No announcement yet.

2018 General NCAA Tournament Games Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mexico State falls to Clemson 78-68. However, a terrific 1st year at NMS for Chris Jans.

Comment

• UMBC can beat K-State. KSU is a poor man's Virginia. Rely on defense and their offense is just good enough. Heck, if Buffalo plays like they did against AZ, I can see them beating Kentucky too. How awesome would that be?

Comment

• kochHead
        kochHead commented
        Editing a comment
        k state probably had an encyclopedia of scouting info on Virginia and a 3x5 note card on umbc.

• Rlh04d
        Rlh04d commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Buffalo actually has a very good shot against Kentucky.

• A very empty feeling about the Shocks right now. What's most disappointing is not so much the loss per se as the way it happened. The description of WSU that I saw in another thread as the Fighting Oubres was, unfortunately, all too true. There was indeed a team that Played Angry in today's game, but it wasn't WSU, which is hard to fathom.

I've seen this kind of thing before in WSU's other athletic golden age, the baseball program of the 80's and 90's, when now and then Shocker teams more highly ranked than 3G's crew basically failed to show up in NCAA tournament play and faded quickly away, even with the extra margin for error provided by double elimination. And, like this year's basketball Shocks, some of those teams also featured a number of seniors (or draft-eligible juniors) who performed as if they weren't really locked in mentally and instead were just ready to move on with life. Those were disappointing seasons and endings, too, although for many years they were usually followed by a quick return to form, which is what I'm now hoping new blood and intensity will bring back to the basketball court.

Anyway, on the bright side -- not easy to find today, but I'm a sunshine pumper, so I can do it -- I just saved a bunch of time over the next few weeks. I may not watch another game. I didn't even see UMBC make the Shocks a mere footnote of the weekend. Way to go, Retrievers!

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
        ShockingButTrue commented
        Editing a comment
        I know. That last strip and lay-up at Landry's expense was just painful to watch. He didn't even seen the guy coming right in front of him? Wha?

• Outside of Marshall, Bennett is my favorite coach in basketball.

Great coach, better man.

HATE that it was his team that was “the one”, but he was the one to handle it the best.
      The Assman

Comment

• Rlh04d
        Rlh04d commented
        Editing a comment
        He handled the post game interview incredibly well. Better than anyone else I can think of would have. Including Marshall, easily.

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
      Are we witnessing the end of the big man in basketball this tournament?

Certainly the end of playing two at once I think
      Nope I am pumped to watch us keep trotting out 2 five men at once next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
        Lyles was absolutely ripped. He didn't look like your typical star player on a 16 seed. Weber and the kitties may be in trouble.
        I saw on the ESPN site that Lyles actually started at VCU, got no run whatsoever there -- 58 minutes all season as a freshman, although considering that he shot 2 for 20 from the field I guess the question is how he actually managed to get even that much PT -- and then transferred, sat a year, and became not just a star on a low-major team, but a star capable of going off against the best defense in the country. Something to keep in mind if WSU brings in a transfer sometime: occasionally a little-used guy comes along (Kyle Wilson would be the WSU example who comes to mind) for whom a change of scenery makes all the difference in the world.

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
          Downtown Shocker Brown commented
          Editing a comment
          That UMBC team lost by 44 to Syracuse. No, wait. Sorry. Wasn’t Syracuse. Lost by 44 to ALBANY!!

Got them confused.

• Downtown Shocker Brown
          Downtown Shocker Brown commented
          Editing a comment
          That UMBC team lost by 44 to Syracuse. No, wait. Sorry. Wasn’t Syracuse. Lost by 44 to ALBANY!!

Got them confused.

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Does Creighton still have any Valley players on their team? It's been 5 years. Just checking.
        Ghost of Gibbs
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• New Mexico State really got it handed to them by Clemson. Clemson controlled the entire game with little opposition from NMSU.

Comment

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            Dynamite drop in Monty.

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
          New Mexico State really got it handed to them by Clemson. Clemson controlled the entire game with little opposition from NMSU.
          Not sure that is totally accurate. New Mexico State trailed by 17 at 43-60 with 11:30 remaining in the game. The pulled to within 6 at 62-68 with 5:30 remaining in the game before running out of gas. That would seem to qualify as a little opposition in my opinion.

Comment

• Shockm
            Shockm commented
            Editing a comment
            ok if you prefer it your way. Still Clemson was always in control and when I watched, NMSU was never really a threat imo.

• AndShock
            AndShock commented
            Editing a comment
            I wish when we were up 6 with 5 minutes left the opposing team would never be a threat and we’d never lose control. Must be nice.

• Shockm
            Shockm commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I remember that game against and at Cincinnati. I wish we would have done that against Marshall too. It was disappointing we didn't put our foot on the threat when we were 10 points ahead in the 2nd half. Conner did his part but our other players, especially Landry didn't come through when he was needed. I think several of his turnovers happened at just that time.

• The truly amazing thing to me of that UVA/UMBC game is that, at the 4:12 point, UVA was down 12, and they shot 67% the rest of the game -- and yet UMBC extended the lead to 20 over that time frame against the #1 KenPom defense, shooting 100%.

UVA had plenty of time to win that game with solid defense shooting like that, but they panicked and overplayed every defensive possession, leading to incredibly easy buckets.
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Chinese Year of the DOG !!!
            For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
            - said no one ever...

Comment

• Looks like Hurley will be ready to head to UCONN here soon.
              The Assman

Comment

• I want to root for Loyola but the dip****s in the MVC make it hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                  I want to root for Loyola but the dip****s in the MVC make it hard.
                  The only team that can hold loyolas success over WSU is Loyola. Otherwise WSU is defined by how far Houston and Cincy go

Comment

• Seton Hall makes a run, ties the Beakers and Self calls a TO

Comment

Working...
                    X