Official #19 WSU vs Temple Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

Actually I agree with you...I don't like the way Self recruits. He sells his soul for 5 star one-and-dones who often don't

work out. I prefer the the 3 and 4 star recruits that WSU gets and tries to develop.
    Does it bother you that Self is afraid to play WSU? We only have mid-major talent, right? Bill Self he would never play a Marshall-coached team at Winthrop and certainly would never play a WSU team coached by Marshall. How do you explain that?

Comment

Actually I agree with you...I don't like the way Self recruits. He sells his soul for 5 star one-and-dones who often don't

work out. I prefer the the 3 and 4 star recruits that WSU gets and tries to develop.

I agree with you totally...

Develops them well enough to beat teams with 5* recruits. 78-65 proves it. Without Cleanthony even.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
        Two stats that jumped out at me tonight. Both teams only commit 7 turnovers. In hopes that's all we have versus Cin. We shot 29 throws and they shot 14. 9 of those throws were on the three ill-advised fouls we made as they were shooting 3-pointers. Ouch
        Speaking of interesting stats. The Shocks scored 20 second chance points on 9 offensive rebounds. 2.2 points per extra possession. Not too shabby.

Comment

• Quotables: Temple Postgame

Comment

• That was fun
            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by ISASO View Post

Does it bother you that Self is afraid to play WSU? We only have mid-major talent, right? Bill Self he would never play a Marshall-coached team at Winthrop and certainly would never play a WSU team coached by Marshall. How do you explain that?
              I don't understand it either. The thing is well coached mid major talent has beaten Self quite a few times in the tournament so there is that. Probably has something to do with wanting to be the flag ship program in the state. It may have worked for a while recruiting wise in the Wichita metro but with Marshall's program in place it likely won't work in the future.

Comment

I don't understand it either. The thing is well coached mid major talent has beaten Self quite a few times in the tournament so there is that. Probably has something to do with wanting to be the flag ship program in the state. It may have worked for a while recruiting wise in the Wichita metro but with Marshall's program in place it likely won't work in the future.
                Again we agree. Reaching for 5*'s doesn't always pay off. Did the ChickenHawks make the cut? :

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-top-16-seeds/

Looks like this was one FBI investigation that was on the up-and-up. No?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Again we agree. Reaching for 5*'s doesn't always pay off. Did the ChickenHawks make the cut? :

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-top-16-seeds/

Looks like this was one FBI investigation that was on the up-and-up. No?
                  That's why Self never played Preston in the regular season. There was no telling what that investigation would turn up. A 6-10 five star inner city kid with sports agents trying to get a piece of him and his family is just not a good scenario to explore.

Comment

That's why Self never played Preston in the regular season. There was no telling what that investigation would turn up. A 6-10 five star inner city kid with sports agents trying to get a piece of him and his family is just not a good scenario to explore.
                    He's not the only 5* they've ever recruited. This investigation goes back years.

Comment

• Shocker Mama
                      Shocker Mama commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I heard from a KU fan that Billy Preston’s high school girlfriend’s father bought the car and gave it to him. Can’t believe the NCAA didn’t accept that for the loving gesture it was meant to be.

• Dan
                      Dan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wonder how he’s feeling about that ROI about now

• Aargh
                      Aargh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If..."Billy Preston’s high school girlfriend’s father bought the car and gave it to him"...that would have been perfectly legal and there would have been no reason for Preston to have not played for KU.

Unless there were issues with the source of the $$ for his girlfriend's father to have bought the car.

• So happy for the win and RELIEVED to see them snap out of the funk and find a way to win with their backs against the wall!

Loved the lower turnovers, this is huge going forward.

Would still like to see the offense work, consistently, a bit closer to the hoop (seems we like to operate 30' from the basket).

Was this a remote broadcast? Sounded strange on TV.

Will need to fix the way we guard the perimeter against Cinci. Still leaving too many guys open from three. Off-ball help will also be very important, but this seems to have improved in recent games.

Keep rolling, Shocks!

Comment

• Regarding our defense, Coach said after the game that Temple killed us in Philly with drives and short jumpers, I assume the game plan was to pack the paint and give more cushion on the 3, which obviously backfired if that was the case. In this conference, you have to defend everything, hopefully our guys are figuring that out. It’s not like the Valley where you can key on 2 or 3 guys and one type of offense. These teams are good enough to adjust to what you are giving them. We can’t afford to dig a hole like this against Cincy, need to come with the same effort that we had this 2nd half for a full game.

Comment

• My take on our defense last night. We came out soft, played with low energy, and always seemed to
                        be a step behind. Temple took advantage with some outstanding shooting. The second half we came
                        out with much better energy / intensity. We have to start doing that from the opening tip and sustain it
                        throughout the game. We have the depth to do it for 40 minutes. We might have been looking towards
                        Sunday a little bit and they were playing for their season.

Comment

• 1. Temple has a damn smart coach.

2. What was the deal with five of their kids wearing hoodies up during warmups?

3. Loudest crowd I've ever been a part of. Won the game.

4. I'm not sure this conference has anybody Conner can guard.

5. Duff not getting any minutes. Has to eat at him.

6. We gonna have zero inside presence next year. Ugg.

7. Temple shoulda been called for many more fouls.

8. Interaction on the bench appeared different, and better.

9. Temple is not gonna finish 4th in the conference, but they might be the 4th team in the dance.

10. Probably the most fun I've ever had at a Shocker game.

Comment

• I feel like I’m seeing another case of mid major being defined by a conference and not a program or even by the quality of the player himself.

if mid major talent is defined by WSU being in any conference other than the P5, then I guess t makes sense how a guy would come onto a WSU forum and call us mid major talent while we are in the process of beating #39 and improving to #17 ourselves.... wait...

but if mid major is defined by the talent of the players or even in some cases the number of stars they have, then I guess any time a P5 team recruits ANYONE who is only a 4 star player or dare I say 3 star player, that P5 team has mid major talent...

so I guess every team other than Kentucky is actually mid major. Hardly an insult if that’s how you look at it.

Comment

• Duff is gonna have to play 4 next year, He’s the only guy with any size and experience. It’s actually his best position, IMO.

Comment

• proshox
                                proshox commented
                                Editing a comment
                                No brainier of the year. He can’t score against threes and can defend fours. Why we aren’t doing it this year is head scratching.
                            Working...
                            X