No announcement yet.

2018-19 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KU's SOS is usually pretty impeccable every year, including the non-conference. If you are going to talk smack, at least make it relevant and based in reality. These are the kind of "nuggets" that shockerneters find on UNI, ILLST, CU, KU, KSU, etc. boards and talk about how ridiculous their fans are. Let's be a little better than that. And don't you have a thread to "bump" anyways?

Comment

You can add Oral Roberts to the schedule as well.

Comment

I get the reason for not playing KSU this year. I also understand the "screw them" crowd for wanting to play us this year, I think I'm also on that train. But, we should have probably just played them this year and signed a 4 game contract with them. I don't think we NEED to play them (and would much rather play that other school), but it would be nice to have an in-state rivalry.

Comment

It is what it is..

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
            I get the reason for not playing KSU this year. I also understand the "screw them" crowd for wanting to play us this year, I think I'm also on that train. But, we should have probably just played them this year and signed a 4 game contract with them. I don't think we NEED to play them (and would much rather play that other school), but it would be nice to have an in-state rivalry.
            No.
            Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
              You make the assumption that KSU would sign a 4 year contract .. or even a 2 year contract starting here. A likely scenario is they wanted a 2 year contract starting at their place with a buyout provision.

Comment

• IndianaShocker
                IndianaShocker commented
                Editing a comment
                #1 Why do you say likely? Has that been reported? With Weber & Co. throwing the first punch regarding negotiations, I can't imagine Gregg wouldn't have leaked that info if it were fact.

#2 Before anyone makes the wrong assumption, I don't give two f^^*$ about KSU. Selfishly (so I could attend), I'd love to see us sign a H/H with IU, Purdue, tOSU, Louisville, Butler, Illinois, or Dayton. Hell even a 2/1 with ISUb or Evansville (gulp) would be music to my ears. But that's neither here nor there.

"Oklahoma Sooners Basketball: OU completes non-conference schedule" - SB*Nation

By Jack Shields
              Posted; May 30, 2018, 11:44am CDT

Lon Kruger’s Oklahoma team has a pretty impressive slate of non-conference matchups in 2018-19

Dec. 8: Wichita State - Oklahoma City, Okla.
              "...The Sooners then travel to New York to play Notre Dame at Madison Square Garden in the Jimmy V Classic before returning to the Sooner State to face Wichita State and USC in OKC and Tulsa, respectively. Those of you who attended the 2016 OU-WSU game in OKC know that OU didn’t exactly have a crowd advantage in that one, and I probably wouldn’t expect OU fans to dominate The Peake this time around, either. Wichita State fans travel quite well and can be pretty loud, and they’ll make a tough game even tougher...."

Comment

n/m

Comment

Not related to the Shockers schedule, but I did read that Chris Jans will take his squad to the Sprint Center on December 8 (same day as our OU game) to take on the Jayhawks.

Oh, to be in multiple places at once...
                78-65

Comment

"App Trail: Changes coming for Sun Belt Conference men's basketball" - The Winston-Salem Journal

by Ethan Joyce
                  Posted: Jun 4, 2018

"Men's non-conference scheduling alliance:
                  Sun Belt men's basketball teams must reserve two dates in the non-conference portion of their schedule to play against peer conference opponents. So in App State's case, another Group of 5 conference (AAC, C-USA, MAC, MWC) school who are participating in the alliance. Each school will play one home opponent and one away opponent under this new alliance. This practice will begin in 2019-20, but may be incorporated earlier."

Has anyone else heard about this "Alliance" for basketball scheduling?

Comment

• WuShock16
                    WuShock16 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've heard Mark Adams talk about this idea, though I don't know the details. I am curious to know if the conferences will arrange the matchups or if the programs themselves will find opponents.

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sort of reads like a school within those conferences may be able to opt out, if allowed by their own conference.

Wonder how this would affect a school who already schedules "up"?

Not sure how I like the AAC (remember the Power 6 thing) participating in this, although I wouldn't mind a Sun conference team in place of some of the cupcakes that get scheduled. Problem is, we'd have to do a return game to what might be a "buy" game at home.

I found this on the googles:

"There's still more. The Sun Belt is also working with an undisclosed conference in a non-league scheduling alliance as means to boost the conference's out-of-league scheduling metrics. There is no timeline on when the partnership with that conference will be made public, but the alliance is set to begin for 2019-2020."

Sounds like a scheduling alliance with just one other conference at this time. I would be very surprised if it's the AAC.

"It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                    I found this on the googles:

"There's still more. The Sun Belt is also working with an undisclosed conference in a non-league scheduling alliance as means to boost the conference's out-of-league scheduling metrics. There is no timeline on when the partnership with that conference will be made public, but the alliance is set to begin for 2019-2020."

Sounds like a scheduling alliance with just one other conference at this time. I would be very surprised if it's the AAC.
                    Even if we were still in the MVC I would be beyond pissed if we were indirectly volunteered for an annual Sun Belt RPI hit.

If the AAC does it, then I’ll start to be very concerned with our conference leadership.

Comment

If the Group of 5 Alliance (AAC, C-USA, MAC, MWC, Sun Belt) is a legit happening, i am okay with it. Anything to lessen our interaction with teams from the Atlantic Sun, the MEAC, and the SWAC the better for our individual teams and our overall conference. There are some good teams from last season in the "Alliance":

RPI Team Conference Record
                      7 Cincinnati American Athletic 31-5
                      20 Houston American Athletic 27-8
                      21 Wichita State American Athletic 25-8
                      59 Temple American Athletic 17-16
                      87 UCF American Athletic 19-13
                      30 Middle Tennessee Conference USA 24-8
                      32 Western Kentucky Conference USA 26-11
                      74 Old Dominion Conference USA 25-7
                      78 Marshall Conference USA 24-11
                      150 UAB Conference USA 18-13
                      26 Buffalo Mid-American 26-9
                      75 Toledo Mid-American 22-11
                      110 Eastern Michigan Mid-American 18-13
                      125 Ball State Mid-American 18-13
                      144 Central Michigan Mid-American 18-15
                      13 Nevada Mountain West 29-8
                      57 Boise State Mountain West 22-9
                      64 San Diego State Mountain West 21-11
                      100 Wyoming Mountain West 19-13
                      103 Fresno State Mountain West 19-11
                      65 Louisiana Sun Belt 25-7
                      112 UTA Sun Belt 20-13
                      116 Georgia State Sun Belt 22-11
                      143 Georgia Southern Sun Belt 19-12
                      197 Troy Sun Belt 14-17

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Even if we were still in the MVC I would be beyond pissed if we were indirectly volunteered for an annual Sun Belt RPI hit.

If the AAC does it, then I’ll start to be very concerned with our conference leadership.
                        That would kind of depend on which games these would replace would it not?

The Top 6 RPI teams in the AAC had 13 non-con games against RPI 200-249 + 5 games against RPI 250-299 + 7 games against RPI 300+ (total of 25 Tier 4 non-con games).

The Bottom 6 RPI teams in the AAC had 15 non-con games against RPI 200-249 + 12 games against RPI 250-299 + 18 games agaisnt RPI 300+ (total of 45 Tier 4 non-con games)

BTW, 6 of these 70 games were against 5 Sun Belt teams.

Seems like there is ample ballast that could be replaced with a little lighter load even with the right Sun Belt teams.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 12, 2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That would kind of depend on which games these would replace would it not?

The Top 6 RPI teams in the AAC had 13 non-con games against RPI 200-249 + 5 games against RPI 250-299 + 7 games against RPI 300+ (total of 25 Tier 4 non-con games).

The Bottom 6 RPI teams in the AAC had 15 non-con games against RPI 200-249 + 12 games against RPI 250-299 + 18 games agaisnt RPI 300+ (total of 45 Tier 4 non-con games)

BTW, 6 of these 70 games were against 5 Sun Belt teams.

Seems like there is ample ballast that could be replaced with a little lighter load even with the right Sun Belt teams.
                          The question is how they're going to divvy out the matchups? It might be OK if you're always #1 or #2 in the AAC, but what if your #3 in RPI like we were last year? The others 4 conferences' #3s were 64, 74, 110, and 116. Do you want to give up a home game for a roadie to a 100+ team or give up a road game with OU, OSU, or Baylor?

The other conferences had no one with an RPI as high as the AAC's top 3. There were only 5 teams higher than our #4 and there may be no guarantee that more than 1 or 2 of those will be playing the AAC's top 4.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                            1972Shocker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The devil is always in the details.. I don't mind giving up a home game to Savannah State for any Top 150 team. If a team can schedule better on their own they should be allowed to opt out. But teams like ECU and South Florida look like they could use some help scheduling.

• ShockTalk
                            ShockTalk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It could be great for those two, but how many of those other 4 conference teams going to want to play them.
                        Working...
                        X