appropriately. He'll have a head start on knowing how to Play Angry.
            I hold three degrees from Wichita State, and am currently working on my fourth... when people ask, "Wichita State?" I'm known to reply...

"The Princeton of the Prairie."

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
              ShockdaWorld commented
              Editing a comment
              Jason or Matt?

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

I hold three degrees from Wichita State, and am currently working on my fourth... when people ask, "Wichita State?" I'm known to reply...

"The Princeton of the Prairie."
            MV5BODM1MzU4MzYyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY4Nzc3Mw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1490,1000_AL_.jpg
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

So by his reasoning if a recruit was offered Ivy League and Butler basketball scholarships and chose Butler it would leave him to believe that the decision is primarily based on basketball due to the stark differences in the two institutions, which shows a lack of maturity and intellect on his part."

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Very astute, Boston, but you may be coming perilously close to that "Harvard of the Midwest" stuff.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I haven't read the article but the headline seems accurate. We were all of a sudden in scramble mode with Landry's NBA decision, the Lomax defection, the Austin Reaves surprise.

Again not sure what the article says but I think Fran Tarkenton would be very impressed with Coach Marshall's scrambling ability so far.

Comment

Lots of schadenfreude in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I haven't read the article but the headline seems accurate. We were all of a sudden in scramble mode with Landry's NBA decision, the Lomax defection, the Austin Reaves surprise.

Again not sure what the article says but I think Fran Tarkenton would be very impressed with Coach Marshall's scrambling ability so far.
                      The article says St. Louis is very upset WSU fans didn't drop a bunch of coin in their crap-hole this March.

Comment

• FadedCrown
                        FadedCrown commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You really calling Scottrade a craphole?

• Cdizzle
                        Cdizzle commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The answer is so obvious I feel the question must be in jest, yet I cannot be sure. Therefore, let me be clear: I am not calling Scottrade a crap-hole. That would be unfair to crap-hole arenas the world over.

• shock
                        shock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        St Lewis is a crap hole.

As some you guys know, I am from St. Louis, and I usually enjoy Jeff Gordon. Well, not this time.

Comment

Working...
                      X