WSU vs SMU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

They need to get rid of the defensive player of the game segment on the post game radio show. It's always 1 of 2 or 3 players. It was Kelly tonight.
    Who did Kelly stop? I guess they had to give it to somebody. They should have given it to Barney. Nobody scored on him tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

The number one thread on Shockernet started with a positive post I made about switching conferences. You know what I can't take seriously? A person whose coping mechanism after a loss is finding a random person on a message board and bulldogging them. Like a bully that strikes out after being hit by daddy, you do it every time, and to be honest I wanted to blow off steam by laughing at you predictably jumping at someone. It is far more toxic to attack people than to vent.
      You just need to refrain from posting hours after losses. You're just not in a solid state and very fragile.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Well, I spent the evening watching the game from the Humidor out west tonight instead of in the humble abode; so I guess I’ll take the blame for this one. Gotta get stops. Defense was not stellar tonight, but there are moments you have to just tip your hat to the other guy. Shake Milton fired off a few from
        hip from about 26 feet and there was no doubt the ball would find the bottom of the net. It seemed like they could’ve tossed up a hook shot from Fairmount towers and tally up another 3 points like nothing. All in all, I don’t see them beating us at their place. Our shocks showed some grit and they’ll be ready to bring the fight back to moody. On to Houston!
        Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Adjustments I would like to see:

1) stop playing combinations of Willis, Nurger, and Morris together. The game has evolved and this is hurting us in both ends.

2) for better or worse, let Landry guard the opposing team’s point guard. Zach isn’t last year’s point guard stopper.

3) against a zone - play three guards that can aggressively pass and shoot

4) get MM to realize he is a four and not a three. We are not maximizing his skill set at the three.

5) when the Shakes of the world start using high pressure against us... try turning it down a notch. Let Shake’s brain re-engage. It may get in the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJShocker10 View Post
            Well, I spent the evening watching the game from the Humidor out west tonight instead of in the humble abode; so I guess I’ll take the blame for this one. Gotta get stops. Defense was not stellar tonight, but there are moments you have to just tip your hat to the other guy. Shake Milton fired off a few from
            hip from about 26 feet and there was no doubt the ball would find the bottom of the net. It seemed like they could’ve tossed up a hook shot from Fairmount towers and tally up another 3 points like nothing. All in all, I don’t see them beating us at their place. Our shocks showed some grit and they’ll be ready to bring the fight back to moody. On to Houston!
            As 3G says, teams play about 5 games a year when they play above themselves. I just don’t see how SMU can replicate that shooting again when they play us next time. We can play the same or better, which is why we can certainly win at Moody.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
              Adjustments I would like to see:

1) stop playing combinations of Willis, Nurger, and Morris together. The game has evolved and this is hurting us in both ends.

2) for better or worse, let Landry guard the opposing team’s point guard. Zach isn’t last year’s point guard stopper.

3) against a zone - play three guards that can aggressively pass and shoot

4) get MM to realize he is a four and not a three. We are not maximizing his skill set at the three.

5) when the Shakes of the world start using high pressure against us... try turning it down a notch. Let Shake’s brain re-engage. It may get in the way.
              I am lobbying for a lineup of: Landry, Conner, Reaves (1-3], McDuffie at 4 and Shaq at 5.

Comment

• Shaqness
                Shaqness commented
                Editing a comment
                Why no RK? You don't want our best rebounder and toughest payer on the court?

• ShockdaWorld
                ShockdaWorld commented
                Editing a comment
                I love RK. I think he's be a great vocal leader for the second squad and would bring that toughness and energy. The lineup Dan is advocating is certainly a better offensive unit than one involving RK. It could also be a little weaker defensively though. Would be fun to see, and probably not too far from the realm of possibility.

• I'm wondering how much longer we can afford to have both Zach and Rashard starting. We're constantly having bad starts to games, and it seems some of it is we have two non threats on offense. If Zach's defense was making up for his lack of offense maybe you can justify it. But it's not. We need to get off to better starts. Teams are getting way to much confidence early because they keep getting stops. I'm thinking either start McDuffie or Willis for Kelly or start McDuffie or Reaves for Brown.
              Last edited by Zubcut; January 17, 2018, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Love zach bush calling out wsu for the buzz killing idiotic promos during a big run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zubcut View Post
                  I'm wondering how much longer we can afford to have both Zach and Rashard starting. We're constantly having bad starts to games, and it seems some of it is we have two non threats on offense. If Zach's defense was making up for his lack of offense maybe you can justify it. But it's not. We need to get off to better starts. Teams are getting way to much confidence early because they keep getting stops. I'm thinking either start McDuffie or Willis for Kelly or start McDuffie or Reaves for Brown.
                  Agreed. Willis and McDuffie should get the start.

Comment

• proshox
                    proshox commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Disagree. McDuffie is a four. We need to stop playing Willis and Shaq together.

Austin is the guy that needs to start. Maybe McDuffe for RK.

• Shaqness
                    Shaqness commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I can't agree with any line-up excluding Kelly. Offensive side of the ball isn't a big enough problem to remove Kelly.

• Creighton is 22 spots ahead of us in defensive efficiency. 3 Valley schools are ahead of us in defensive efficiency. So are some bad teams. I hope it gets fixed soon because that is embarrassing.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                    Creighton is 22 spots ahead of us in defensive efficiency. 3 Valley schools are ahead of us in defensive efficiency. So are some bad teams. I hope it gets fixed soon because that is embarrassing.
                    Ouch! I can't believe how comfortable teams look against our defense. We used to put the fear of God into teams with our defensive intensity. We look like we're scared to play physical. Watching WVU play D and then us and the difference is stark. We used to not let teams breathe. Zach had one stinkin' foul. When a guy is on fire like Shake was you've got to put him on his ass a couple of times.
                    Last edited by Zubcut; January 17, 2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• I get tired of watching certain players who have NBA dreams use their so-called final year to audition for The League vs Playing for the Team.
                      It was obvious in the Tulsa game and again tonight. I know MM has NBA-itis and it's his lifelong goal. But using games to "show his stuff" to those evaluating his talent for the next level is bullshit.

Nobody is bigger than the team or the game.
                      A certain person in charge needs to assert himself and make it exceptionally clear to all what the primary, secondary and only purpose of playing for this team is about.

Ok. It needed to be said and its out there. And yes, they better get more personally involved in the business at hand or Saturday will be a repeat of tonight.

That is all.
                      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• ShockCrazy
                        ShockCrazy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What the heck were you watching regarding Markis? Was it the two of our three steals he got that seemed dream hunting. Or maybe it was the 4 shot attempts in 15 minutes which is well below his career shooting rate? Or maybe it he was rebounding that still had him above his career averages for rebound rate? Did he turn it over too much against Tulsa? Absolutely, he definitely looked a bit sped up. But saying he isn't playing team ball is laughable.

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
                      I get tired of watching certain players who have NBA dreams use their so-called final year to audition for The League vs Playing for the Team.
                      It was obvious in the Tulsa game and again tonight. I know MM has NBA-itis and it's his lifelong goal. But using games to "show his stuff" to those evaluating his talent for the next level is bullshit.

Nobody is bigger than the team or the game.
                      A certain person in charge needs to assert himself and make it exceptionally clear to all what the primary, secondary and only purpose of playing for this team is about.

Ok. It needed to be said and its out there. And yes, they better get more personally involved in the business at hand or Saturday will be a repeat of tonight.

That is all.
                      McDuffie isn't going anywhere next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You just need to refrain from posting hours after losses. You're just not in a solid state and very fragile.
                        You need to take a deep breath and relax before posting. Before, during, and after games. No one on this forum posts more negative comments than you. No one posts personal attacks like you. 24, 365. I'd have a heart attack in a week if I walked around with that that in my head all day.

​Your little wars on this board mean nothing. Look through this thread and ask yourself if anyone else takes their frustration out on other posters, or if it just you.

​​​​​If you post in a basketball forum, it should be about basketball, not about your opinions of other posters. To not be hypocritical, I'll finish this with a basketball opinion:

I think that our issues tend to stem from a lack of a rim protector, and that we play our best when Shaq or Nurger is blocking shots. Our defense is doing what it wants to, collapsing in on attacking offensive players after a screen, but ideally we don't need everyone to collapse, just a shot blocker. When Shaq is on, we commit fewer people. This lets us hedge screens better, and close out on shooters before they can get into their shooting motion. Shaq is our defensive X-Factor.

​​​

Comment

• Since we fell in the rankings after winning on the road last week, maybe we'll move up after losing at home.

Comment

Working...
                          X