Official #19 WSU vs #5 Cincinnati Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im past GM and calling TOs.

Also, we can hate on Cronin for some stuff, but that dude is a competitor and asks for his players to be tough SOBs. We need 2 or 3 games against Mick Cronin teams every year! They are dress rehearsals for NCAA tourney games that we never got in the Valley.

I like his attitude and approach for what he wants his teams to be.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
      I know the Cincinnati fans were annoying with all the booing -- AT ANYTHING. But please, when they come to CKA let's show OUR class by not "paying them back in kind." We have a fan base that is very knowledgeable and well behaved -- AND LOUD. So let's just be loud and classy.
      Don't see that being a problem. For many years the CKA crowd has been in my opinion the most intelligent crowd in college basketball. Generally people in this city understand basketball and cheer and boo accordingly.

Comment

• If Shocker fans ever start booing an opposing player lying on the floor after getting hit, that is the day I stop being a Shocker fan. I like to think of our fans as being supportive, emotional, smart and loud . So far Cincy is the first crowd I have ever known to boo an injured player. Not good.

Comment

• The crowd boo’d the opposing team and refs at a basketball game? OMG. What is our society coming to?

Comment

• Rlh04d
            Rlh04d commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, because that crowd was what basketball games normally look like. 40 minutes of continuous scream booing, including at injured players and their own team after the loss, throwing objects onto the court, etc.

Just a normal basketball crowd.

• pie n eye
            pie n eye commented
            Editing a comment
            Right, this was the first time anyone’s thrown an object on the court. Never happened at Koch arena.

Could they have been booing because Willis was the one that hit Shaq? As in they were confused, thought the refs had called a foul on their team when it was actually self inflicted.

I doubt they were booing their own team at the end of the game. More likely they were pissed about the loss and saw Shaq dunking and the boos were a dumb/misguided outlet for their anger.

I have no problem with Cronin, the crowd or their team. I’m glad they are all passionate and want to win.

• pogo
            pogo commented
            Editing a comment
            You are right. I am sure the crowd was booing the fact that there was no foul called and they got the ball. Also the fact that Shaq was obviously just resting on the floor and not really hurt but trying to garner sympathy from those rabid well meaning Cincinnati fans. In all the years I have attended basketball games I have NEVER been to one where an opposing player was knocked /fell to the floor and an idiotic fan base acted like that even if they thought they had been screwed by a ref. But if you take that as a misunderstanding by a fan base and misdirected anger for a loss and feel like you need to use conjecture to rationalize that behavior then good for you. As for me I stand by my original statement.

• After that game last night, I feel like we should be having another huge game tomorrow. It definitely felt like a March Madness game. I'm pissed I have to wait till Wednesday and that we have to play Tulane.

But more rationally, I'm glad we get Tulane at home after that game. We certainly need an easier game after that cage match. That was one of the most hyped regular season game I can remember. And we have an even bigger one coming up on March 4th...

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
            ShockdaWorld commented
            Editing a comment
            I’d love to see our first ten play about the first 30 minutes and then rest and cheer on the youngins for the last ten in this one.

• bighouse
            bighouse commented
            Editing a comment
            Tulane has wins against Temple, SMU and Houston. No days off in this conference.

• ShockerPhi
            ShockerPhi commented
            Editing a comment
            Yikes, did not know they've beaten Houston. But yes, we certainly need to stay focused. People like to shoot lights out in our arena.

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I apologize in advance if this has been already answered. I had a busy day yesterday and have not read much of this thread. Anyways, if there is a two or three way tie for first at the end of the regular season, do all schools share the title? Or does it move down to head to head record or some other metric to determine the champion. I am guessing a shared title and metrics come into play to determine seeding for the AAC tournament, but that is just a guess. Thanks. Great win yesterday!

Comment

• Originally posted by Speak2me View Post
              I apologize in advance if this has been already answered. I had a busy day yesterday and have not read much of this thread. Anyways, if there is a two or three way tie for first at the end of the regular season, do all schools share the title? Or does it move down to head to head record or some other metric to determine the champion. I am guessing a shared title and metrics come into play to determine seeding for the AAC tournament, but that is just a guess. Thanks. Great win yesterday!
              My understanding is that yes all 3 teams will share the regular season title as Co-Champions. However, there will be a tiebreaker system for determining seeding for the AAC Tournament and I believe if the Shocks win out an share the title with Cincy and Houston that the Shocks would be the #1 seed under the AAC tiebreakers.

This is pretty standard operating procedure for most, if not all, conferences.

Comment

• What is the second tie-breaker for two teams that split the head-to-head match-up (or three teams that all go 2-2 vs. the group)?
                Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                  What is the second tie-breaker for two teams that split the head-to-head match-up (or three teams that all go 2-2 vs. the group)?
                  For a 2-team tie the second tiebreaker is each team’s record vs. the team or tied teams occupying the highest position in the standings. Continue down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

For a 3 (or more) team tie it can get a bit more complicated if the unbalanced scheduling comes into plays where not all 3 (or more) teams have the same number of games in the group.

You can find the tiebreaker rules for Men's Basketball on page 24 of the Men's Basketball Media Guide. I tried to post a link the the Media Guide but it did not work. You can find in on the AAC Men's Basketball page (link below) under Additional Links. Takes a little bit of time to download.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 19, 2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Topshock
                    Topshock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It is my understanding that in the case of a three way tie. The tiebreaker is the record those three teams have against each other which would give us the #1 seed in the tournament.

• Cdizzle
                    Cdizzle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As things sit right now, there are very few scenarios where WSU ends up with a share of the title but NOT the #1 seed.

Now, there are a lot of scenarios where WSU doesn't end up with a share of the title. Yesterday gave us a little breathing room from 4th, but we still have a lot of work to do.

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Topshock you are correct. The Shocks would win the tiebreaker in a 3-way with Houston and Cincy since they would be 3-1 and Cincy and Houstion would each be 2-2 in the group. The question initially posed is what is the 2nd tiebreaker which I don't think can come into play for the Shocks unless some very unexpected things happen. Assuming no upsets the Shocker game with Cincy will determine whether The Shocks are Co-Champs and the #1 seed in the AAC Tournament or finish 3rd in league play and a #3 seed. Although, that scenario can change if any of the top 3 teams are upset between now and the final day of the regular season.

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                  The crowd boo’d the opposing team and refs at a basketball game? OMG. What is our society coming to?
                  Well that’s the type of comment I’d expect from somebody that watched exactly 0 seconds of game tape.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• pie n eye
                    pie n eye commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grizzly Adams did have a beard.

• Shoutout to my boy Zach Brown who continues to show out in big games.

He's 6th in ORating in conference-only games, and is shooting 49% from 3 in Tier 1 games the last 2 seasons.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                    Shocktoberfest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dude was obviously having a lot of fun out there yesterday. I just love seeing the smiles, love and camaraderie of our guys. So cool!

• im4wsu
                    im4wsu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He certainly made up for that first "throw" from the corner!

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  You can find the tiebreaker rules for Men's Basketball on page 24 of the Men's Basketball Media Guide. I tried to post a link the the Media Guide but it did not work. You can find in on the AAC Men's Basketball page (link below) under Additional Links. Takes a little bit of time to download.
                  Media Gu;ide

Comment

• shocks02 Have we heard your report yet and I just missed it in the 500 pages of threads I’ve tried to pour over the last two days?

Comment

• First, congrats on the win yesterday. I thought you guys came out with a phenomenal gameplan, and Morris caused a matchup issue with Washington that caused him to get benched (which wasn't the right move IMO, but I quite correctly don't get paid to coach basketball). Shmaet really played fantastic in the first half and had us playing from behind. Hope for another great one in a couple weeks.

Second, I thought I'd bring some clarity to a couple issues people had with the crowd. The fans were quite upset at Ted Valentine yesterday as he was actively inciting some in the stands yesterday, which sadly shouldn't come as a surprise if you've ever watched him before. I think that was the source of a lot of the angst towards the referees, as most people I talked to after the game were more upset about him than any of the calls. He has a particular history with Mick which caused him to be endeared to our fanbase in a unique way (you can look it up on youtube).

As for the Morris injury, I can't speak for everyone at the arena, but our fans were not likely booing him. It was a unfortunate case of timing, as the officials had gone over to review the play which caused the fans to get upset at the officials again.

As for someone throwing something on the court, I blame the relocation to Kentucky for that one. Something about that state makes people a little different.

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                        ShockdaWorld commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I hope you’re right about your fans not booing Shaq, although some of the twitter reaction I saw would lead me to believe otherwise. I’m well aware all fan bases (including ours) have their fair share of whiners and all around a$$holes, but the crowd that was portrayed on yesterday’s ESPN broadcast made it appear that it’s a rather large percentage of UC fans. And I completely agree with Kung Wu. I’m sooooo grateful that we’re having this conversation with a Cinci fan rather than a swomo fan.

• ShockTalk
                        ShockTalk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for posting. Sincerely hope any fans you have at our next meeting here will have good things to say about our fans in general and our atmosphere.

• pogo
                        pogo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I can believe that the fans were booing the referee's if they were going to view the monitors to see if a flagrant foul had occurred. HCGM has some history with a couple of referee's as well so I can believe that a lot of the hate WAS directed to a referee. As far as I'm concerned i'm good with those explanations.
                    Working...
                    X