Assistant Coach Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistant Coach Question

What can you tell me about WSU assistant coach Donnie Jones? I know he's had a couple of reasonably successful stops as a D-I head coach. I also love the fact that he's associated with Gregg Marshall. Do you think he wants another shot at a head coaching gig? Is he the type who could be successful if he gets another shot? I know HCGM's assistants have a pretty decent track record when they take over programs. Lol...

Just curious as to what you all think of him. Thanks!!!

I think a lot of us are still kind of unsure about Coach Jones. Our defense has taken a step back this year without Coach Jans and Heiar and it's felt like we haven't had an assistant step up and be 3G's voice of reason, right hand man yet. It has gotten better that past couple of weeks though. Coach Jones did have the scout for the Cincy game on Sunday, and that had a pretty good result. He seems to be a great recruiter for sure.

Comment

Good recruiter, doesn’t seem to be a great coach. I could see him getting a shot again somewhere in the southeast. If you’re looking for a new head coach I’d recommend former Shocker assistant Greg Heiar before Donnie Jones.

Comment

What, are you on the Tree's coaching search committee? Please look elsewhere!

Coach Jones got a lot of credit for the Cincy game plan and one can't argue with the results. He seems to be a good recruiter although I'm not sure we've been able to see any results from his short tenure at this juncture.

I'd think the jury is still out on DJ right now. Hard to say how much impact he has actually had on the overall play of the team but thus far he seems to be getting favorable review from the players.

Comment

If you want to hire a good 3G assistant, go get Greg Heiar at LSU. Midwest guy, lots of success running his own JUCO program, comes from the Chris Jans connections.

Comment

There's absolutely NO way ISU is hiring Greg Heiar. He went to LSU for more money. He was making around 200K here. You think ISUb is going to pay the needed 400K+ for a 1st timer at the D1 level? I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              There's absolutely NO way ISU is hiring Greg Heiar. He went to LSU for more money. He was making around 200K here. You think ISUb is going to pay the needed 400K+ for a 1st timer at the D1 level? I don't.
              You’re probably right, unfortunately. My hobby is following the careers of coaches I would like to see at ISU. My list currently has about a dozen names on it, and I always look to HCGM”s staff for possible additions. Used to have Forbes and Jans on my list, but they’re out of reach now.

Ugh...

Comment

• Bluzrover
                Bluzrover commented
                Editing a comment
                Seriously, good luck. As us Shocker fans have known for quite some time, it all starts with the coach. It certainly helps to have a rapid fan base as very active alumni and athletic department support structure that has deep pockets. But I've always liked the rivalry we had with you guys and hope you can get your program back to a place you can all be proud.

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean that to be a slap, I want you guys to succeed. I just don't know what you do in today's arms race with no arms. You're going to have to find a nobody who's willing to take a chance on you, and then lose them when the succeed. I just don't know what other options a program has now that's in your shoes. Maybe Heiar wants a head job so bad he takes it just to take it IDK. I'm sure SOME assistant out there thinks that way, I just don't think it's Heiar from what I know of him.

Do you have IU on the schedule again in the near future? If so, convince Crean to come in and stick it to them.

Its a longer shot than the US mens team winning the World Cup but think big!
              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Everything that I’ve heard about Donnie has been good.

Comment

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He recruited some great NBA pros at Marshall and Florida. He provided a great game plan against The Bearcats. You watch. Hear worked hard but he’s gone. Our defense isn’t as good because FVV, Baker, Cotton, and Wessel were defensive studs, even in the NBA. They could muck up good offensive teams (Fred bragged about it) and make us competitive when offensively we weren’t as good. Now we tend to outscore teams more than then. Brown, Landry, etc. are good defenders but we don’t create nearly as many turnovers. You Moran’s know nothing about Donnie Jones.

Dr. Wu put it into your minds that we can’t make it without Chris and now your like a stampeding elephant who only knows how to criticize our Asst. Coaches. This is the only time he unwittingly did a disservice to our team. IMO.

• Walker
                  Walker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shockm I agree with you that Baker, Van Vleet, Cotton & Wessel were exceptional at defense. However, we had one of the top defenses last year with the exact same roster (minus Daishon Smith) and the defense has dropped drastically. The variables that have changed are conference affiliation and losing Coaches Jans and Heiar. Better conference is a big part of it, but losing Jans and Heiar is probably the biggest reason for the defense sliding a bit.

Rather than resorting to ad hominem attacks like calling people "Moran's" (I think you mean morons right?) why don't you look at the results? What Coach Jans is doing at NMSU is pretty impressive and indicative of somebody that really knows what he's doing and while LSU certainly aren't world beaters, they're much improved from the disaster they were last season.

I don't think Doc put it into anybody's head that we can't make it without Jans. People just make observations based on what they see, and for many times throughout the season, this team has done things that are very uncharcteristic of Shocker basketball. It has gotten better though, and the defense is starting to trend in the right direction. We have a slightly different identity, but we're playing with our hair on fire again, and with 3G starting to take timeouts, and with the adjustments that have been made lately, I think this staff is starting to gel with one another and big things are going to happen.

• BOBB
                  BOBB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Playing Drake and Bradley twice a year will help with your defensive stats.

Originally posted by IndyTreeFan View Post

You’re probably right, unfortunately. My hobby is following the careers of coaches I would like to see at ISU. My list currently has about a dozen names on it, and I always look to HCGM”s staff for possible additions. Used to have Forbes and Jans on my list, but they’re out of reach now.

Ugh...
                What’s ISU paying Lansing? Any idea what they would spend for a new HC?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Coach Heiar is making $300k at LSU. His next step, I would imagine, will be for around $700k as a head coach. He will get it, and be worth it.

Comment

Maybe pluck the HC from Chipola. Indiana guy with D1 HC experience. We’ve had good luck with the coaches that went through there (Jan’s and Haier).

Comment

ITF, consider that people on this board have little or no insight as to what Donnie contributes on the bench, in the practice gym or on the recruiting trail. The fact that both Billy Donovan and Gregg Marshall saw fit to hire him should carry a lot more weight regarding his value. Of course there is always the possibility that he's a better fit as an assistant coach. Certainly the best candidate is unlikely to succeed unless ISUB ups their game with budget and facilities.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

What’s ISU paying Lansing? Any idea what they would spend for a new HC?
                        Total, just about $300K. We need our BASE to get to $400K, and then we can incentivize to make a very nice package for good seasons.

The AD is a good guy who realizes that the future of our athletic department rests with men’s b-ball. We’ll see if he can move the budget needle.

He has has talked about the Wichita State model, so he sees what you all have done since about 2000...

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                          WSUwatcher commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Is there a Charles Koch counterpart in Terre Haute?

Originally posted by IndyTreeFan View Post

Total, just about $300K. We need our BASE to get to $400K, and then we can incentivize to make a very nice package for good seasons.

The AD is a good guy who realizes that the future of our athletic department rests with men’s b-ball. We’ll see if he can move the budget needle.

He has has talked about the Wichita State model, so he sees what you all have done since about 2000...
                        Then he should know that step 1 is eliminating football.

Comment

• Cdizzle
                          Cdizzle commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Step 2 is to increase the size of the Terre Haute metro by 500%.
                          Step 3 is to increase the size of the crowd by 150%.
                          Step 4 is to win the lottery.
                          Step 5 is to hire Gregg Marshall.

Good luck with that.
                      Working...
                      X