• 2017-18 Games of Interest "NIT Tournament"

Temple - #5-seed in the "Notre Dame Region" vs. #4 Penn State
    Notre Dame - #1-seed in their respective Region vs. #8 Hampton
    Marquette - #2-seed in the "Notre Dame Region" vs. #7 Harvard
    Baylor - #1-seed in their respective Region vs. #8 Wagner
    Oklahoma State - #2-seed in the "USC Region" vs. #7 Florida Gulf Coast
    FGCU - #7-seed in the "USC Region" vs. #2 Oklahoma State

Games start Tuesday and Wednesday.

Turgeon missed the NIT with a 46 KenPom.

It might not be our golden age but never forget our NIT teams (and championship). Just getting to the NIT is difficult and thus an accomplishment.

Comment

The only thing I recall about our NIT participation of years past was how disappointing it was. It meant we weren't even a top 63 squad.

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, not exactly. In any given year, there is 15-18 auto-bids to conferences that have no Dance-worthy team.

Also, after weathering the 1990s, an NIT bid was pretty damn refreshing.

• DUShock
        DUShock commented
        Editing a comment
        Not to mention the CBI & CIT that were essential building blocks for the Marshall Plan. HCGM has credited these three tournaments with helping get us to where we are today. As a fan and alumni of the early 90's, I was pleased with any post season play. But yes, everyone's goal is the Dance, but not everyone gets an invite. Go Shocks!

• Jamar Howard 4 President
        Jamar Howard 4 President commented
        Editing a comment
        This statement is truly disqualifying for any level of Shocker fandom.

The wait to see if the Shox made the NIT in 2003.
        The excitement of bringing Florida State into Koch Arena the following year.

If these things were disappointing to you as a fan given where the program had been the previous decade, your fandom is a joke.

2011 while not as rewarding as most years because of our success int the NCAA Tourney was not a disappointing Tourney.

Comment

It is an accomplishment, but it seems so irrelevant when the program has a run of Big Dance level success.

The NIT can be very beneficial to young teams in rebuild/reload mode. WSU may need the NIT next season.
        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• FadedCrown
          FadedCrown commented
          Editing a comment
          No way we are NIT bound next year, especially if Shamet returns with McDuffie coming back to form.

• pinstripers
          pinstripers commented
          Editing a comment
          If Duff and Shamet come back, and all our LOI kids show up, we'll make the big dance again.

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        Temple - #5-seed in the "Notre Dame Region" vs. #4 Penn State
        Notre Dame - #1-seed in their respective Region vs. #8 Hampton
        Marquette - #2-seed in the "Notre Dame Region" vs. #7 Harvard
        Baylor - #1-seed in their respective Region vs. #8 Wagner
        Oklahoma State - #2-seed in the "USC Region" vs. #7 Florida Gulf Coast
        FGCU - #7-seed in the "USC Region" vs. #2 Oklahoma State

Games start Tuesday and Wednesday.
        Sheesh, no Valley teams either. Congrats to the Valley being improved overall, but not having a single team make the NIT...

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post

Sheesh, no Valley teams either. Congrats to the Valley being improved overall, but not having a single team make the NIT...
          They all would have snubbed the NIT if invited, anyway. They believe the MVC is too good for NIT and CBE and whatever else are too expensive.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I thought that now that the NCAA owns the NIT, schools could not turn down an NIT bid? Only the "pay to play" tourneys, the CBI and CIT could you turn down.
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• wushock27
              wushock27 commented
              Editing a comment
              You CAN turn it down...at some point in the season (not sure when) you have to submit paperwork saying you will participate if selected. Louisville just ran into this, as their players voted to not play in the NIT if they didn't make the NCAA, but the paperwork had already been submitted by the school.

What I appreciated about our NIT Championship was that the team never whined (publicly at least) about not being in the NCAA Tournament. Gregg said that "you have to bloom where you are planted." There was a reason that team was in the NIT. Granted, one of those was the screwjob late foul against VCU...but every time that team had an opportunity during the season, it failed. Couldn't close out against UConn in Hawaii (speaking of screwjob reffing). Hung with San Diego State until one bad two-minute stretch where the Aztecs went on a big run that ultimately cost us the game. Lost home games to Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois that it had no business losing. Couldn't close out against Missouri State in the regular season finale. Blew an early lead against the Trees in STL.

I remember a year where someone like Ohio State won the NIT. One of the players boldly said, "This is what happens when you put an NCAA Tournament team in the NIT." Sorry, pal. If a P5 team is in the NIT, I can generally point to a multitude of reasons why that team isn't dancing.
            78-65

Comment

• shoxlax
              shoxlax commented
              Editing a comment
              Two of those teams you mentioned were in the final four and one won it all. Just goes to show you how razor thin the margin of error and difference is. That team could’ve easily been a Sweet 16 group with the way they peaked but such is life.

College basketball with quarters feels gross.

Comment

• DUShock
              DUShock commented
              Editing a comment
              It is pointless with all of the media timeouts anyway.

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
            Look at it this way, we'll have two more opportunities for last second shots.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
              Aren't they taking just one media timeout per quarter? Or are they taking more?
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• AndShock
                AndShock commented
                Editing a comment
                Just one is my understanding. I haven’t been paying much attention though.

Oregon down 4 to Rider at the beginning of the 4th in an attempt to perfectly cap off the PAC-12’s night.

I guess USC is also playing right now. The PAC-12 sure managed to produce a bunch of meh this season.

Comment

Temple up 35 - 25 over Penn State with 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter...weird seeing quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                  The only thing I recall about our NIT participation of years past was how disappointing it was. It meant we weren't even a top 63 squad.
                  This statement is truly disqualifying for any level of Shocker fandom.

The wait to see if the Shox made the NIT in 2003.
                  The excitement of bringing Florida State into Koch Arena the following year.

If these things were disappointing to you as a fan given where the program had been the previous decade, your fandom is a joke.

Comment

• MadaboutWu
                    MadaboutWu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Plus the run to the NIT championship. It was awesome and a building block for later success.
                Working...
                X