2018-19 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
    I have to admit, when I saw Southern Miss for the IBA game I heard the sad trombone going "wah wah waahhhhhh." Nevertheless, I look forward to it and will be there having a blast.

I think it's a good non-con overall. I'm so glad we're getting Baylor in Koch. Oh yeah, we're still in a pretty bitchin conference with UCONN, Cincy, Memphis, etc. too.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Walker
      Walker commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly lol

• tickets for iba gonna have to come down a lot.. don’t think i’d pay $25 for courtside seats. honestly, prolly save the money and put a rack of ribs or brisket on the smoker and watch it on tv/internet.

Comment

• Steeleshocker
      Steeleshocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you kidding me? You wouldn't pay $25 to sit courtside? I'd take that action in a heartbeat. Just to watch DD dunk all over a team up close.

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd pay $25.00 for courtside seats to a summer pickup game. People are getting a little melodramatic.

T

...:cool:

• ShoxRoxMySox
      ShoxRoxMySox commented
      Editing a comment
      I had on the floor courtside seats at IBA for Tennessee (2013? 14?) and you can literally feel through the floor the athletes jumping for rebounds. I'd pay $25 courtside for any opponent if WSU is putting on uniforms. So worth it.

• I suspect they may not sell out IBA for Southern Miss, but it should be an interesting test of the level of curiosity about (and drawing power of) this year's team in its own right.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      I suspect they may not sell out IBA for Southern Miss, but it should be an interesting test of the level of curiosity about (and drawing power of) this year's team in its own right.
      If they can draw a good crowd against S. Miss, that will be a big plus as far as the NCAA is concerned. Much of that, however, may have a lot to do with how they have played before that game. We'd have a great crowd against Baylor at IBA regardless.

I know I've wanted better games at Koch, but not at the expense of IBA. If I'm going to "pay extra" for a game, I'd rather pay more to see Baylor at IBA than having to pay anything extra to see S. Miss.

Comment

• I think there are going to be a lot of season ticket holders who will be delighted to not have to pay more to see Baylor, and will be more than happy to see an opponent like that at CKA. It cuts both ways.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        It certainly does. However, it also gives those season tickets holders who are not as fanatical as us reason to not go. Likewise, lower ticket prices will help those fanatical fans who are not season ticket holders.

Hey, I just want my cake and eat it too.

• Southern Miss at IBA??????

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

We have to host a game there every year, in order to be a let or host an NCAA tournament game.

Something about having to prove we are able to draw enough ticket sales to support hosting a pod.

Don’t ask me why previous sellouts or a successfully hosted regional in the past isn’t enough evidence, but those are the rules (as I have been told them).
        That made sense prior to hosting actual tournament games. Now it doesn't. We've more than proven ourselves. I'm not aware of NCAA requirement on this nor have I heard any other fanbase or school talk about scheduling off campus every single year to fulfill such NCAA requirements/preferences. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• Shock Top
          Shock Top commented
          Editing a comment
          Don’t shoot the messenger.

• One thing we're forgetting in this discussion about whether it makes sense to host a game at IBA if it's not a marquee opponent is that HCGM has said it's a positive recruiting tool. Potential recruits like the thought of playing there.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Even against a so-so team if front of a possibly a so-so crowd?

I would think the recruit is thinking that IBA gives WSU the ability of bringing a high quality team into our home town that they couldn't get to come into CKA.

• im4wsu
          im4wsu commented
          Editing a comment
          Shock Talk Recruiting happens long before the kids know who they will be playing. If they base their college selection decision on the one game at IBA during the time they are being recruited, they are just not thinking clearly, even for an 17 or 18-year-old.

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          First, my comment was in reference to the post I commented on. The position was that Marshall uses it as a positive recruiting tool. I'm just not to sure how positive of one it is yet, so I agree with the second part of your statement and hope that it is correct.

However, it is not just one game. While 4 out of the previous 5 years have been in the right direction, we have played (or will) S. Miss (2), Tulsa, UAB, and St. Louis. None of those games are IBA worthy or "why" we're doing the IBA games from a player or fans' perspective. It could also be spun that we will have played S. Miss and St. Louis 2 out of the last 5 games at IBA.

It is a work in progress, but after 8 years, the opponent needs to be better than a "buy" game for the Chuck or at least have more of a regional or special draw: Colorado, Nebraska, Arkansas, Missouri, Dayton, LSU, Gonzaga. Even some of those should maybe be just H/H.

• There will be 12,000+ at IBA guaranteed.

T

Comment

• Stickboy46
          Stickboy46 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea .. it’s an event .. has a different feel than a CKA game. People make a day or afternoon out of it lol

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea II... and there's plenty of adult beverage options in that area of downtown. I've always enjoyed the Saturday IBA games and will attend regardless of the opponent.

• mattdalt
          mattdalt commented
          Editing a comment
          My son and I drive down from Madison, WI for this game. It is an event!

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        There will be 12,000+ at IBA guaranteed.

T

Not a bad guess (starting point) but I think that more than 12,000 may be pushing it if they don't adjust the prices to prior years when we had a no name opponent. Southern Miss. won't be bringing any fans so it's up to Shocker fans, and while the bottom bowl will be easily full, the top bowl may have problems unless, they adjust down. Last year prices inflated at least 25% from Oklahoma State (the year before), and significantly more since we played UAB (the year prior to Tennessee i think) in 2012-13. Upper bowl tickets were down to $10.00 for the upper bowl back then.

How many season tickets are there yet to be purchased this year at Koch Arena? I would imagine that there aren't too many left but I know quite a few people who didn't renew because of young families (babies vs. unaffordable or at least high prices), retirement/fixed incomes (the same reason), etc. Prices didn't go up too high this year but squeezing people begin to be counter productive.

Comment

• Like many, I was disappointed to see Southern Miss as the Intrust opponent.

However, I did have an epiphany just now. Does playing Southern Miss at Intrust and playing at VCU in the same season sound familiar?
          78-65

Comment

• AZ Shocker
            AZ Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            And with 9 new faces as well. Could it be? You never know...

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          Like many, I was disappointed to see Southern Miss as the Intrust opponent.

However, I did have an epiphany just now. Does playing Southern Miss at Intrust and playing at VCU in the same season sound familiar?
          So you think that this team is going to give a Top-20 type defensive effort like that team your alluding too?

Comment

• VCU & Southern Miss in the same season? What year was that?

Comment

• Originally posted by California Shocker View Post
              VCU & Southern Miss in the same season? What year was that?
              2012-13 Final Four season with 9 new players in the program. Waaaaay back in the olden days as they say. Back then...the world learned about Wichita St. and Gregg Marshall.

Many leather-bound books have told the tale. Some of which have been stored on rich mahogany shelving within cabintry. Even in far away places such as San Diego...a place the Germans discovered in 1904...people still remember. My girlfriend argues with me that the true meaning of San Diego means Saint Diego discovered by the Spanish people...but to this day (since I don't speak spanish) we have forever agreed to disagree.
              Last edited by AZ Shocker; August 5, 2018, 01:53 AM.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• 60Shock
                60Shock commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent decision, AZ.

Far too many people never seem able to grasp this workable solution to a problem they are never going to agree on.

• The games at VCU (a 53-51 win) and with Southern Miss at IBA (a 59-51 win) that year were both tight hard fought defensive battles. The Shocks were actually down by 12 at 32-20 with 17 minutes left in the game against USM and still trailed by 7 with 8 minutes to go. My most vivid memory of that USM game was Ehimen knocking down a pair of free throws to put the Shocks up by 4 with about 40 seconds left in the game.

The 9 new players that year were:
              Malcolm Armstead, Senior
              Kadeem Coleby, Senior
              Cleanthony Early, Junior
              Chadrack Lufile, Junior
              Nick Wiggins, Junior
              Ron Baker, Redshirt Freshman
              Fred Van Vleet, Freshman
              Derail Green, Freshman
              Zach Bush, Freshman Walk On

Returning Players:
              Demetric Williams, Senior
              Ehimen Orukpe, Senior
              Carl Hall, Senior
              Tekele Cotton, Sophomore
              Evan Wessel, Sophomore
              Jake White, Sophomore

Coaching Staff: Marshall, Jans and Heiar.

There are some obvious differences in roster make-up vs this year. That team had 10 total years of D-1 experience and 11 years of Juco experience plus 3 redshirt/transfer years in the Shocker program..

This year's team and it's 11 newcomers (7 freshman, 1 redshirt freshman, 1 sophomore and 2 juniors) has a total (not counting Herrs and Bush) of 5 or 6 years of D-1 experience (depending on Teddy Allen's situation) and 6 years of Juco experience plus 1 redshirt year in the Shocker program. The coaching staff is Marshall, Brown, Guidino and Waterman.

Does that mean the end result will be different. Not necessarily but the fun is that we get to find out.

Clearly what both teams had/have was/is a lot of unanswered questions although this year's squad probably trump's the 2012-13 team a bit in that regard including perhaps with the assistant coaches. What we now know is that 2012-13 team had a bunch of tough guys and a bunch of winners. The story on this year's team is yet to be written but all the uncertainty and change adds to the intrigue of and interest in this season.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 5, 2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, 72. If only Orupke had carried that same FT touch into the Final Four...
            Working...
            X