FBI Bombshell Coming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI Bombshell Coming...

Haven't seen any threads on this topic lately... thought I'd start one.

Coming from a military background, and being the youngest child in my family, nothing heats me up more than little guys getting picked on /// injustice disproportionately hurting others. I challenge any of you to take the trek over to the Phog forum and try to stomach some of the literary diahreah getting regurgitated on that board. Here's a taste:

"The question isn't of KU's cleanliness. It's these 3:

-Will the FBI care enough to hand over its files to the NCAA when it's done with criminal stuff
    -Will the NCAA have the ability to dig through this stuff in the next 10 years
    -Will the NCAA have any interest in severely punishing its cash cows?

All those things have to happen, which is why I'd almost prefer reports like this that basically implicate every major program. When nobody is clean, everybody is basically clean."

Also...

"Here's the thing - do any of you really think that we are completely clean? Think about it honestly and completely. I certainly don't. I have zero doubt that we are dirty in the true sense of the rules. But, just about every school is. If you have the opportunity, sit down and have a beer with any type of AAU coach or even a coach of a DII or NAIA team, who also have to recruit, just not the same players but they are around the same tournaments and guys.

If Pandora's box truly gets opened, my opinion is that the NCAA will essentially have to say something like "Hey, we have done a really poor job of managing this situation, but we did what we could with the staff that we have. We take the blame and, for that, we are wiping the slate clean and starting over with the following changes (insert sweeping rules changes here)." There will just be so much potential carnage to so many programs (not to mention the top-tier programs) that they won't have the ability to punish everyone and have an NCAA basketball tournament with an overall number 1 see of Harvard."

Un-fu*king-believable.

It's a special kind of entitlement to ADMIT to doing something wrong, and simply shrugging your shoulders when getting caught whilst saying, "Wellp, everyone was doing it, so what do you expect? You can't punish us because, like, are you going to have Harvard be the 1 seed? Lol."

Yes. Yes you ignorant fools. I would LOVE to see the best team doing it the right way win a National Championship. What did we expect?! How about integrity? How about the ability to lay your head down on you pillow at night KNOWING you did the right thing?

I get frustrated with KU fan just as much as the next guy, but this is over the top. I have coworkers- THAT WORK FOR A COMPANY WHOSE GUIDING PRINCIPLE IS INTEGRITY- telling me, "Come on... everyone is doing it." I ardently disagree. Furman is not paying players. Drake is not buying guys vehicles. People are doing it the right way. When KU, Duke and other BCS schools are paying players, you are- without a shadow of doubt- disporotionatly hurting the Furmans, Drakes, and yea- Wichita States of the world.

Another great one I hear: "But we're getting in trouble for buying guys bagels every year. Guys are getting disciplined for taking an extra t-shirt from a booster."

It blows my mind that KU has a guy in trouble EVERY SINGLE YEAR for getting free bagels. Rather than getting mad at the organization enforcing the rules, how about you quit buying guys bagels? Or, better yet, quit recruiting players that are looking for free bagels!

I love Wichita State. It would break my heart- devastate me if Wichita State was indicted.... but I am confident that I would never retort, "Wellp everyone was doing it."

It saddens me these type of people are voting, raising children, and living amongst us.

the ncaa was created, near kansas city, by the haves for the haves. the have nots are excluded. that's all they know. dean smith was an untouchable, for example. been that way for 50+ years.

Comment

• SweetShocker
      SweetShocker commented
      Editing a comment
      I could not disagree with you more.. To suggest that their are no clean programs is ludicrous. By making your statement what you have basically said is " I would do it" The mentality of sheep is; that everybody does it so that makes it acceptable. Everybody does not do it! I am glad that you don't play Wichita State. That's a loser mentality.

There's a thread down in the 'Around the NCAA" subforum on this (with the most recent news), but it is probably a significant and relevant enough topic to have here on the MBB subforum. My thoughts anyway.

Shouldn't shock anyone to hear NIMBY and "rules don't apply to me" thought process from the KU camp. The KU demo - specifically the families with a direct connection to the school - is loaded with types who hold that absolutes are subjective, and money/influence is a great thing to move along issues to your own benefit. It is weird to have that vibe from a public university, but KU is one of the few around the country where it is common.

Comment

I really hope these guys get crushed.

I will say that I mentally split apart these kind of rules violations, though -- and obviously you don't, which is fine. Personally, I think the NCAA is a corrupt **** show, and it absolutely exhausts me that coaches make the amount of money they do while riding the hard work of "student athletes" and "free bagels" is a problem. Jimbo Fisher got paid $75 million guaranteed to coach football at Texas A&M -- guaranteed! -- and the players putting their lives on the line in many cases can't have bagels? Screw that. I'm all for integrity, but I also do not believe in supporting unjust rules, simply because they are rules. $75 million is probably what 99.9% of players COMBINED going through Texas A&M's doors will make in lifetime earnings from playing their sport professionally. And it's probably a million for every kid Fisher will have get a life-altering traumatic brain injury under his watch.

But when schools are basically buying players from AAU brokers the way it seems to be happening -- I want those programs to be crushed.

Not to make this into a "should student athletes be paid or not" debate, but I draw the dividing line of what I want to see between what I see as ultimately fair for the student athletes, and what I see as completely unfair competitive practices -- buying players and so on. If Kansas is buying kids bagels, or giving a kid a ride somewhere, I will happily look the other way, because I find those to be unjust rules from a corrupt system. If Kansas is buying players, crush them. Same with every other college program, including us if it comes to it.
      Originally posted by BleacherReport
      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• WichitaStateGuy
        WichitaStateGuy commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic post, friend. I really appreciate your point of view. Like you, I can logically separate the bagels from the bags of cash... but from a personal integrity standpoint, I know where I stand, and where I expect my future child (expecting my first!) to stand.

Dilly Dilly!

• Rlh04d
        Rlh04d commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats on the child!

• im4wsu
        im4wsu commented
        Editing a comment
        Bagels and bags of cash are not equal. Bagels and no bagels are not equal. Penalties SHOULD escalate as the level of the crime escalates.
        An absolutely clean school should get no penalty; the school offering free bagels should get a very minor penalty, the school allowing grades for no classes should get severe penalties and schools that buy recruits/families should be given death penalties.

It the rules are ridiculous, then get them changed. Otherwise, abide by them. Don't break them and say, don't penalize me because the rule is silly.

It will be funny when UK comes out as the only clean blue blood.

I can honestly see that happening as they may have been the one program that didnt have to...

But then again, who knows. The whole thing started around Adidas, so the conventional wisdom tells me the liklihood of the guilty parties would be those schools.

At the end of the day, the KU fans logic is probably true...
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Speed
        Speed commented
        Editing a comment
        1 name says it all... Worldwide Wes.

It's not gonna change a thing. Too much power, influence and money. A corrupt world it is. And for a lack of a better word simply sucks.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

You can see this coming. First, once the report comes out the NCAA and all the universities involved will provide their tried and true rubber stamp statement "this is a criminal matter and we will allow the legal process to work its course before we get involved". Once the legal dust settles (who knows how long that will take), then look for the NCAA to slowly prod along with its investigation and decision making as to whether penalties will be handed down. Mind you, it took the NCAA ten years to finally settle the UNC academic scandal, how long do you think it will take them to address what appears to be numerous programs and infractions.

That said, if the FBI report is as damaging as everyone thinks it is, then this may be the catalyst that spawns public outcry and the demand for immediate and swift action by the NCAA. They will be compelled to address the matter in a timely fashion. Or, they could say the sheer volume of the infractions will take time to investigate and they stall their efforts for years hoping everyone will just forget. Excuse my pessimism, but I have no confidence in the NCAA and I look to see the blue bloods to get slapped on the wrists and mid-tier power 5 and mid-major programs get hammered. At the end of the day, the NCAA only cares about revenue and they can't afford the top tier programs getting hammered because no one wants to watch Wichita State and Seton Hall in the NCAA championship game.

Comment

• ShockerDropOut
          ShockerDropOut commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. See UNC academic scandle. The NCAA punted any responsibility for punishing wide spread academic fraud. I fear they will do the same here. I have zero confidence in their priorities beyond $$$.

Hey, no one was really doing anything wrong since practically everybody was breaking the rules anyway. Lighten up guys. Rules don't matter if no one follows them.

...yes, that was sarcastic.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

wasn’t it ku that paid andy wiggins over $100,000 to play there for a year?

Comment

Originally posted by InWuWeTrust View Post
            wasn’t it ku that paid andy wiggins over $100,000 to play there for a year?
            that seems to be the going rate for top-5 ranked high school players. any ncaa office worker knows that.

one and done, baby.

Comment

Xavier Henry probably got a pretty penny. There was a lot of “recruiting” going on with this kid up till school started.

Comment

Took a peak over at the cess pool that is the phog.. I would just hate to be a KU fan. They won a exciting game last night and all's they can talk about is how they bitterly hate WVU, rest of the Big 12, Old Big East, New Big East and the AAC while wondering about the FBI at the sametime.
                How does a fan base get that negative? Being that they all think the Big 12 will collapse, I wonder why they would be so flippant towards WVU? Kind of seems like if one more school were to bolt, it would start another chain reaction.
                It would be hilarious if the FBI unleashed on them and then the Big 12 collapsed a few months later. Not only would they wash up in a new conference with embarrassing football, they would also be terrible in basketball.

Comment

• SweetShocker
                  SweetShocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry for a little nit pick, but all's is not a word. All in itself is inclusive and needs no 's ,just like anyway which is also all inclusive in itself and needs no 's.

• im4wsu
                  im4wsu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by SweetShocker commented

Sorry for a little nit pick, but all's is not a word. All in itself is inclusive and needs no 's ,just like anyway which is also all inclusive in itself and needs no 's.
                  Since we're not nitpicking, "all's" is a word -- a contraction for "all is." It is not appropriately used in the sentence you referred to, but it is a word.

• SHOCKvalue
                  SHOCKvalue commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think it is an unwritten rule of the universe somewhere that when someone goes grammer nazi in a call-out post that karma bites them in the rear with obvious and seemingly systematic errors of their own.

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                Took a peak over at the cess pool that is the phog.. I would just hate to be a KU fan. They won a exciting game last night and all's they can talk about is how they bitterly hate WVU, rest of the Big 12, Old Big East, New Big East and the AAC while wondering about the FBI at the sametime.
                How does a fan base get that negative? Being that they all think the Big 12 will collapse, I wonder why they would be so flippant towards WVU? Kind of seems like if one more school were to bolt, it would start another chain reaction.
                It would be hilarious if the FBI unleashed on them and then the Big 12 collapsed a few months later. Not only would they wash up in a new conference with embarrassing football, they would also be terrible in basketball.
                You forgot to add them having to vacate the streak :)

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

It saddens me these type of people are voting, raising children, and living amongst us.
                  NE Kansas is full of them, Guy -- remember the incident some years ago where Piper HS basically dumped a teacher who wanted to hold kids accountable for cheating in class because the cheaters' parents gave the school board hell for allowing their precious little ones' transcripts to be damaged? Piper is in the heart of NE Kansas, right between Lawrence and KC, probably full of Chickenhawk fans.

Best to stay away from the Phog altogether, and the great thing is that you don't even need an Ignore function the way we do around here; you can just avoid looking at the site.

It's amusing in the stuff you quoted, however, that someone apparently thinks of The Flagship as one of the NCAA's cash cows. Football is what fills up the bank vault, and secondarily the NCAA men's tournament -- but does anyone seriously believe March Madness TV ratings would tank if the Univeristy of Adidas-Lawrence went on probation and had to sit out a year? And we all know they aren't an asset in any sense when it comes to football. Truly delusional indeed.

Comment

Working...
                  X