2018-2019 Shox Offseason Predictions and Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018-2019 Shox Offseason Predictions and Discussions

Well, I know it’s a sour time, but let’s try and look forward to the future.

Who comes back next year? Who isn’t going to be back?

Who steps up their level of play? Which newcomers step up and play right away? Who redshirts?

What coaching changes at made? Does the coaching and recruiting philosophy chance to the new offensive version of basketball?
    The Assman

I'm all positive now so an 8th trip to the Big Dance! 6 or more newcomers of course but if Kentucky can do it...so can we!!! Let's Go SHOCKERS!!!!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Well for starters, in the past 5 years, our NCAA tournament record in "rebuilding years" is 5-2. That includes a Final Four and a close game with Kentucky. It will be interesting to see how 3G does next year.

The oddball on this team is MM, after a disappointing campaign, it would be nice to see him bounce back.

The question mark on this team is bigman minutes. Will AM be able to carry the load?

We're in for a wild season.

Comment

Who transfers out?

I love Bill’s attitude and he seems like a great teammate, but does a big like him fit into today’s game?

CJ, great athlete, but does he good basketball skills?

They could really use SHJ driving ability and ball handling, but can he regain his confidence and form?
        The Assman

Comment

• WuShock16
          WuShock16 commented
          Editing a comment
          Bill?

• bunck
          bunck commented
          Editing a comment
          I would keep Bill over Max, Pete is probably the guy that should be sweating bullets.

• OregonShocker
          OregonShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Well Lloyd's gone for sure

Does Landry come back?

He May go on potential, but some deficiencies in his game have shown.

Would it be better to stay and work on those at WSU or take the chance he gets drafted in the first round?
        The Assman

Comment

Taylor Eldridge@tayloreldridge 1h1 hour ago More
          • Copy link to Tweet
          • Embed Tweet

Scholarship players slated to return to WSU next year and how many minutes they played today: Landry Shamet (36) Markis McDuffie (17) Austin Reaves (19) C.J. Keyser (0) Samajae Haynes-Jones (0) Rod Brown (0) Asbjorn Midtgaard (0)

Comment

CJ and SHJ are probably gone if we can find replacements worth taking a flyer on. I’m not sure if we have any “ideal” redshirt candidates. There’s a ton of PT up for grabs and who knows who is going to step up and take it.

Marshall needs another COACH on the staff. I hope today was the wake up call he needed.

Comment

All 6 seniors gone obviously.
              Landry leaves as well.
              Markis is a toss up and so is SHJ and CJ.

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                How is Markis a tossup? You think he’s gonna transfer?

Dan Markis just seems unhappy from the outside looking in. I hope he stays and develops and grows physically and all for next year.

Comment

I hate to beat the elephant in the room, but next year's success hinges on whether A-Lo remains committed to the Shox. Landry is probably gone and there is no PG on this team, that in the next 8 months, will suddenly transform himself into a top tier PG. Without Lomax, we are a .500 team. That's asking a lot from a true freshman but damn, he is very impressive in his videos and his style of play (tough D and assist minded) works well in HCGM's system.

We go with a three guard line up next season; PG Lomax, SG - Stevenson, CG - Reeves, SF - McDuffie and PF/C - Echenique and we have another 20 game winning season and squeak into March as an at-large team.

Comment

• Rlh04d
                  Rlh04d commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why is there so much talk about whether Lomax remains committed? Lomax sent in his LOI already -- that's not a soft commitment he can change from easily. For him to really push to change at this point, it would be to Memphis, and I'm sure getting out of an LOI would require a limitation on his ability to go to another conference school.

I also disagree that Landry is gone -- I think he'll test the waters, but he's not going to get a clear first round grade, and if there's a question, he needs to return. No point in leaving school early as a second round pick.

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If Landry is a first rounder then John Elmore is a lottery pick

• BOBB
                  BOBB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A) No reason to believe ALo doesn't honor his commitment.
                  B) Harris, Alvarez and I am sure other talented JUCO and 4 year PG's are still unsigned. I'd take 2 more years of Joe Ragland, for example and like our chances.
                  C) Landry is not a point guard.
                  D) We need another point guard regardless.
                  E) Landry is not a point guard.

This was a nice year.although it didn’t live up to anyone’s expectations. Landry was really good last year. Five TUrnovers today (15 for the team) and turnover problems at other times don’t match what he did as our point guard the last half last year and that was disappointing. His intelligence seemed to fall off the track from what he accomplished last year. I don’t see him as a sure first round pick and think he may return. I also expect him to return to last years form next year. With his adding weight and strength, he will be what we all expected this year.
                Last edited by Shockm; March 16, 2018, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                  All 6 seniors gone obviously.
                  Landry leaves as well.
                  Markis is a toss up and so is SHJ and CJ.
                  Have people lost their minds? Where are Landry and Markis transferring to? What NBA exec is going to lose his job drafting Landry? Is he going to Europe instead?

Comment

• Speed
                    Speed commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dammit Shamet isn't going anywhere after this game. Let's hope he & Mcduffie come back healthy & motivated to live up to their potential.

I think we need to wait a few days and/or weeks before we start having this conversation. People are a little unhinged and irrational right now, most of it deservedly so.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

SHJ isn't even middle of the road mvc talent. CJ hasn't displayed much basketball skills including even average defensive skills. And I won't even mention the coaching staff.

Comment

• Dan
                      Dan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      SHJ would fit in well at Drake or Evansville. Run off 15 screens for an open jumper. He can score, he just can’t do it in the confines of the WSU offense against high level teams.

One thing we know for sure next year is that we will be younger...a lot younger. Hope to see Marshall let the younger guys relax and play basketball. Saw too many guys scared to make a mistake this year. Expectations for next year call for young guys making some mistakes, there's no way around it. I just hope we let them play through those mistakes and gain confidence. With so many young guys on the roster next season, we may have no choice but to let them play through those mistakes, and maybe that's a good thing for the long run.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                      ShockTalk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Does this mean HCGM won't be calling timeouts?
                  Working...
                  X