No announcement yet.

2018-2019 Shox Offseason Predictions and Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHJ would have to have made a 180 type turnaround for me to be comfortable with any meaningful minutes going forward into the year, if we’re serious about continuing the NCAA streak.

I guess I’ll believe it when I see it.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Obviously, until it happens, this means nothing. But I’ve seen it happen before and if GM would have given up on him, he wouldn’t be here.

Comment

• OregonShocker
        OregonShocker commented
        Editing a comment
        As evidenced by the other departures. Always wondered why, with all the "house cleaning", SHJ was still around...

• Having been a previous skeptic I have also said all along that he is very gifted with athleticism / talent and only
      lacked that PG mentality. We don't need him as an off guard we need him as a QB who takes care of the ball,
      penetrates while seeing the court/ distributing effectively and attacking the basket when not collapsed on. He has
      to learn NOT to force things too much and create for his teammates FIRST. Of course, he HAS to play decent
      defense, as well. He is VERY capable physically and talent wise - if he plays like a true PG he could be a real
      difference maker.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
        Having been a previous skeptic I have also said all along that he is very gifted with athleticism / talent and only
        lacked that PG mentality. We don't need him as an off guard we need him as a QB who takes care of the ball,
        penetrates while seeing the court/ distributing effectively and attacking the basket when not collapsed on. He has
        to learn NOT to force things too much and create for his teammates FIRST. Of course, he HAS to play decent
        defense, as well. He is VERY capable physically and talent wise - if he plays like a true PG he could be a real
        difference maker.
        Yes His penetration is a strength but he needs to be smarter about it. At the least, when he penetrates (using his extreme speed), he needs to draw fouls, dish off to an open team mate, or dribble through. In games when they aren't calling the fouls, his decision making in not forcing it is very important. HIs knowledge of the offense and the plays is a plus that would put him ahead of our new Juco friend, but he has to prove capable of handling the leadership duties. We will watch to see what happens.

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          finishing at the rim and guarding bigger players are two big issues he has to resolve. He can shoot it though, no doubt.

• SHJ kinda reminds me of another JUCO southpaw who played for B. Huggins back in the day: Nick VanExel.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
          SHJ kinda reminds me of another JUCO southpaw who played for B. Huggins back in the day: Nick VanExel.
          So how many draft boards has SHJ appeared on so far?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Taylor Eldridge discusses the Shocks effectiveness with Markis McDuffie at the 4 vs the 3.

Comment

• BOBB
              BOBB commented
              Editing a comment
              I wonder how much of this was McDuffie and how much was that the lane was clogged with two posts? Either way, yes, more McDuffie at 4. Whoever plays the 3 has to at least be a respectable offensive threat or it doesn't matter.

• proshox
              proshox commented
              Editing a comment
              McDuffie doesn’t have an advantage against small forwards. He rarely posts-up and his shooting isn’t really effected either way.

Furthermore, there aren’t many traditional “fours” who can effectively take advantage of McDuffie’s smaller build.

McDuffie is a four...

• RH: Podcast with Men's Basketball Newcomers, First Take (Dexter, Jamarius, Tate & Teddy)

https://goshockers.com/news/2018/9/2...irst-take.aspx

https://wichitastate.tv/podcast/roun...omers-group-1/
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 25, 2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Toughtest teammate to guard: Samajae - Samajae - Samajae - Jamarius

Best Fortnite Player: Dexter said he was but the other 3 guys said it was without a doubt Ricky and anyone who said different was lying.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 25, 2018, 08:36 PM.

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              My vote for best interview in this group: Jamarius.

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              They all did well for their first interview, but Jamarius might have a future in broadcasting.

• Quotables: Greg Marsahll on First Official Practice

"Bushy-tailed" freshmen and seniors playing with "verve." Read the full transcript from coach Gregg Marshall's Tuesday media session in advance of the seasons first official practice.

Comment

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              It's nice to read positive news about Jones. There was a reason he was recruited by Cincinnati, Houston, and Patino at Louisville. I believe he was a second team Juco All-American after leading HCC to a National Championship. I realize that doesn't always guarantee success at the next level...

… Haynes-Jones' progression this off-season:
              "He's very confident now. He's shooting the ball well. Last year he had the physical issues that didn't allow him to get on the court, but he's gotten over that. I don't know whether that's bad defense or inexperienced defense, but he's getting buckets out here. He's looking like the player we thought we had originally. He's quick, he's fast, he's shooting it with confidence and he's playing with a lot of verve."

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              It is good to hear those postive comments about Samajae. I have to say I really can't say I know very much about what the source of his "physical issues" were last year. Hopefully, he is truly over those issues although will we know for sure without seeing how he performs under the lights in front of a big crowd? I am really hoping that is the case. Would love to see the local kid go out with a bang.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 25, 2018, 07:08 PM.

• ShockingButTrue
              ShockingButTrue commented
              Editing a comment
              The kid has a championship pedigree. Not only a Natty at Hutch, but before that he guided East to the state championship and, I think, a #8 national ranking.

I'm glad he chose the Shockers.

• Comment

• RH: Podcast with Men's Basketball Newcomers, Second Take (Chance, Eli, Morris and Isaiah)

https://goshockers.com/news/2018/9/2...cond-take.aspx

https://wichitastate.tv/podcast/roun...omers-group-2/

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Another group of solid efforts for the youngsters.

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Chance Moore seems like a bright kid with a big personality

• RH: Podcast with Men's Basketball Newcomers, Third Take (Eric, Jaime and Ricky)

https://goshockers.com/news/2018/9/2...hird-take.aspx

Comment

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                If they all play as well as they speak, we're in for a fun ride the next few years.

• I find it interesting that there was almost no Asbjorn talk in the interviews. Eldridge also mentioned on the Talk Angry podcast that Jaime is in line to start. I
              wonder if we are in line for a Bear God let down...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
              I find it interesting that there was almost no Asbjorn talk in the interviews. Eldridge also mentioned on the Talk Angry podcast that Jaime is in line to start. I
              wonder if we are in line for a Bear God let down...
              I find it interesting that you refer to AM not starting as a letdown. To any REAL Shocker fan, that would not be a letdown. May the best man win the job. That's all we want. The best players should play. I appreciate AM becoming a Shocker but no one is guaranteed anything. They have to be the Best for the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                I find it interesting that you refer to AM not starting as a letdown. To any REAL Shocker fan, that would not be a letdown. May the best man win the job. That's all we want. The best players should play. I appreciate AM becoming a Shocker but no one is guaranteed anything. They have to be the Best for the job.
                Lolz. Where did I state him not starting specifically equals a letdown? I stated that I found it interesting that there was almost no talk about Asbjorn in these interviews, where players were specifically asked who was tough to matchup against, and that it was also interesting that Eldridge said Jaime, who does not have the year of experience in Marshall’s system that Asbjorn does, is being pegged to start. Then I wondered out loud if maybe we were in for a let down with Asbjorn this year, since many fans are hoping, me included, he will be taking a big step forward and become a force down low. He could not start and still be a key contributor this season. Him potentially not starting isn’t the potential let down. Asbjorn potentially taking longer to develop the some are expecting is the potential let down.

Comment

Working...
                X