No announcement yet.

Cold hard truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't forget poor bear. 'already looking forward to the upgrade in talent.

oh, and this team reminds me of last years team, pre-january.
    Last edited by another shocker; February 2, 2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I agree that some of the incoming Freshmen may have higher ceilings than SOME of the seniors leaving. However, as Freshmen they will almost certainly have lower floors as well. To think they are going to come in and dominate next year is wishful thinking. Kentucky has a whole team of McDonalds All-Americans. 5-Star recruits, almost every one of them. UK is not even a top 25 team right now. Our recruits are promising but they aren't even close to that level, at least as the recruiting rankings go. To expect a better team next year seems unrealistic to me. In two or three years down the road you may be right. I am now starting to think that both McDuffie and Shamet will be back next season. Those two with Reaves and the new guys might keep us in the top 4 in the AAC, but a step back should still probably be expected. If Shamet leaves, I think middle of the pack in the AAC is probable. I don't think we're going to have a sniff of the Top 25 next year. Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• bighouse
        bighouse commented
        Editing a comment
        Kentucky is ranked 21st

• another shocker
        another shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        who made any suggestion, in any way, other than you, that next years team would be better??? the freshman are going to dominate next year??? who said that other than you?

I was telling someone earlier that I’m more excited to see how next season goes than I am to finish this season, especially after last nights game.

The lineup of lomax, Shamet, Reaves, Mcduffie, and whichever big steps up will be fun.

Comment

Going forward this season, ZB needs a diminished role.

He’s been a great serviceman and asset to this program during his career, but he’s a huge liability on one end of the court and not living up to expectations on the other.

Bring him off the bench for some defense and energy, of course, but a starting lineup with both ZB and RK in it only hurts our true offensive players.

The small ball lineup could work well, if everyone is playing up to snuff: LS, CF, AR, MM, SM.
        If they wanted a little more size, they could sub off CF and put in RK.
        The Assman

Comment

I agree. Marshall has fallen in love with getting the ball inside on every play. Players are not setting screens outside as they did earlier in the season. As a result, no one is getting a clean look for a three. Can't beat teams at this level throwing up contested threes. Need quick ball movement around the perimeter with stout screens to get clean looks. Other teams are doing that to us and killing it with uncontested threes! The Temple game was a glaring example, so many turnovers inside with poor passing. Shockers may have to win the AAC tournament to get into the March tournament, the way they are playing now.

Comment

It's obvious that our game plans do not seem to be as solid as the past. Look at the coaches who are gone and what their teams are doing defensively, much better than us. ZB and RK on the floor at the same time is brutal, HCGM even alluded to that himself on last week's show, they don't have to be guarded on the perimeter and get to sag in he middle, thus no inside out game, fewer open looks by guards. Sure Brown and Kelly make the occasional shot, but as an opposing team, I'll give up one basket a game to ZB and hold LS, CF in single digits any day.

Comment

NCAA Scoring defense stats/rank: cinncy, #2, UCF #3, Chris Jan's NMS 4, smu 7, Forbes ETS 34, Houston 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktheheck View Post
              NCAA Scoring defense stats/rank: cinncy, #2, UCF #3, Chris Jan's NMS 4, smu 7, Forbes ETS 34, Houston 45.

Good for Jans and Forbes. According to KenPom, NMSU is still top 10 in adjusted defense and ETSU is number 33. Both significantly better than us right now.

Comment

Completely off track, but I kind of wonder if LS and CF might need a vision check. LS has been off on his shot and his passes. Somebody mentioned "wondered what we were seeing."

Comment

Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
                  Completely off track, but I kind of wonder if LS and CF might need a vision check. LS has been off on his shot and his passes. Somebody mentioned "wondered what we were seeing."
                  Landry’s shot has been looking pretty flat. For the record, his shot is typically flatter than most but it’s worked for him. Last night he hit a 3 with a hand in his face which forced him to put some extra arc on it.
                  Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

I'm just glad to see that some are facing reality and no longer drinking the koolaid. We were over rated going in, and we're in big trouble right now. And unless we see some adjustments by this coaching staff (and a big one is picking a group of players and letting them play long enough to establish a rhythm) I don't see anything changing. I love HGGM but his current strategy seems to be looking down the bench to see who he can sub next. How often have you seen us stop our own momentum with a sub, or take a hot hand out of the game? Jeez; these are 18-20 year old kids. Players on other teams play entire games, sometimes one after another. Or maybe our S&C program is lacking? This jerking them in and out sure ain't working, and a good coach oughta be able to see that.
                    "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

Yes, we are no longer in the MVC, and the American is a significantly stronger conference. Anyone who believed we were going to run though our new conference with just two or three loses was caught up in the hype and praise everyone was heaping on WSU, a senior laden team, who had made it to the NCAA tournament for 5 straight years.

But, I'm not buying in total this crap about we're playing tougher competition and our athletes can't compete well against them. Did we forget that these very same players gave Kentucky fits in the NCAA last year. So that blows all this crap totally out of the water about our athletes can't compete against skilled players.

What is being overlooked is that we played a number of schools (Marquette, Notre Dame, Baylor, OSU State, OU, earlier in the season. Many of these schools were/are higher ranked and their players were certainly just as good, if not better, that the talent on the teams we have looked so horrible against lately.

We held our own against those schools and did not look as lost against them as we have looked recently.

It is not just that we are getting beat. We are also looking horrible doing it.

We are experiencing ungodly numbers of TO's. Our passes are weak and telegraphed. And Reaves is our only guard who has not completely lost his ability to make a shot.

If it wasn't for Shaq and Reaves the last two games, we might very well have had a suicide or two. Mine being one.

The major comment that does make a lot of sense is that our fellow conference schools have had a lot of time to scout our offense and defense strategies, and their higher skilled coaching staffs (than MVC) have incorporated this information into their game plans. Also, this is an advantage that the schools we played early in the season did not have. If this is the case, then our coach and his assistants need to make some changes. And the sooner the better.

Comment

• shoxlax
                        shoxlax commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Really? A suicide joke.

I think we are better than many on here are giving us credit for. I am disappointed that we lost some games we could have won including the Temple game. However, Temple is not a certain win at their place. They are 39 in the rpi. Cincinnati won there by 2 points and we lost by 2 points. Temple is every bit as good as # 37 Illinois State was last year and we lost at their place by 14. We lost 5 games last year and all were against the top 100 rpi. We only won 4 games against the top 100 which includes our win in the NCAA against Dayton. We also won 26 games outside the top 100 with the best win against 140 rpi Tulsa. Our competition this year is far better night in and night out. Landry and Conner have had some poor shooting nights recently but that will get better. On an off night we are going to lose some games in this league. When we are playing up to our ability we can beat anyone, and I expect we will win most of our games. Go Shocks!
                      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

I’m really entertained by the posts “I love HCGM but.....” and then you proceed to list 57 things that you hate about his coaching.
                        Last edited by shoxlax; February 2, 2018, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Shock Top
                          Shock Top commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I’m sure there are some things my parents hate about me, but I get your point

• Husker4Shockers
                          Husker4Shockers commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not 57, just a couple.

I'm going to sleep on my comments. Better to be rested and sober.

Comment

Working...
                        X