College Basketball - Don’t be a dinosaur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Basketball - Don’t be a dinosaur

there are a few of us who come off as a broken record for expressing similar opinions. This guy did a great job of explaining our concerns better than anybody else has and he seems to be a neutral commentator (non-emotional version).

One could argue that the Shocks were at their best (off. eff.) this year when they played spaces and extra passes. Cincinnati game as an example, yes we still ran our stuff, but we seemed our best when we were allowing Shamet to make quick decisions. The approach was feast or famine depending on whether Shamet's shots were falling.

Comment

Was our offense really a problem this year, though?

Comment

• MadaboutWu
      MadaboutWu commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, not a big problem. What were we #4 in adjusted Kenpom going in. I would take that every year if I could.

The over offensive efficiency also is a helpful context when discussing individual players--generally speaking it was rarely the offense at fault for losing games.

The one problem I have with this is that we were a tremendously efficient offensive team -- one of the best in the country. We didn't lose to Marshall or anyone else because we were inept offensively. Putting us in the same vein as Virginia, at least this year, is flat out wrong.

Sure, maybe a better offensive style allows us to score 85 in that game instead of 75 and we squeak out a win, but it doesn't change Marshall scoring 81 in the first place. Which, certainly, credit to them, but is also something we were allowing all season long to any team with a pulse on offense.

Arguing that Marshall is becoming an offensive dinosaur, when he just had the best offense of his career and a top five efficient offense nationally, just seems crazy.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

With the shooters we had on the perimeter and the rebounders we had down low our offense could of been dominant this season. Not saying that it was anywhere near bad, but it could of been Houston Rockets like.

Comment

• proshox
        proshox commented
        Editing a comment
        We are talking the difference between being good and being elite.

The offense was very good, but it bogged down tat key points in 2018 games. I truly believe it had room to improve. More importantly i think it could have improved without negatively impacting defense.

• Rlh04d
        Rlh04d commented
        Editing a comment
        5th of 351 isn't elite?

We've just given up on logic now I see.

I'm not buying. WSU matched Elmore performance with Connor.

WSU lost because:

1. They didn't value their possession and didn't take care of the ball. They turned it over 15 times (21%). I lost count of the turnover because of weak play.
      2. WSU two best 3 pt shooters on WSU went 0-10 from 3.
      3. WSU defense has all year lacked the ability to steal the ball on D, and it showed up again in this game.
      4. WSU had weakness on certain rotations where Marshall just double or triple teamed Shaq and dared for a certain player to take the shot.
      5. WSU has lacked a true PG for 2 years now. That is on Marshall. Shamet I think would be much more effective at the 2.

Comment

• FadedCrown
        FadedCrown commented
        Editing a comment
        Would Shamet be that much better at the 2 though? Maybe when Lomax is at the 1 instead of Frankamp or Diashon Smith

• SB Shock
        SB Shock commented
        Editing a comment
        You don't need him better (Shamet offensive rating is 127.5 ranked 22 in the nation) - you just need him doing what he does best - shoot more. He was given the task to feed worse offensive guys than him (except for Shaq).

If Lomax is the real deal, then I think you see Shamet flourish.

The problem with Marshall is that if Elmore is off, they are effed. They may be giant killers when everything is clicking, but they can’t make it to a Final Four without a deeper more talented team.

Comment

• Rlh04d
        Rlh04d commented
        Editing a comment
        The problem with Marshall is that they were 12-6 and four games back in conference play. This is part of the negative side of the NCAA tournament -- a hot week from the perimeter can make any coach look like a genius, and a poor one can make any coach look like an idiot.

When you distill an entire season down to 1-5 games, crazy **** happens.
        Last edited by Rlh04d; March 18, 2018, 06:52 PM.

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
      Was our offense really a problem this year, though?
      The thing is it carries over to defense. Frequently those same post players that clog the lane and shoot poorly are the same ones that can’t effectively guard shooters on the defensive end.

Comment

• Rlh04d
        Rlh04d commented
        Editing a comment
        So now the hyperbole is that we had multiple guys on the floor at a time who couldn't play offense or defense?

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        Well that’s not what I said but in some cases that was true. For instance usually when we played two 5’s we struggled guarding shooters and clogged the lane on offense. When the lane is clogged it takes away the possibility of drives which made it easier to guard our shooters.

• Rlh04d
        Rlh04d commented
        Editing a comment
        No, sorry. You're now arguing scheme (playing two 5's at the same time) when your initial comment was players. That is what you said -- that we had post players (plural) who shoot poorly and can't guard shooters on defense.

If you want to make an argument against the scheme of using multiple post players in this era of basketball, I'm with you, but that is not what you said.

Also, of players who played more than 14 MPG this season, Shaq and Willis were #1 and #2 in FG%, and #3 and #4 in 3PT% (behind only Shamet/Reaves).
        Last edited by Rlh04d; March 18, 2018, 11:02 PM.

I didn't read that tweet as what teams like WSU need to do on offense, its what the smaller schools with less talent can do to maximize they chances to destroy the death star, so to speak...

And yes, it works sometimes, but the better teams usually win.

It was a very insightful tweet.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        The problem with Marshall is that if Elmore is off, they are effed. They may be giant killers when everything is clicking, but they can’t make it to a Final Four without a deeper more talented team.
        You called it

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
          With the shooters we had on the perimeter and the rebounders we had down low our offense could of been dominant this season. Not saying that it was anywhere near bad, but it could of been Houston Rockets like.
          No. Absolutely not.

The Shox were an elite offense this year with a borderline draft pick and maybe a couple guys who will play in Europe. That's about as close to maximizing potential as could ever be hoped for.

This team's flaws were 99.9% on the defensive side. It's not even a question. So obvious its just strange there is even any debate.

Comment

Rlh04d
            #8.3
            Rlh04d commented
            10 hours ago
            No, sorry. You're now arguing scheme (playing two 5's at the same time) when your initial comment was players. That is what you said -- that we had post players (plural) who shoot poorly and can't guard shooters on defense.

If you want to make an argument against the scheme of using multiple post players in this era of basketball, I'm with you, but that is not what you said.

Also, of players who played more than 14 MPG this season, Shaq and Willis were #1 and #2 in FG%, and #3 and #4 in 3PT% (behind only Shamet/Reaves).
            Last edited by Rlh04d; 10 hours ago.

What?? Obviously the post players that fit my narrative were frequently 2 fives. Sorry I didn't make that clear but I was trying to be nice and not name players.

Shaq was seldom if ever a problem when playing as the only 5 as he was a three point threat, shot blocker and decent defender. Willis I thought was suspect on defense and did not like them playing together.

Comment

• Rlh04d
              Rlh04d commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure what part of my post was confusing. You weren't talking about scheme, you're criticizing players. And my disagreement is in my post -- Willis was #2 in FG% and #4 in 3PT%. If you're describing that as a poor shooter, you're wrong

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post

No. Absolutely not.

The Shox were an elite offense this year with a borderline draft pick and maybe a couple guys who will play in Europe. That's about as close to maximizing potential as could ever be hoped for.

This team's flaws were 99.9% on the defensive side. It's not even a question. So obvious its just strange there is even any debate.
            When did I ever say that the defense wasn't the main problem? The defense was absolutely the main problem. The issue is there was no fixing the defense. 2 of our 3 guards were unathletic white guys, one of which being 6' tall and the other with the body of a prepubescent boy. Even Landy lacks the foot speed to stay in front of quick guards. Brown, our supposed lock down defender, had less than 5 good defensive games all year. He is an average defender who also lacked speed to say in front of quick guards. Other teams exploited the physical characteristics of our team. Coaching wasn't going to fix that.

What this team did have is 6 players that shot between 35% and 45% from 3 and another, Mcduffie, who would of fallen in that range if it wasn't for the first few games back from injury where he couldn't buy a basket. We even had multiple 4 and 5's who could constantly knock down a 3. This team needed to outscore the other opponent to make up for the deficiencies on defense.

Our offense was more than good this year. Not arguing that. I was stating that an offensive scheme based on quick tempo, spacing, and 3 point shooting would of made the offense even more potent. We had the shooters, rebounders, and depth to make it happen. The NBA's current #1 rated offense, Houston, is averaging more 3PA than 2PA. They also do not have a single player shooting over 40%.

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President
              Jamar Howard 4 President commented
              Editing a comment
              I mean seriously!... “no fixing the defense?”

What?!?!

No reasons it couldn’t have been a top 50 defense. I’m not even asking for elite.

Same offense, top 50 defense, and this team is a 2 seed, and still likely playing.

• Jhook89
              Jhook89 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok, how would you of recommended they fix the defense? They were a sub-100 defense with one of the best defensive minds in the country coaching them. Coach is even on record as saying that not being the best at defense may just be who our players were.

• Rlh04d
              Rlh04d commented
              Editing a comment
              Odd how "who our players were" changed so much in one year, huh? The same players in 2016-27 were a top 20 defense. One year older and they fall nearly 100 spots.

But sure, it's because the players became different people.

Dupliacte

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
              The issue is there was no fixing the defense. 2 of our 3 guards were unathletic white guys, one of which being 6' tall and the other with the body of a prepubescent boy. Even Landy lacks the foot speed to stay in front of quick guards. Brown, our supposed lock down defender, had less than 5 good defensive games all year. He is an average defender who also lacked speed to say in front of quick guards. Other teams exploited the physical characteristics of our team. Coaching wasn't going to fix that.
              Either Daishon was the linchpin to a good defensive team or our defensive struggles were primarily coaching/motivation/injuries related. Landry wasn't good at defense, but he could've been. Dude is long and pretty quick. He has every physical advantage over a guy like Fred, but he was significantly worse on that end of the floor.

The defense could've been fixed. We saw this same team be good at defense.

Comment

• Shockm
                Shockm commented
                Editing a comment
                Landry was good. He wasn’t elite. He struggled a little in close games against physical players who played on Top 20 teams.

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
                GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
                Editing a comment
                He also struggled against guys from Marshall.
            Working...
            X