No announcement yet.

Official #17 Wichita State vs Tulsa Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought the exchange late between Henderson and Marshall was humorous...After Henderson made a bucket, he chirped at Marshall as he was coming back down court and Marhsall pointed up and said 'scoreboard' back to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yellow Fever View Post
      Thought the exchange late between Henderson and Marshall was humorous...After Henderson made a bucket, he chirped at Marshall as he was coming back down court and Marhsall pointed up and said 'scoreboard' back to him.
      Was he part of Shaq's recruiting class, or Kelly and Brown's?

Comment

Thought the exchange late between Henderson and Marshall was humorous...After Henderson made a bucket, he chirped at Marshall as he was coming back down court and Marhsall pointed up and said 'scoreboard' back to him.
        Doesn't sound like a "team" player. Good for him on his 28 points but 28 ain't enough to win the game son.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I’m pretty sure if he’s a transfer senior now, he would have graduated last year for us. Would have been overshadowed completely by Fred, Ron, and then Landry and Conner immediately after that.
          The best thing that could have happened to him is exactly what did happen. He transferred to a decent team that would use him as a starter for 2 seasons and allow him to experience a successful career stat wise.

there is a small chance he could have won the 2 slot last year as a senior or helped at PG some for us but it would not have been that great for him if he wanted to be a guy. Transferring ended up probably better.

In hindsight I can see that he would have been good to have around but only as depth. I doubt that is what he wanted.

Comment

• pinstripers
            pinstripers commented
            Editing a comment
            He went from here to juco, mighta redshirted at juco, not uncommon, just not sure

Was listening to the Tulsa broadcast as I was at DFW and couldn’t get a consistent stream of KEYN.
          Tulsa announcer thought Marshall was letting The Tulsa HC have it for calling a late game timeout.
          Announcers were giving it to Marshall pretty good.
          Thanks for clearing it up.

Comment

• The refs for the game, DeRosa, Ayers and Cassell are ranked by KenPom as the #63, #3 and #17 refs through games going into last night's performance. Not believing Ayers could possibly be a top ten ref after watching him last night, I googled him and found that the coaches rate him #1
            We have the names you need to know, and ACC officials dominate voting among our coaches
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• bighouse
              bighouse commented
              Editing a comment
              Ayers wasn’t bad, the older gentleman was however very bad.

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              DeRosa made numerous late and/or bad calls.

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
            The refs for the game, DeRosa, Ayers and Cassell are ranked by KenPom as the #63, #3 and #17 refs through games going into last night's performance. Not believing Ayers could possibly be a top ten ref after watching him last night, I googled him and found that the coaches rate him #1
            I believe that KenPom simply ranks refs by how competitive the games they work are. They have no way to tell how good or bad a ref is based on game stats.

Henderson was in the same recruiting class with Kelly, Brown, and Nurger.
            Last edited by WheatShock; January 29, 2018, 09:51 AM. Reason: Forgot Cory went Juco for a year.
            Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
              I’m pretty sure if he’s a transfer senior now, he would have graduated last year for us. Would have been overshadowed completely by Fred, Ron, and then Landry and Conner immediately after that.
              The best thing that could have happened to him is exactly what did happen. He transferred to a decent team that would use him as a starter for 2 seasons and allow him to experience a successful career stat wise.

there is a small chance he could have won the 2 slot last year as a senior or helped at PG some for us but it would not have been that great for him if he wanted to be a guy. Transferring ended up probably better.

In hindsight I can see that he would have been good to have around but only as depth. I doubt that is what he wanted.
              WSU - 1 year
              Blinn JUCO - 1 year
              Tulsa - 2 years

He would be a true senior this year had a stayed.

Comment

• WheatShock
                WheatShock commented
                Editing a comment
                I forgot that he went Juco for a year before Tulsa.

• I really liked the one-dribble drive that Brown was making last night. Took one dribble in, picked the ball up under control, waited to see how the defense collapsed, passed the ball. Very effective.

Comment

• Probably no fouls called on this play.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Cdizzle
                  Cdizzle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shaq was warned to tuck his jersey in on the next possession.

• 1979Shocker
                  1979Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You guys are taking this a little too seriously. All the two UCF players were doing was getting ready to throw Austin into the air, while the third UCF player is trying to get Shaq's pants in order to catch Austin when he comes down.

• shockrah
                  shockrah commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks like it needs a metoo hashtag.

• Reaves hitting his seventh straight three might be my favorite CKA moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                  Probably no fouls called on this play.

I'll have to go watch my recording of the UCF game to see when this happened.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think it was the 2nd of the 2 pull up jumpers Austin hit early in the 2nd half to give the Shocks a little breathing room. I think this is the one he banked in.

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                  Reaves hitting his seventh straight three might be my favorite CKA moment.
                  Then you should like (make that love) this video with Mike Kennedy on the call:

https://twitter.com/GoShockersMBB/st...75010857558016

Austin deflected a lot of credit for his hot streak to his teammates getting him the ball in good position to shoot and rightly so.

He was assisted as follows:
                  1. Conner
                  2. Rashard
                  3. Landry (Nice screen from Zach)
                  4. Zach (Nice screen from Rashard)
                  5. Markis
                  6. Rashard
                  7. Landry

Not sure if they gave an asssit on #4. Zach passed the ball from the left wing back towards the left shoulder of the arc. Rashard set a screen and Austin took one dribble to his left and hit the shot from the top of the key. The sequence on that possession was: Shaq right wing to Landry at the right shoulder, to Austin at the left shoulder, to Zach on the left wing, to Austin on the left shoulder, Rashard sets screen, Austin one dribble and scores. That was pretty basketball.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 29, 2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Agree with the post earlier saying the 'You Still Suck' chant needs to go away-- ESPECIALLY when directed at a former Shocker.

Come on students,: you guys are great but that needs to stop.

Comment

• I do not understand the warm feelings for Henderson.

Comment

Working...
                      X