No announcement yet.

2018-19 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exceptionally well presented and stated, 72.

Comment

• The Wichita State Shockers are going through a retooling, but you wouldn't know it by looking at their challenging non-conference schedule.

Wichita State Basketball: 3 thoughts on 2018-19 non-conference schedule

T

...:cool:

Comment

• I realize RPI is now dead, however, looking back over the last three years we can get a little bit of relative strength of our non-conference schedule and how it has fared. I was surprised that the overall average has barely change during the last three seasons. I would guess, based on this information WSU should expect about the same results overall from these teams this season.
        Date Non-Conference Team Conference 2016 RPI 2017 RPI 2018 RPI 2018 Record
        11/06/18 Louisiana Tech CUSA 129 116 192 17-16
        11/09/18 Providence Big East 32 61 36 21-14
        11/15/18 Davidson A10 68 89 56 21-12
        11/16/18 Purdue/Appalachian State B10/Sun Belt 140 157 130 23-13
        11/18/18 Ball State/Virginia Tech/Alabama/Northeastern MAC/ACC/SEC/CAA 108 111 105 21-13
        11/25/18 Rice CUSA 278 174 322 7-24
        12/01/18 Baylor B12 27 9 70 19-15
        12/08/18 Oklahoma B12 6 162 53 18-14
        12/12/18 Jacksonville State Ohio Valley 311 154 135 23-13
        12/15/18 Southern Mississippi CUSA 312 331 204 16-18
        12/19/18 Oral Roberts Summit 155 290 256 11-21
        12/22/18 VCU A10 38 26 136 18-15
        Average 134 140 141

Comment

• "College basketball: 16 teams who have improved their stock over the summer" - NCAA

BY ANDY KATZ | NCAA.COM CORRESPONDENT
          AUGUST 30, 2018

Official practice won’t start for a month, but there is still plenty to be hyped about from the summer. These teams made moves to improve their stock for the 2018-19 season.

"Official practice won’t start for a month, but there is still plenty to be hyped about from the summer.

Here is a Sweet 16 of news that has me pumped...

8. The buzz for Memphis and UConn is real:
          The AAC desperately needs the Tigers and Huskies to be relevant in challenging Cincinnati and a rotation of Houston, SMU, Wichita State and for sure UCF (more on that in a minute). But Penny Hardaway has delivered without coaching a game for the Tigers. Reports all summer were about how well Hardaway and Mike Miller were making an impact in recruiting. There will be a desire to be back at FedEx Forum to see Hardaway deliver on producing a possible tournament team. How the pieces mesh is still unknown, but Dan Hurley’s impact is not. He has the fan base energized and his passion is contagious.

9. UCF is ready to make a move: Johnny Dawkins said B.J. Taylor, Tacko Fall and Aubrey Dawkins are all going to be good to go for the season. Once this team is on the court — the one that was expected — the Knights should be the team to beat in the AAC. There has been so much anticipation for UCF to finally meet its expectations and awake as the sleeping giant. We may finally get a chance to see it actually happen in 2019.

12. Davidson is primed for a glorious season: Bob McKillop is one of the best coaches in the country. That’s a fact. He’s also one of the most genuine. He’s an educator. His team trip to Auschwitz earlier in the summer — without a hint of basketball — was one of the more remarkable things he has done in his career. Now, the attention turns to basketball where he’s got one of the best guards in the country in Kellan Grady. Grady has a chance to be the best player at Davidson since Steph Curry. Expect monster numbers from Grady and an A-10 title out of the Wildcats."

Comment

• Dec. 22 - WICHITA STATE at VCU - 4 p.m.(EST) - ESPN

https://augustafreepress.com/vcu-bas...-in-2018-2019/

Comment

• Nice!
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Valley folks please note, our game against VCU is on THE ESPN, not U, or News, or the Ocho.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• For the second straight year, the Shockers will play all 18 conference games on linear national television, highlighted by CBS' return to Wichita for the Jan. 19 rematch with Cincinnati.
                  78-65

Comment

• @Tulsa on a Wednesday. That sucks.

Comment

• wichshock65
                      wichshock65 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That Tulsa trip last year was fantastic! Being a Wednesday night this year kinda stinks but no way me and the Mrs will miss it. I'm guessing neither will several thousand other shocker roadies.

• shockrah
                      shockrah commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed.

• Senior Night against ECU? At least we will win this time.

Also, god that is a lot of CBSSN games, might have to get some online streaming service now.

Comment

• WuShock16
                      WuShock16 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What's the story on online streaming for CBS Sports Network? How does one get access to that? I too might have to look into purchasing that.

• Steeleshocker
                      Steeleshocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I get access to streaming CBSSN through my PS Vue subscription.

• Wuzee
                      Wuzee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      CBS All Access Commercial Free ($9.99 / month or $100 per year) includes CBSSN. Supposed to work on most streaming platforms, and KWCH is included on the live streaming list.

Looks like if you bite the bullet and watch Providence at a bar somewhere, you could start your monthly sub in Dec. and get out for $40. $4 per game for 10 games. Might come in handy for postseason, too. No brainer, IMO, even if replays aren't available.

• I can't criticize a schedule that has us playing UConn, Memphis, Cincy, Temple, and SMU AT home, IN conference, compared to the alternative in the Valley. Frankly I'm star struck and still pinching myself each and every day to make sure I'm not dreaming.

We have NOTHING holding us back any more.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• So no @CKA against USF or Houston. Fine with no USF, but kinda sucks no Houston.

Sure doesn’t look like the league office gave us the middling cupcake schedule, which is nice.

Comment

• Not a lot of good/fun road trip opportunities. At Tulane the weekend before the AAC Tourney, hard to do both. May try to go to SMU and OU games this year + UH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Not a lot of good/fun road trip opportunities. At Tulane the weekend before the AAC Tourney, hard to do both. May try to go to SMU and OU games this year + UH.
                        Yes, but one Tulane road trip is worth approximately 17 Des Moines road trips or 85 Terre Haute roadies.
                        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Dan
                          Dan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          agree, just the timing of it makes it difficult this year

• My notes:

- We play all 4 of our single game opponents within the first 6 games of league play. Memphis and Cinci are the only H-H of that slate.
                        - Looks like a nice 4 game reprieve in late Jan - early Feb (dog days of conference play). 3 of four at home with ECU the only road opponent. This is followed by a full week of rest before the 7 game stretch run.
                        - Speaking of that stretch run, those next 5 games will be key (@ Cinci, @ Tulsa, Memphis, UCONN, @ SMU). If we stay in the race up to this point those 5 games determine if we are at the top or in the middle of the pack.
                        - ECU & Tulane games are back to back both times.
                        - No one day turnaround games
                        - No road stretches of more than 2 games
                        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Working...
                        X