No announcement yet.

McDuffie???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He’s like a baby deer; still not in control of his body.

He is still young for his class, so maybe he is just maturing slower than most.

He has put on some good weight this season, so maybe another offseason of that, will get more weight on that frame and make it easier to control.
    The Assman

Comment

Another thing. He appears to shrink and “get little” when he attacks the basket.

Maybe that is another thing that will come with maturing into his body and a bigger frame.
      The Assman

Comment

He was our best scorer and rebounder year ago, so the talent is clearly there.
        The Assman

Comment

Actually McDuffy is playing at (or better against Tier A) his level of last year against quality opponents. His overall numbers are significantly down, but that was probably due to conference affiliation. Whether it was the injury or something else - he just didn't make the jump between this year and last year.

Overall - 118.3 (2017) 106.3 (2018)
          Conference - 123.0 (2017) 108.2 (2018)
          Tier A + B - 104.6 (2017) 104.0 (2018)
          Tier A - 96.6. (2017). 103.9 (2018)

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
            Another thing. He appears to shrink and “get little” when he attacks the basket.

Maybe that is another thing that will come with maturing into his body and a bigger frame.
            Totally shrinks. I like McDuffie as a good college player...but I've never seen him as NBA material. He has a lot of NBA skill (well not this season)...but absolutely no leg strength. No ups and everybody at his height and position in the NBA has major ups. Not knocking him as I said he is-was-can become a very good college player...but NBA???
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

As far as NBA goes he has two areas he must improve.

he has to be able to get his own shot off the dribble consistently.

He has had to be strong enough to finish going up not horizontal

Comment

High level of disappointment with McDuffie. He is a very immature player considering his time in the program. It seems he over-values his own skills and abilities and goes off the reservation to "get his" with poor results.

He could be the difference in the Shockers' success over the next two weeks if he joins the team pulling on the same rope.
                Last edited by Shocker85; March 12, 2018, 08:17 AM.
                Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Markis is a phenomenal player and I’m glad we have him. It’s been a rough season but sometimes players have those. There have been mistakes and mental lapses at times sure, but this kid puts his heart and soul into this team and busts his ass. Maybe tries too much at times but I think it’s because he’s trying to help this team, not because he’s trying to impress scouts.

Comment

I hope we are thinking about moving Markis to the starting lineup. I love ZB and appreciate what he has done for this program, but guys aren't even guarding him and RK on the perimeter anymore. MM has been pretty good on the defensive end recently and provides spacing for the offensive side of things. Getting Markis going and getting him minutes might be the key to a deep run in the tournament.

Comment

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The minute you complain about Zach, he will hit 3-4 threes in the game. Last year in the NCAA, he hit some big shots against both Dayton and Kentucky. Don't count him out.

• WUpigsooie
                      WUpigsooie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Man I wish teams stopped guarding ZB, dude shot 40% from 3 in conference play...

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                    I hope we are thinking about moving Markis to the starting lineup. I love ZB and appreciate what he has done for this program, but guys aren't even guarding him and RK on the perimeter anymore. MM has been pretty good on the defensive end recently and provides spacing for the offensive side of things. Getting Markis going and getting him minutes might be the key to a deep run in the tournament.
                    Fiddle with the lineup IN THE POSTSEASON? Now that's funny.
                    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Markis has the same issues he had when he lead our team in scoring and rebounding (handles and strength). The big difference is he’s playing the 3 more this year vs the 4 last year. I hope he moves back to the 4 next year for the sake of him and the team.

Comment

• Shockm
                        Shockm commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think that his biggest problem is that he often tries to go too fast. He has good quickness, but his brain is thinking faster than his feet. That is when he gets into a problem with making a bad pass, or is called for traveling. This year, he has not developed confidence in his outside shooting as he did last year.

• Stickboy46
                        Stickboy46 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        To be fair to Markis .. He is often called for traveling when he doesn't actually travel.

Regarding McDuffie...I was expecting Shake Milton when he showed up. Did not get Shake. Markis can score, but he is either pressing, or regressing. Either way, 3G needs to push the right buttons to get something out of him. This team desperately needs minutes and points from MM because Kelly can't be figured into the plan to score in bunches and Brown has seemingly forgotten how to play the game.

Comment

The problem with replacing Zach Brown with McDuffie is that the latter is better at the 4 than the 3. McDuffie's problem is that regardless of position he is competing for time with seniors. In a perfect world, McDuffie would start at the 4 and Brown at the 3, but Kelly has simply played too well not to start. Last year McDuffie may have been our best rebounder, but this year Kelly is one of the best 5 or so rebounders in the country. Theoretically Kelly is the perfect person to put next to Landry and Reaves/Conner, giving our efficient shooters more attempts (in practice, at least one of them has been in slump for a long stretch of games).

The one thing I will say about making McDuffie back into a starter is that it would would limit the amount of times we bring in Willis and McDuffie at the same time, which seems to make everything go helter skelter.

Comment

• Stickboy46
                          Stickboy46 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have wondered about this. Markis and Willis are really close (i think roommates) ... Markis often seems to try to force the ball into Willis too much. Often it's a telegraphed forced pass that is not in a good position for Willis to make a move. Often the other team has already gotten a double team there by the time the ball is there.

This is obvious guys.

While out with the stress fracture he added upper body strength and weight when he couldn't use his lower body. The result is more weight having to be controlled by a lower body that already had some minor coordination issues when his top half was 15-20lb lighter.

Now we add 20# to the top half, weaken the lower half a little, and the result is a player who falls all over the floor.

Very poor by the coaching staff, trainers, and S&C folks. They should have seen this coming and limited the bulk he added from the waste up.

Comment

• pie n eye
                          pie n eye commented
                          Editing a comment
                          This is a joke right?

• Aargh
                          Aargh commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I don't think so. Added upper body weight, coupled with decreased leg strength, and uneven loss of leg strength in the legs wouold require some time for the body and brain to readjust to how the body moved. Especially if the redistribution of weight occurred during a lower body injury when the body didn't have a chance to adjust gradually.

Baker's speedy recovery from a similar injury his RS Fr year seems like an unusual result now that we see Shamet and McDuffie with similar injuries.

I guess I don't see all the bulk you do. He is still very skinny. 6'8 and maybe 205? Not too bulky to me.

Comment

• IndianaShocker
                          IndianaShocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          See visual evidence posted on page 3 of this thread.
                      Working...
                      X