• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say goodbye to Lomax?

Comment

Originally posted by Zubcut View Post
    Say goodbye to Lomax?
    Maybe. Maybe not. I'm thinking he will fulfill his commitment to Wichita State, But who knows for sure.

Comment

Yeah. Really stinks for us if he bolts. I would think we will know very soon.

Comment

I'm certainly hoping for the best that Lomax honors his LOI. If he doesn't, this will be a huge loss for us, HUGE. There is no current G on this roster who has shown anything this year that he could command the role of PG for next season. We should probably be focusing on what Tyler Harris does. I know he's got Iowa State and Memphis as the last two. If he chooses Memphis, that will certainly make me feel better as I doubt Lomax will want to be in a shared PG role there. Based on this news article, I'm feeling pretty confident we keep Lomax.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ast/424711002/

Comment

With Tubby Smith out at Memphis, hiring Penny Hardaway would likely be a costly mistake

https://sports.yahoo.com/tubby-smith...165813720.html

Time will tell whether hiring Penny Hardaway is a smart move or a desperation move that doesn't work out. For the sake of the AAC I hope it does work out. The AAC needs Memphis to be good.

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we lost Lomax to this shake-up. That's not a knock on AL's character or anything, just a frank look at the connection he has with Penny.

If he did want his release, it would be a real bad look for our program if Marshall didn't give it to him, in light of the well-known relationship Penny and Alex have. Meaning if Lomax wants it, he may very well get it.

Totally just my personal take on the circumstances. Certainly not what I WANT to happen.

Comment

• Aargh
              Aargh commented
              Editing a comment
              Marshall may opt for the bad look. This would be a lot worse than the Deontae Hawkins deal and Marshall came fairly unglued over that.

I would hope Penny wouldn’t want to start off his coaching career by getting kids to de-commit to schools to play for him.
            The Assman

Comment

• AndShock
              AndShock commented
              Editing a comment
              It sounded like he was trying to sabotage Tubby the whole time Tubby was at Memphis. He doesn't care about etiquette. I would bet Penny is already breaking NCAA rules as we speak.
              Last edited by AndShock; March 14, 2018, 04:58 PM.

• Shox The Revenant
              Shox The Revenant commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. You would think Penny would exercise professional courtesy and not go after kids that have signed LOIs. However, he could use the relationship between he and Lomax as a crutch to justify a decommitment and then spin it that it was all entirely Lomax's idea. Which could be true, none of us knows how Lomax feels about Penny and the idea of playing for him at Memphis may be too strong of urge to avoid. Like I said, I expect Penny to not go after him, but those two are simply too close to each other geographically and from an interpersonal standpoint that undoubtedly the discussion will be had.

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
            I would hope Penny wouldn’t want to start off his coaching career by getting kids to de-commit to schools to play for him.
            I'm sure if Penny does that it will be done very surreptitiously since he is not allowed to recruit any player who has signed an LOI. Of course, in A-Lo's case I'm sure that could be very easily accomplished under the radar.

No doubt 3G and whomever was the lead assistant in recruiting A-Lo are no doubt in pretty constant contact with Alex despite having a lot of other things on their plate at the present time.

But if A-Lo and his family (and perhaps some deep pocketed boosters) decide Memphis is really where he would rather be there isn't much you can do about it. Yeah you can make him sit out a year but to what purpose or gain? Might as well let him go.

All that said I still think he will end up as a Shocker. I just look at guy that, if he is smart, would want to model his career after someone like Fred Van Vleet. What would Fred do? And, of course, we know what Fred did when it came to honoring his verbal commitment, let alone his LOI. It certainly has worked out well for Fred. Of course, A-Lo may see it differently. Who knows.

Comment

Part of me says let him go if he wants to go to Memphis.

The rest of me says raise holy hell with the conference, NCAA, media and anyone that will listen about Memphis tampering with our recruiting class.
              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Just go get Tyler Harris Penny. Fair and square.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                  Part of me says let him go if he wants to go to Memphis.

The rest of me says raise holy hell with the conference, NCAA, media and anyone that will listen about Memphis tampering with our recruiting class.
                  I have no problem with the latter as long as there is some actual evidence of tampering. Not sure suspicions in and of themselves will get you too far.

Ironically, a native-son of Memphis had a song that sort of fits the situation.

Comment

My money would be on Tyler Harris to Memphis. As I mentioned in the Lomax thread there is a lot of insecurity on this board.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
                      SHOCKvalue commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It doesn’t take insecurity to consider that the situation with AL has possibly been complicated; it just takes critical thinking skills.

Frank Martin on how the Tubby situation was handled
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    The Assman

Comment

Tyler Harris to Memphis.

Alex Lomax then takes Tyler Harris to the cleaners twice a year for four straight years.

Mark it down.

Comment

It seems Alo and his Dad love Wichita St. Coach Marshall is a very proven coach. Penny has NEVER coached at the Division I level.

But just in case...
                        Paging Erik Stevenson. Erik Stevenson please pick up the Black and Yellow phone. Erik Stevenson...please pick up the Black and Yellow phone.
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                        X