Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asbjorn Midtgaard

So here we are at 20 - 5.

Is anyone else surprised that WSU did not redshirt Asbjorn Midtgaard?
    I was talking to a buddy of mine and it just seems odd that with all of our bigs that we had to of known
    that Midtgaard would not see the court much this year at all.

Curious as to what others think.
    Don't sweat the petty things .....and.....don't pet the sweaty things.

No I am not surprised. Ideally I think 3G would probably have preferred to redshirt him. However, with all of our big men departing after this season he wanted to get Asbjorn as much experience as he could this year so that he would at least have one big an with a little bit of experience next year. Unfortunately, he has not had as many opportunities this year to get Asbjorn minutes compared to what he usually had in the Valley.

I could be wrong but I think 3G publicly stated this early in the year. Would he change his mind on that if he new what he knows now. Hard to say, although nothing you can do about it now.

Comment

• pogo
      pogo commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe you are right in that during one of his shows/interviews he stated that because of the nature of better competition in the AAC he had been less likely to be able to bring in the clean up crew.

He will be 21 yrs old this fall. It's time for him to jump on a hard and fast learning curve now.

Comment

Well, I think you all know where I stand on this. There is a reason he didn't redshirt and it's not the playing time he isn't getting this year.

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Umm, no I don't. Sorry to say I cannot remember where every SNr stands on all the different things on SN and I'm certainly not going to try to find it. If it's long and drawn out, don't bother, that's OK. If it's short and sweet, please just say it.

He might be a Gal Mekel, play a few years in college and not make the impact that was expected and then bounce to the Euro League.

Comment

I am expecting / hoping AM will give us 16-18 quality minutes per game next year. Seven rebounds and
        a couple blocked shots a game would be good production from him as a soph. He will be a fan
        favorite for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
          I am expecting / hoping AM will give us 16-18 quality minutes per game next year. Seven rebounds and
          a couple blocked shots a game would be good production from him as a soph. He will be a fan
          favorite for sure.
          that probably would make him all conference

Comment

I would be surprised if he ever plays major min. At WSU

Comment

Originally posted by 12eagle View Post
              I would be surprised if he ever plays major min. At WSU
              Hard to tell as of yet. I wonder if his upside is higher the say Garrett Stuzt? And then I wonder that Garrett played when we were in the MVC and of course Asbjorn plays in the ACC. Right now I'm leaning towards Asbjorn does have a higher ceiling. Time will tell....
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

AM is probably better right now than Garrett was as a freshman. Unfortunately for him, he’s playing on a much higher level team than Garrett was. If he can’t get playing time next year, we have a problem. As it sits now, I am planning to see him get a lot of court time next year.

i will also say he really seems to be enjoying himself. He’s probably the most expressive player on the bench, and that says a lot.

Comment

• Topshock
                  Topshock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If he sees a lot of court time next year then I think it will be a very disappointing year by the standards that have been set around here.

His bench decorum says to me that he may be incapable of the laser focus it takes to play on this level.

• shock
                  shock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your posting decorum says to me that your mom needs to march downstairs and seize your computer. Fever, kick that woman out of bed so she can deal with her basement troll!

His bench decorum constitutes his ability to focus? Really?
                Go Shocks!

Comment

• Topshock
                  Topshock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes really. That is why a coach recruiting a kid watches every move he makes when he is on the bench.

• ShockerDropOut
                  ShockerDropOut commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In case you forgot.....HCGM did in fact recruit this young man. I will trust 3G.

For the love... big guys always look less than good with limited minutes. College basketball is hard if you only get moments to adjust.

With that stated - he has shown all the tools required to be significant contributor in the future. This year was always going to be hard for him without any type of injuries to the three seniors in front of him.

Buy the stock.

Comment

• Topshock
                  Topshock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Are we going to do this again? What tools has he shown? He hasn't shown he can guard the perimeter or protect the rim or shoot from outside of 5 feet.

Look at Jock Landale for Saint Mary's. Dude played about 100 minutes total his freshman year and was pretty much a non-factor and that's playing in the WCC. Now he's a senior that is a double double machine and a key piece to a damn good Saint Mary's team.

Asbjorn is on track to have about the same numbers Jock did his freshman year. Not saying Asbjorn is going to be Jock Landale, but just because he hasn't had substantial minutes, doesn't mean he can't be developed into an impactful player.

As far as bench decorum, he seems engaged, passionate and fired up for his teammates albeit a bit confused at times. What freshman/foreigner isn't?

Comment

My goodness! We've got fans writing off first-year players because they aren't getting minutes on a top-20 team in the nation and are enthusiastic on the bench.

If you want a 7' player who sees court time as a Fr on a ranked team, then get on the Adidas bandwagon, or is it the "Audi wagon". Lomax has a 7' Jr. running mate on his HS team (Wiseman) who is very skilled. If you think he hasn't al;ready been seeing 6-figure offers to go the the "right" school, wear the "right" shoes, and sign with the "right" agent, then you're probably pretty naive about how D1 basketball really works.

The 4-year 7' guys are going to look pretty rough in their Fr years. Patrick O'Brien was mediocre as a Fr, decent as a So, and a lottery pick after his So year.
                  Last edited by Aargh; February 17, 2018, 11:41 AM.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Topshock
                    Topshock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He was never going to see minutes this year so if his future is so bright, why wasn't he redshirted?

• Topshock
                    Topshock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I get sick of your little condescending attitude. You have written players off before they ever arrived on campus - AR. I was extremely high on him before he even signed. It is an opinion. People are allowed to have them on a message board.

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                  Well, I think you all know where I stand on this. There is a reason he didn't redshirt and it's not the playing time he isn't getting this year.
                  I have come to the conclusion that Asbjorn gave the proverbial "Thor's Thunder" to your old lady.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Topshock
                    Topshock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If that is an example of your deductive reasoning then that explains a few things about you.

When I evaluate a player it is nothing personal, just an evaluation of their talent as I see it. Some of you are just comical in how defensive you are about these players, like they are your children or something.
                Working...
                X