Official #19 WSU vs #5 Cincinnati Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    shocks02 Have we heard your report yet and I just missed it in the 500 pages of threads I’ve tried to pour over the last two days?
    Sorry, Im still in Cincinnati eating Skyline Chili with a huge grin on my face!

I was very impressed with NKU's arena. Only seats 9500, but every seat has a great view. I've never been to a European Soccer game, but for some reason that's what it reminded me of. UC had a huge drumline and they were great at keeping the energy up. I know since WSU doesn't have a marching band this won't ever happen but add it to my wish-list. The biggest difference between WSU and UC is the student section. UC's is just on another level but most of that can be explained by their 43K student enrollment. I think the Shocker fans are much better at rallying their team when need be.

Most of the UC fans we encountered were great. A couple of outliers who yelled profanity throughout the entire game. This certainly has the feel of a rivalry in the making.

Comment

• Not sure where to put this, but too funny not to post.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• moshock
        moshock commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got to be honest...the camera on Mick was cracking me up. That dude looks like an angry little man. Does anyone know who he was constantly yelling at...was it the refs ? his own players ? I would think he would have been T'd up for yelling like he was at the refs.

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

Sorry, Im still in Cincinnati eating Skyline Chili with a huge grin on my face!

I was very impressed with NKU's arena. Only seats 9500, but every seat has a great view. I've never been to a European Soccer game, but for some reason that's what it reminded me of. UC had a huge drumline and they were great at keeping the energy up. I know since WSU doesn't have a marching band this won't ever happen but add it to my wish-list. The biggest difference between WSU and UC is the student section. UC's is just on another level but most of that can be explained by their 43K student enrollment. I think the Shocker fans are much better at rallying their team when need be.

Most of the UC fans we encountered were great. A couple of outliers who yelled profanity throughout the entire game. This certainly has the feel of a rivalry in the making.
      I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I highly recommend making the return trip next year when we are back at home. Yesterday's environment was great, but the renovated 5/3 arena is going to be something to behold. The way the students are set up there is even better, as they are behind both baskets.

I have to agree with you on the 'rivalry' in the making. This felt like the start of one of those conference type rivalries. The ones you get when you have teams constantly at the top of the standings fighting it out. I thought it was the most intense atmosphere in the last few years outside of the Crosstown shootout against X.

We had a couple guys in our section (both UC fans) screaming profanity at each other at the end of the game over whether we should foul or not. It was that intense. I'm not surprised a few people let their emotions take over. There were a few shocker fans boasting on the way out. Didn't rub me the right way, but I don't have a big problem with it. To the victor go the spoils in my view. People are quick to label fanbases, but the truth is they are all the same, just bigger or smaller. Everyone runs the whole gamut from reasonable to maniac. Just add alcohol.

See you guys in a couple weeks. Glad there will be something on the line it's looking like.

Comment

• pogo
        pogo commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like you intend to make the trip. Wear red so we can pick you out. Seriously if you do just ask for places to eat or stay and someone will have an answer to any questions.

• Kung Wu
        Kung Wu commented
        Editing a comment
        Proof by contradiction that all fan bases are NOT all the same: Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, KU Chickenhox, Kentucky Wildcat fans.

But other than those 4 and a handful of others not worth mentioning, I do agree with the main thrust of your point.

I'll take a rivalry with Sin-cy every day of the week.

• Originally posted by bearcatnation View Post

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I highly recommend making the return trip next year when we are back at home. Yesterday's environment was great, but the renovated 5/3 arena is going to be something to behold. The way the students are set up there is even better, as they are behind both baskets.

I have to agree with you on the 'rivalry' in the making. This felt like the start of one of those conference type rivalries. The ones you get when you have teams constantly at the top of the standings fighting it out. I thought it was the most intense atmosphere in the last few years outside of the Crosstown shootout against X.

We had a couple guys in our section (both UC fans) screaming profanity at each other at the end of the game over whether we should foul or not. It was that intense. I'm not surprised a few people let their emotions take over. There were a few shocker fans boasting on the way out. Didn't rub me the right way, but I don't have a big problem with it. To the victor go the spoils in my view. People are quick to label fanbases, but the truth is they are all the same, just bigger or smaller. Everyone runs the whole gamut from reasonable to maniac. Just add alcohol.

See you guys in a couple weeks. Glad there will be something on the line it's looking like.
      I really enjoyed this take. I just like fanbases that "care." With Cincy fans that was very obvious. Great atmosphere came through on TV. Cincinnati brought the hustle. Wichita State got the win. Let's do it again in 2 weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

Funny you mention that play, because Cronin threw an unnamed player under the bus for that one. Cronin says he drew up exactly what we were going to do during the timeout. The plan was to bait us into into throwing the pass and then getting the steal. A player, that Cronin knows but didn’t want to name, screwed it up.
        It was Jamar Howard
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
          It was Jamar Howard
          Now there’s a classic reference. I still remember where I was when that happened. One moment you are ecstatic and the next moment you were dumbfounded

Comment

• BOBB
            BOBB commented
            Editing a comment
            He is still in my top 5 favorite Shockers.

• Originally posted by bearcatnation View Post
          One of the things I loved most about the game was watching the respect the players showed for each other throughout and in the post-game -- it wasn't quick handshakes, for the most part it was hugs and several seconds of chatting. It's easy for these kinds of physical budding rivalries to go bad quickly and color all future games, but through one at least, things look great.
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• The Shockers struggle on getting the ball in because they let the defense set up and take their time getting the ball in bounds. The last two play showed they can quickly get out of bounds and speed pass the ball to keep it moving. When they try to hold the ball and allow defenders to double team then they had problems. I'd like to see the ball handlers quickly dribble up court if they see an opening rather than eat the clock up taking away from their half court sets. A lot of team quickly push the ball up the court on a full court press because fewer defenders mean a more open court to drive or an open jump shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post

One of the things I loved most about the game was watching the respect the players showed for each other throughout and in the post-game -- it wasn't quick handshakes, for the most part it was hugs and several seconds of chatting. It's easy for these kinds of physical budding rivalries to go bad quickly and color all future games, but through one at least, things look great.
              The Commentators mentioned at least once that there wasn't any trash talking going on during the game, just hard nosed basketball.

Exactly the way it should be.
              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• This one isn't quite on the level of the one of Self in the NCAA tourney, but it's in the same category. Unfortunately, this looks like a direct upload to Facebook from a video capture, so I can only link to the Facebook post to show it.

https://www.facebook.com/deeann.w.he...35681484/?t=10[/video]
                Last edited by Aargh; February 20, 2018, 03:27 PM.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Shocker Mama
                  Shocker Mama commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He apparently is dissatisfied with the way his bra fits, near as I can tell.

• Just got around to watching this on my flight home. Few comments
                Cane Broome is pretty good. Going to have to watch for him during round 2.

Landry is really good

Cincy is lucky it was close at all, they got a very favorable whistle.

Their fans are idiots. Never heard so much booing in one game. They booed their own scorers table for screwing up the clock and booed their own team off the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                  They booed their own scorers table for screwing up the clock and booed their own team off the court.
                  People keep saying this but weren’t they just booing the refs off the court? Also, they weren’t booing Shaq getting up when he took the shot to his face, they were booing the refs for wanting to review it when it was obviously Willis’ doing

Comment

• im4wsu
                    im4wsu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They booed everything. I'm not certain that they weren't booing the paint drying on the court.
                Working...
                X