FBI Corruption Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
    Remember when I said we should all be careful who we talk trash on back when the Adidas stuff first came out and SPECIFICALLY brought up Fred ?

Yea. You all trashed me and claimed I was a KU fan. Some of you even claimed Fred was your "friend" and didnt even seem to care if sanctions came down because of him.

Well reality has hit. Have fun!
    120% KU fan.

Loser.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• How many of you would have taken a 1,000 dollars interest free loan your senior year of college knowing that it was against the rules but even if caught you would receive no penalties whatsoever?

Comment

• Shoxthemonkey
        Shoxthemonkey commented
        Editing a comment
        This argument doesn't hold water. It doesn't matter what I would have done. Fred knew the rules and broke one.

• 12eagle
        12eagle commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes he knew the rules, Yes he broke them but i would say most people (90%?) would do the same thing in the same situation. This doesn't make him a bad person just makes him human. I would be way more disappointed if it came out he was accused of an actual crime.

• Shock Top
        Shock Top commented
        Editing a comment
        Not entirely the case.

Have to add, if caught, everyone will know and people you love and care about will be effected past, present, and future.

• Just something to keep in mind, the schools (really the players, but the schools are getting reported) on this latest list are there largely because they have/had players with the talent to have a future deemed lucrative enough to have agents sniffing around and carelessly dropping c-notes out of their pockets, and the player picking them up. It's why there aren't any MVC or lower-level schools on that list. Of course, the casual fan is going to misapply the facts to conclude these schools were paying players or recruits. It's highly unfortunate.

And since this is just one agent/organization, I'm guessing their are at least 2-3 times as many players who have received similar benefits. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 5-6 times as many.

Comment

• Interesting thought, I wonder what the chances are that Duke and MSU are ruled ineligible for this years tournament?... Hello 2 seed.

Comment

• Cdizzle
          Cdizzle commented
          Editing a comment
          0 chance. The NCAA won't have time to rule, much less deal with appeals. And for once, it won't be because they were dragging their feet. Simply not enough time.

• 12eagle
          12eagle commented
          Editing a comment
          But schools could elect to hold out certain players named.

• Jhook89
          Jhook89 commented
          Editing a comment
          Even if they hold out the players, the wins up to this point would be vacated at some point, so they would have no resume to get in the tournament...

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
        http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...e42171975.html

If you were commissioner of college basketball, what would you change to help athletes?

VanVleet: I think the benefits could be more. I’m not saying put us on salary or anything. That’s probably pretty hard to do with Title IX and everything. I think the stipend could be a little more.

I think the school should be able to fly parents to at least the (NCAA) tournament games, if not regular-season games sometimes.

Wessel: For the tournament games, paying for so many family members to go. The NCAA makes so much money – you can get four family members to go, or even two. That way it’s not coming out of your parents’ pocket. That would help a lot. We’re all happy now with being on scholarship and getting our school paid for and being able to live. You look and see what everyone makes, and all that stuff, off of you guys playing and you kind of want a little bit more. At the same time, I’m glad to be where I’m at.

Baker: The most important thing is just the little things. I’m here all the time. I feel like I should be able to go eat on campus three times a day. And if I don’t, then I’d have some money, maybe, more to my stipend, to go eat somewhere.

It’s kind of skeptical why our families aren’t in on what we’re doing, as far as going to these games. These are lifetime games and I want my family to be a part of them. It would be nice if the NCAA could help out there. There’s a lot of big topics that go on about it, but the little things are what, I think, as an athlete are the ones we kind of talk about the most.

VanVleet: I just want a grocery card. Even $100 a month, that doesn’t come out of my stipend.
        It would be nice if the speed limit was 120mph down I-35. It would help peoples commutes so much. They could get back to their families quicker. Cars are safe to high speeds now. There are so many benefits.

And then theres the guy that does it. Still breaking the rules if you get caught. Still impermissible.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• shock
          shock commented
          Editing a comment
          so how do you defend the 15000 your boy took before he ever stepped foot on campus?

• ShockCrazy
          ShockCrazy commented
          Editing a comment
          I have no idea what your talking about. "My boy" took 3k in loans as a senior.

• shock
          shock commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you sure? Fred played for WSU.

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
        Remember when I said we should all be careful who we talk trash on back when the Adidas stuff first came out and SPECIFICALLY brought up Fred ?

Yea. You all trashed me and claimed I was a KU fan. Some of you even claimed Fred was your "friend" and didnt even seem to care if sanctions came down because of him.

Well reality has hit. Have fun!
        That posture is just as cowardly as your Chicken coach who won't play Wichita St. We're all glad he had no choice the last time.

You've shown your true colors.

Comment

• So if we are to vacate the NCAA Tourney wins/appearance, Dies that mean the MVC loses the Tourney revenue?

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
            So if we are to vacate the NCAA Tourney wins/appearance, Dies that mean the MVC loses the Tourney revenue?
            If there is a silver lining
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Comment

• wheathead
                wheathead commented
                Editing a comment
                Does this really have to be titled "shocking" report? Ugh.

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

So it's your opinion that Fred and these other players did not know it was against the rules to take money from shoe companies and sports agents?
              No, he certainly is at fault here too. I'm sure he and others like him knew. I guess I'm a little mad at him, but not as much as I'd be if he took a lot more or if our program was involved.

P.S. My main point I guess is I really hate the corrupt organizations involved that create this kind of situation. The NCAA has failed year after year to try and stop this. I'd argue they really don't care, especially when it comes to the money makers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                We might be looking at some vacated wins Fred's senior year, but we didn't even make it out of the first round that year. The real causality here may be FVV's legacy...
                Made it to the second round (hell, maybe even third round, depending on when NCAA changed the wording.)

WSU beat Vandy in Dayton, beat Arizona in Round of 64, and lost to Miami in Round of 32.
                78-65

Comment

• Jhook89
                  Jhook89 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meant to say opening weekend.

• The documents that were released remind me of this scene from the Wire:

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                  I’m actually curious as to what Fred’s response to this will be. Will he apologize for making a mistake or blame the NCAA for their treatment of college athletes?
                  I took a look at his Twitter and saw he liked this tweet: https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/sta...55021018877958

My guess is we won't be seeing an apology.
                  Last edited by Shoxfan11; February 23, 2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Shock Top
                    Shock Top commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I mean, he took the money. Has been outspoken about being players being paid in the past. Clearly he knew what he was doing and was okay with it. Why give an apology when you didn’t do it by accident?

• Originally posted by 12eagle View Post
                  How many of you would have taken a 1,000 dollars interest free loan your senior year of college knowing that it was against the rules but even if caught you would receive no penalties whatsoever?
                  What does that matter?

Comment

• ShockerPhi
                    ShockerPhi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm sure his point is along the lines of "Don't cast stones if you would have done the same"

Personally, I would have done the same. Probably.

• Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post

I took a look at his Twitter and saw he liked his tweet: https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/sta...55021018877958

My guess is we won't be seeing an apology.
                  This, to me, is disappointing. It's almost as if Fred is saying "screw the rules" and he's basically throwing coach under the bus at the same time. Just my take.

Comment

Working...
                  X