No announcement yet.

Penny Hardaway to Memphis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His "Team Penny" EYBL team has the #1, #26, and #40 ranked recruits in the 2019 class.

Curious about Larry Brown. I thought he was on the record as saying the thing he hated about college basketball was recruiting, which is at least 50% of what an assistant does.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Stickboy46
      Stickboy46 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes .. but i have a feeling the Assistant would be in name only. He's there to help Penny with the X and Os ... Penny will do the recruiting.

• WheatShock
      WheatShock commented
      Editing a comment
      Give him a "consultant" job like Jans had. He wouldn't be in a recruiting position and could just coach.

This would be great for them if it works out. The flip side is that if Penny flops they could easily be in cellar for a decade or more. What quality coach would be interested in Memphis after they ran off a hall of famer after just 2 years in favor of a local celebrity with zero D1 coaching experience?
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post
      His "Team Penny" EYBL team has the #1, #26, and #40 ranked recruits in the 2019 class.

Curious about Larry Brown. I thought he was on the record as saying the thing he hated about college basketball was recruiting, which is at least 50% of what an assistant does.
      The thing Larry Brown hates about college basketball is playing by the pesky rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

The thing Larry Brown hates about college basketball is playing by the pesky rules.
        the thing he likes is the cheerleaders

Comment

Two astute observations in a row...

Comment

The timing of this (if it happens) is bad for us, just as we begin to have recruiting success in that gold mine of a location

Comment

• Shockm
              Shockm commented
              Editing a comment
              Pin. You are a drama queen.

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            The timing of this (if it happens) is bad for us, just as we begin to have recruiting success in that gold mine of a location
            Meh. Other fish in the sea...and all that.

Plus, with no experience I doubt Penny lasts long. I mean if they are firing Tubby after year two. I doubt Penny makes it more than 4. Even if they do hire Brown as well.

As long as we keep Lomax I am not worried.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Shox The Revenant
              Shox The Revenant commented
              Editing a comment
              I could not care less about Penny and Memphis. What I do care about is whether if this makes Lomax want to stay home and play for Penny. If I was him, it would make perfect sense and I totally understand but it would hurt us very, very badly. If this goes down, pray that Harris goes to Memphis as I don't see Lomax and him (both PGs) wanting to eat into each other's PT.

• Shockm
              Shockm commented
              Editing a comment
              So it’s happened? Oh no. Hide the women and children.

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, Shockm. Lots of drama queens on board here. Amazingly, Shocker Mama isn't even one of them.

Hey! I heard that.

Comment

• Shockm
              Shockm commented
              Editing a comment
              A drama queen with an idle mind is a dangerous phenomena. Stay busy. :)

• Shocker Mama
              Shocker Mama commented
              Editing a comment
              For sure. Some crazy people keep expecting me to get work done.

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, Shockm -- Mama is a phenomena (plural of phenomenon, courtesy of your friendly SN syntax police) all by herself? No wonder she's such a notable poster.

Meanwhile, the end of Connecticut's sad season is just one more illustration of what can happen when a local hero takes over a prominent program. We shall see if Hardaway to Memphis turns out any differently, but I for one am skeptical.

Comment

Looks like Tubby is 100% done, his attorney is implying that Penny sabotaged recruiting in Memphis for him. He wouldn't be openly saying this if it wasn't over.
              Ricky Lefft questioned if Hardaway's desire to be the next Memphis coach affected Tubby Smith's inability to land local recruits, among other things.

Comment

• Shock Top
                Shock Top commented
                Editing a comment
                If that’s true, then that pretty poor decorum by Penny.

I guess all is fair in Love and Basketball.

Comment

While I'm not a big Tubby fan, revolving doors for coaches is not a recipe for success, especially when the next guy is an unproven commodity.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Comment

They kept Pastner so they could keep recruits, they're firing Smith (maybe) because he can't recruit. Make up your minds.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                      They kept Pastner so they could keep recruits, they're firing Smith (maybe) because he can't recruit. Make up your minds.
                      They are playing this like they are in Vegas trying to win their rent money. They know this will give them short term gains at the risk of major long term failure

Comment

• wufan
                        wufan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They are playing for their rent money. FedEx withheld some serious change for lack of attendance.
                    Working...
                    X