No announcement yet.

Uconn gamethread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much to say, pretty one-sided, some entertaining moments, first half was fun to watch. Glad to see CJ get minutes and AM score. Maybe someone can stress to SMJ that at this level of play a guy a foot taller than he is will not, most times, let him get to the basket. If he will just give some CALM relief for a few minutes to allow Landry to get a bit of rest, he will, in my opinion, earn his time on the floor. The CALM part is a bit of a stretch. His motor only runs one speed -- reckless. I feel bad for UCONN because it seemed they played pretty hard; even playing us pretty even the second half but we had built such a lead there was no cutting into it.

Comment

things I think

1. Kevin Ollie is coaching his last season at UC.

2. CJ may have the tools to be a lockdown defender, but he is not one.

3. The first half was about as good as we can be.

4. Bob and Ted are really, really, good on the locker room show.

5. If SHJ were to transfer to Newman, he might be a D II All-American, and he would not have to sit a year.

6. Took my grandson to the game, he'd never been to the Roundhouse before, pretty cool.

7. Midtgaard shook that rebound like a terrier shaking a rat.

8. Had a hamburger at Freddy's prior to the game. They are soooo good.

9. One of my favorite parts is when a player tries to go one on one and our guy stops him and he has to throw the ball out front to start over. Then the crowd recognizes what has been done and applauds. I love that.

10. Congrats to Anna Dixon, a wonderful young lady.

Comment

any pix of "Midtgaards" in attendance?
        For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
        - said no one ever...

Comment

Speaking of attendance, did anyone else see an extremely tall (7 foot plus) white kid walking around in the concourse last night before the game?

BTW, this isn’t a “I know something you don’t” post. I honestly had no idea who he was.

Comment

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            Boy do I hate those "I know something you don't" posts. People. Sheesh.

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw him, white kid wearing WSU gear?

• shoxlax
            shoxlax commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw him from the back/side but I guarantee you he was every bit of 7' plus Dan. Not sure what he was wearing.

Fun game. Lots of good performances. I think CF would have gone five for five if Nurger doesn’t screen. It was clear CF didn’t want a screen.

SHJ just needs to get the team into the offense for four or five minutes. I know it is hard for a scorer to facilitate, but some uninterrupted minutes would help him. I am sure American coaches have told their team to just to focus on him when he is in the game.

HCGM sure looked to get everyone in a good mental space. Hopefully that pays off.

I still want to see LS, CF, AR, with RK or MM at the four, and a 5.

I think that lineup is a nightmare for American Teams.

Comment

• Rlh04d
            Rlh04d commented
            Editing a comment
            SHJ is a scorer? I thought he was a track star padding block numbers for the other team.

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
          Is this the shortest game thread EVER? It usually takes me hours to read through 20 pages when I get home from CKA.
          Not much to ***** and moan about. :)
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Preach it

Comment

Great game, great effort. It's cool to be playing regular season games against programs that won the national championship less than 4 years ago. However, my goodness, has UConn fallen. That program may be sitting proof of "the program = the coach" situation. It's too bad. We need them to be good.

I don't think one player had a bad game. Except maybe SHJ, who unfortunately, will never "get it". I agree with pin that he could be playing ball next year in Wichita, just not with black and gold. And that would probably best suit him.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Rlh04d
                Rlh04d commented
                Editing a comment
                At the very least it really shows the importance of making the right hire at a program that does equal the coach, when it comes time to replace them.

There are programs in all sports that have so many foundational advantages that an average coach can still succeed to a pretty decent limit. You'd have to be really doing something poorly to not do well coaching basketball at Kansas or UNC, or coaching football at Miami or USC, because of the history of success and talented recruiting areas they're sitting in.

UConn isn't in that tier -- and we aren't, either. UConn chose wrong with Ollie. Hopefully we'll do better when that day comes. Granted, as head scratching a decision as Ollie was, we couldn't do much worse.

• SHOCKvalue
                SHOCKvalue commented
                Editing a comment
                UCONN might not be blue blood status, but they are certainly in the next step out, and probably number one on that particular list.

• shoxlax
                shoxlax commented
                Editing a comment
                They have some talent. Adams is an NBA player and two of their freshman both look like guys that could be excellent players in any league.
                If Ollie leaves (by being told to) and with the cloud hanging over the program, I think defections may be in order and the person that takes them over is going to have to endure a couple more rough years before righting the ship.

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
              Is this the shortest game thread EVER? It usually takes me hours to read through 20 pages when I get home from CKA.
              The game was over in the first ten minutes.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Great to see Landry, Austin and Conner all shooting well. What a difference it makes.
                Don't think I would change this lineup for awhile. A guard change sparked us last year, hope this one does as well.
                A third solid game Thursday will go along way in reestablishing this team as a contender..
                AM has good hands. I think game experience will show him to be a solid rebounder and inside scorer.
                SHJ needs to learn to dump the ball off. Will make him much more effective.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

You always look good when you're shooting it well. Last night was no exception. But I thought the intensity was way up. I thought where everyone was, mentally, was way up.

Conner's fast break pass to Austin on the left wing for a 3 was DELICIOUS. It was 2 on 1 and I freaking LOVE that Conner was looking for, if not encouraging him there. Austin wanted to be there and he was ready to shoot, Jack. I 100% believe if the lone UCONN defender would have been quick enough to jump at Austin, he'd have fired it right back to Conner for the 3 anyway. The Huskies were giving up a 3 on that possession, one way or the other.

Sharing the ball.......as Coach Ollie said in his post game, they passed up good shots for great ones. 17 assists on 19 first half baskets and I think the other 2 were stick backs. That's strong. You win championships playing like that WHEN you combine that with some tough D and yesterday was good solid D. Nothing spectacular....not even typical HC3GM D. But the way these guys score, it was plenty good enough. Play like that guys, and these upcoming Cincy games are going to be epic battles.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                    Not much to say, pretty one-sided, some entertaining moments, first half was fun to watch. Glad to see CJ get minutes and AM score. Maybe someone can stress to SMJ that at this level of play a guy a foot taller than he is will not, most times, let him get to the basket. If he will just give some CALM relief for a few minutes to allow Landry to get a bit of rest, he will, in my opinion, earn his time on the floor. The CALM part is a bit of a stretch. His motor only runs one speed -- reckless. I feel bad for UCONN because it seemed they played pretty hard; even playing us pretty even the second half but we had built such a lead there was no cutting into it.
                    I thought SHJ play a pretty good game compared to some of his previous games. He was able to drive and score twice. He does seem to be a little hesitant when bringing the ball up against the press.
                    Last edited by 1979Shocker; February 11, 2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
                      SHOCKvalue commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed.

Not much offense from CJ, but liked what I saw otherwise.

He seems to be a split opinion in the fan base though.

• WuDrWu
                      WuDrWu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      CJ seems to have finally learned the first lessons of basketball when being coached by Gregg Marshall. Don't turn the ball over, and make the simple plays.

Just make the simple plays. Stay in front of your man. Block out. Move the ball. Keep the ball moving. Play hard. I thought he did all of those yesterday, and for CJ, right now, that's an A+ effort.

• shoxlax
                      shoxlax commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was sitting in on a practice during the fall of 2014 when HCGM went over to Bush Wamakota (very new to the program) and said "I don't need you to win games for us. I just need you help keep us from losing them". Pretty much the same with CJ right now.

I love when the Shockers break the press by putting a ball handler in the middle, ie CF or LS. That revelation hit me about 40 years ago when teams would always bring a big man the the middle. We had 2 big guys in foul trouble so we had to go with a kid that was the first guy off the bench, but played 1-4. He would catch the ball in the middle and beat one guy off the dribble and set up a 3 on 2 every single time. The Shocks have the same success, imo, when they use the strategy. Who doesn't like those two dribbling into 2 defenders who are looking at DW, SM, RN etc. on the wing and defender one better get to three point line.
                    Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

According to kenpom that was our 5th worst defensive efficiency of the season. However it was our best offensive efficiency of the season.

Comment

Any report on Markis? I noticed he was limping when he was taken out.

Comment

Working...
                        X