Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which players are playing over/below your expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, I think Zach Brown is definitely the player playing below expectations. That bums me out, because I really like him. It especially broke my heart to see him foul out with almost no contribution in his home town of Houston. I want to see him as player of the game more often, because he's a joy when Mike Kennedy interviews him after games. I'm really hoping he can find his confidence again. He's been on a bit of a roller coaster this season.

Comment

I really thought SHJ would be playing a lot by now.

Comment

Duff is certainly playing below expectations. SHJ barely contributes at all.

Comment

Duff wont get back to form without more minutes. Catch 22 i guess

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
            Anyway, I think Zach Brown is definitely the player playing below expectations. That bums me out, because I really like him. It especially broke my heart to see him foul out with almost no contribution in his home town of Houston. I want to see him as player of the game more often, because he's a joy when Mike Kennedy interviews him after games. I'm really hoping he can find his confidence again. He's been on a bit of a roller coaster this season.
            It's weird. I don't really see it as a confidence issue as he keeps taking shots, they're just not falling. Reminds a bit of what Tekele went through his Jr year, if I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
              Has anybody said Marshall yet. Maybe I’ll go find that old “Fire Marshal” thread to liven up the board
              Dave, you are a barrel of laughs. you seem to be enjoying the negative events that the Shockers are going through, way more than makes me comfortable. I try not to take basketball too seriously because I tell myself it isn’t that important when you consider life’s true problems. However, I still have difficulty making it into a joke and you take the joking to an extreme. I just don’t identify with you nor do I understand but I will continue to try.

Comment

Maybe we should start a thread about the number of posters that often under perform

Comment

I am spoiled. I am used to the Shox working harder, and playing harder than the other team. When they do not do that, I am disappointed.

Comment

Get Shaq off this list. Zach Brown too.

Its MM leading the way, with Shamet coming up fast from behind.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                      ShockTalk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      While parts of their game is still very good, the following in the last 3 games will be a killer if not turned around for future games.

Shamet 5-27, .185 FG%, 1-18, .055 3P%

Frankamp 5-21, .238 FG%, 2-12, .166 3P%

Combined: 10-48, .203 FG%, 3-30, .100 3P%

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Everyone goes through a shooting slump but both at the same time makes it more difficult for the team.

Tough for me to see Landry playing this poorly again. He'll be fine. Conner on the other hand doesn't get a pass from me.

Also, fair to say that Austin has played over my expectations lately :)
                    I knew he'd be a contributor, but didn't expect yesterday's onslaught.
                    "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                    Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Conner and Landry are still playing solid floor games with few turnovers, etc. But with Austin playing like he is, at this time he should get the majority of minutes and n the rotation.

• im4wsu
                      im4wsu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Shockm -- maybe cutting back LS minutes from 30-31 to 25-26 and giving those minutes to AR would be something to consider.

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No matter the exact minutes played by Austin, Landry and Conner, it was fitting that Austin was playing the more important minutes toward the end of the game. I didnt even notice the exact minutes, but I don’t think that was a coincidence im4wsu.

Conner had 1 bad game. He was 41% from 3 in January prior to the Tulsa game. He's got only 2 turnovers in his last 160 minutes of play, and is ranked 2nd in the nation in TO rate for the year. He's 20/20 from the line.

I wouldn't say he's overachieved by any means, but Connor is far from the disappointment that MM has been so far.

Comment

I wasn't so much commenting that Markis wasn't also playing poorly. I was looking squarely at Conner's shooting percentage over the last three games, which has been under 25%. Seems abysmal to me for someone who is a gifted shooter.
                      "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                      Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                        He's got only 2 turnovers in his last 160 minutes of play, and is ranked 2nd in the nation in TO rate for the year. He's 20/20 from the line.
                        Honestly, I think both of these numbers are part of the problem. Never turning the ball over is a very useful trait. Never turning the ball over because you never make plays is not as great. Shooting 100% from the free throw line is great. Being a starting guard averaging less than 1 FTA per game is not as great.

Right or wrong, Conner's contribution to the team is pretty much how many and what % of 3s he makes in a game. Maybe it should be more than that, but I don't think that's a limitation that's being applied by anyone other than himself.

Comment

• proshox
                          proshox commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Did you notice the pass that got AR in the flow last night? It was on time and on target which has been an issue for other shockers this year. For instance, AR picks out the right pass but it is often off target which lowers the shooting percentage. Zach will make the right pass, but until last two games the pass was often a half beat late. CF has a much bigger impact than the three point shots... hell him standing on the court helps spread it for everyone else. On defense, his help to the bigs has been really good in a number of games...

I would not argue that, to date, Connor has not shot the ball as well as he can. Both he and LS
                        had reputations coming into the season. Opposing coaches know about them and focus their
                        defenses on them just like teams are doing on Trae Young who, btw, is only shooting 40%
                        from the perimeter and commits a lot of turnovers. Conner 46 assists to 7 turnovers. That is
                        outstanding. Because defenses are focusing more on Connor and LS that means that they are
                        less concerned with some of our other players which allows them to be more successful. They,
                        and the team, owe some of that success due to the fact that LS and CF are being over played and
                        the fact they are both very smart and unselfish players who do not force things and find their
                        team mates when they are open. Both have VERY high BBIQ's that does not show up in the box scores

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                          Conner had 1 bad game. He was 41% from 3 in January prior to the Tulsa game. He's got only 2 turnovers in his last 160 minutes of play, and is ranked 2nd in the nation in TO rate for the year. He's 20/20 from the line.

I wouldn't say he's overachieved by any means, but Connor is far from the disappointment that MM has been so far.
                          We can cherry pick in both directions. Conner shot .625 the first 2 games of January and .290 the last 5 games. I can even throw out the Tulsa game and he's shooting .346 the other last 4 games. Lastly, we could say he's shooting .359 for the month of January and leave it at that.

Now .346 or .359 is not bad, but it's also not that good when your primarily in the lineup as a 3 point sniper. When you add @Cdizzle's comments about his other attributes, it's even more important. I'm hoping Conner is going to start feeling better as some of this may very well be due to the migraines.

Comment

• Shockm
                            Shockm commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Conner has a lot of other qualities besides shooting although that has been obviously his best quality. Conner is a good, smart basketball player. I hope his shooting slump ends soon.

• Jamar Howard 4 President
                            Jamar Howard 4 President commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Believe me, I’m not thrilled by Conner’s play. I just find it hard to be more than slightly disappointed. He is what he is. On a spectrum of expectations entering the year, he’s probably a 3 or 4 in my book.

But MM is about a 2 right now. NBA talent (supposedly) and I’m not always excited to see him checking into the game. That’s not right.

• ShockTalk
                            ShockTalk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I've look at Markis as a boarder line NBA'r. I think most of us were surprised at how well Landry was playing immediately coming off his injury. Markis has never been as "graceful" as Landry and his stubbling around his first few games back was not surprising. He's still just a tick off. Not far really. He's just 1 made 3 in place of a miss from his % last year. He's just 3 more missed shots from his FG% of last year. Given the minutes played, he's rebounding at the same rate from 16-17. Just a couple of FT off from a very good %. These "lesser" stats over his 10 games has much less impact than Landry and Conner's shooting the last 3, IMO.
                            I could argue that MM had as good, if not better game in the Houston loss than CF or LS. What it comes down to is that we need all 3 back on their game for this team to succeed at a higher level. I believe Markis is pushing too hard to get back to his old self. LS and CF have lost their shooting mojo. All are probably pressing too much. You've got great teammates who've got your backs, guys. Take a deep breath and let the game come to you.
                        Working...
                        X