McDuffie???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDuffie???

I have always been a huge supporter I just don't dont know now? I feel he needs more minutes to improve but we can't afford it the way he is playing. Is he out of his league now or is it all in his head? You could see his frustration showing today a few different times??

thoughts?

Big time frustration. And, as I said in the other thread, it was very obvious when he was called out of the game to sit on the bench. Yes, he got a late start to the season...but, he's been back for nearly 3 months now. The time to show us the All-American "credentials" is at hand. I'm just not sure we will see them yet this season.

Comment

Think it’s as simple as an injury that threw a heck of a wrench into his development over the season, leading to some mental baggage. Senior MM will be more like sophomore MM, in my opinion, which is worth as much as you paid for it.

Comment

he seriously needs to do some coordination exercises.. and they're out there.

he's just about half-a-klutz.

Comment

Here's my opinion. Some thought I was way off base with my opinion of his second year.

Year 1 - Very promising. solid player
          Year 2 - Very promising. solid player

That wasn't what I was expecting in year 2. I was expecting some improvement and didn't really see any over his Fr year. Some players mature earlier and hit their peak earlier than others. Maybe McDuffie peaked early and we've already seen pretty much all he's got to give.

This year. He's probably still slowed by his injury. I've seen him favoring his left leg walking off the court. I think he's slower than his mind thinks he is. His head says he can do something and his legs aren't able to do what he expects from his body. That can happen after injuries.

Throw in that he started seeing the court in mid-season when there was an established rotation. So, what he ended up with was a still recovering leg, lacking the agility, speed and quickness he was used to having, and the pressure of stepping into an established top-20 lineup and being expected to lift the team by his performance.

It seemed to me that he was trying really hard. REALLY hard. Too hard. If there was any lack of confidence, then trying too hard is disastrous. Things just get worse.

Kelly had taken over his normal position and wasn't giving it up. It's also possible he wasn't comfortable taking minutes away from the Seniors, who established themselves in his absence. There's a lot that could have gone wrong and I think it all did. ALL of it. Maybe he's less effective against the better, quicker, and more athletic competition in the AAC.

Give him some time to get back to 100%, get his confidence back in non-pressure situations, and I think he'll have a productive Sr year. I'm not hoping for or expecting much more (if any more) than we saw his Fr and So years.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

He can shoot it. He hunts his shot too much, but he's trying to gain minutes. Handles are not any better than they were two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              Here's my opinion. Some thought I was way off base with my opinion of his second year.

That wasn't what I was expecting in year 2. I was expecting some improvement and didn't really see any over his Fr year. Some players mature earlier and hit their peak earlier than others. Maybe McDuffie peaked early and we've already seen pretty much all he's got to give.

This year. He's probably still slowed by his injury. I've seen him favoring his left leg walking off the court. I think he's slower than his mind thinks he is. His head says he can do something and his legs aren't able to do what he expects from his body. That can happen after injuries.

Throw in that he started seeing the court in mid-season when there was an established rotation. So, what he ended up with was a still recovering leg, lacking the agility, speed and quickness he was used to having, and the pressure of stepping into an established top-20 lineup and being expected to lift the team by his performance.

It seemed to me that he was trying really hard. REALLY hard. Too hard. If there was any lack of confidence, then trying too hard is disastrous. Things just get worse.

Kelly had taken over his normal position and wasn't giving it up. It's also possible he wasn't comfortable taking minutes away from the Seniors, who established themselves in his absence. There's a lot that could have gone wrong and I think it all did. ALL of it. Maybe he's less effective against the better, quicker, and more athletic competition in the AAC.

Give him some time to get back to 100%, get his confidence back in non-pressure situations, and I think he'll have a productive Sr year. I'm not hoping for or expecting much more (if any more) than we saw his Fr and So years.
              Very fair assessment

Comment

• Aargh
                Aargh commented
                Editing a comment
                thank you

Well, Aargh, if McDuffie is the player next year he was as a sophomore, that should be just fine. It'd also be nice if he stops trying to do too much, which is his continuing curse; but even if that's too much to ask, a repeat of the sophomore McDuffie would be a very useful player next year, and one to build around.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

If you didn't see improvement his second year you weren't watching. His defense was incredbile. And not only that he rebounded better, he shot better, he was more efficient, and he played more minutes while doing so. Didn't he earn 1st team all conference last year? Wasn't he runner up for conference Play of the Year? Man people have short memories.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very true, SC. You can look at his numbers, his accolades, his pro interest, the comments of his coaches and teammates about his defense, and there's absolutely no doubt that McDuffie progressed from his first to his second year -- which is no doubt one reason for the pro interest: his improvement at an age young enough to suggest that there was more to come.

Still, Aargh's point is well taken about how Duff's leg and the resulting impact on his confidence and conditioning have likely set him back this year and many indeed still be doing so in some way.

wow, Coach kinda throws Duff under the bus

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The drama queen strikes again...

• pinstripers
                  pinstripers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "McDuffie didn't run the right play."

• lostshocker
                  lostshocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  followed by "We've got to execute better and that's on me. I've got to drill it better." cant just vilify him and ignore the part where he took responsibility.

From the small forward position ( MM & ZB ) we got 2-8 shooting, only two rebounds and three
                turnovers with ZERO assists - oh, and one of those two makes was a lucky bounce. Neither one
                seems to have any confidence offensively and not seeing the court very well. Those two have
                to play better ALL game for us to get to the S16 or beyond.

Comment

• proshox
                  proshox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MM good moments all come when he plays the four.

A ridiculous travelling call in each of the last 2 games hasn't helped. Since when does a player not get to catch the ball take a step with the non-pivot foot and then dribble.
                Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

I think you guys nailed it. Dude is trying get back lost time with every play. Slow down!

Comment

We all know he was thinking this would be his last year before jumping to the League. That foot injury put a monkey wrench in his plans and now he's trying too hard to make up for lost time. He fell behind and rust, conditioning, not having enough time to 'gel' with new teammates, and the mental aspect of the game suffered as a result of the injury. Frustration has set in as his junior season has passed him by quickly and he didn't have the opportunity to impress the scouts. He should be back next year, he's not NBA ready. On the other hand, no one knows how he feels about college and he may be tired of it. He could try his luck professionally overseas, do well over there and then throw his name into the draft next year and see how it goes I guess, but I fully anticipate him being a Shocker next season and knock on wood, he stays healthy over the off season, works on his agility, footwork and ball handling and he'll be a rock star his senior year.

Comment

On the plus side, anyone worried about having to replace McDuffie next year shouldn't be too worried. Unless he chooses to transfer, he's got all of next season to try to reestablish himself.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                      X