WSU vs SMU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
    make your damn free throws, game is different with those 5 missed free throws! The shockers have been lucky in other games that the missed free throws haven't cost them.
    Can't shoot 100% every night. Willis and Kelly just aren't good FT shooters and they were the ones at the line the most.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I will repeat, this team is bad at defense. How many deflections did we get this game? None that I saw. Literally no tipped passes. No charges. Almost no shots that could have been blocked.

This team applies next to no ball pressure, which allows Dudes with a capitol D to pick at our defense until they find the shot they want. They know we won't pick their pocket or tip their pass or block their shot, so they are practically playing against chairs. Dribble in, dribble out, oh that guys open now, look a 3, I feel hot let's heat check.

This team, as constructed, has yet to prove they can be a good team with a Dude under any circumstances. He'll get 30 and won't even feel winded enough to go to the bench. That should earn wind sprints for 40 minutes, just to show what forcing a player to play hard for that long feels like.

I don't care if we can shoot better than any Shocker team in history. Good team, Dude, loss in the first or second round. Either fix the problems or lose to them. I haven't seen improvement yet. How many big halftime deficits have their been? How many stars had career days? How many unforced TOs have we had? How many times have we seen a zone and resorted to hot potato perimeter offense?

I'm going to call out Zach. There is only one guy on the roster Marshall calls a defensive stopper, and so far I have yet to see it. It has to start from him, even if the real issue is teams abusing Frankamp and our posts in ball screens.
      ​​​

Comment

• Shaqness
        Shaqness commented
        Editing a comment
        Call out are coach.

• No. 7 Wichita State became the latest team to fall victim to the upset bug, losing to SMU. But losing to unranked teams isn't a big deal this season.

Box score for the SMU Mustangs vs. Wichita State Shockers NCAAM game from January 17, 2018 on ESPN. Includes all points, rebounds and steals stats.

Comment

• #7 WSU Lost
        #8 Texas Tech Lost
        #17 Auburn Lost
        #19 Seton Hall Lost
        #21 Tennessee Lost

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
          I will repeat, this team is bad at defense. How many deflections did we get this game? None that I saw. Literally no tipped passes. No charges. Almost no shots that could have been blocked.

This team applies next to no ball pressure, which allows Dudes with a capitol D to pick at our defense until they find the shot they want. They know we won't pick their pocket or tip their pass or block their shot, so they are practically playing against chairs. Dribble in, dribble out, oh that guys open now, look a 3, I feel hot let's heat check.

This team, as constructed, has yet to prove they can be a good team with a Dude under any circumstances. He'll get 30 and won't even feel winded enough to go to the bench. That should earn wind sprints for 40 minutes, just to show what forcing a player to play hard for that long feels like.

I don't care if we can shoot better than any Shocker team in history. Good team, Dude, loss in the first or second round. Either fix the problems or lose to them. I haven't seen improvement yet. How many big halftime deficits have their been? How many stars had career days? How many unforced TOs have we had? How many times have we seen a zone and resorted to hot potato perimeter offense?

I'm going to call out Zach. There is only one guy on the roster Marshall calls a defensive stopper, and so far I have yet to see it. It has to start from him, even if the real issue is teams abusing Frankamp and our posts in ball screens.
          ​​​
          There have been 3 days in the last few months that you have posted paragraph upon paragraph.

Care to guess which 3?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            I thought it was a little dirty how SMU was constantly stalling on the in-bounds after made baskets in the second half (especially late). Any reason why they weren't given delay of game warnings that we always seem to get? I bet they wasted 1 minute or 2 of game clock pulling off that BS.
            If the refs are gonna let you get away with it I guess it's smart. I remember us doing the exact same thing to Gonzaga.They're trying to shorten the game. By pressing, we were trying to get a higher possession game. They're trying to make it a lower possession game. The problem is a team playing tons of one-on-one shot 63%. That is almost impossible to do. Our "shutdown" defender keeps letting big scorers get off early, and they get a rhythm that we can't stop.

Comment

• Congratulations to the SMU Ponies tonight, they were the "Stallions".

Comment

There have been 3 days in the last few months that you have posted paragraph upon paragraph.

Care to guess which 3?
                Do you even realize how hypocritical you are? You attack Shocker fans more than any person that has ever been on the forum, usually for the same stuff you do.

I'm not going to respond to you except to laugh at you. I deliberately posted a longish comment starting out with "we don't get enough deflections" because I knew you would turn around an act like an outraged baby after YOU LITERALLY JUST POSTED that we don't get enough deflections.

Yeah, I post more after losses than wins. We win more than we lose, and there's little to say after a victory. And most of the time, I don't post on game days because I spent my time interacting with the people I watch the game with, rather posting 80 times a day seeking validation from a message board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zubcut View Post

If the refs are gonna let you get away with it I guess it's smart. I remember us doing the exact same thing to Gonzaga.They're trying to shorten the game. By pressing, we were trying to get a higher possession game. They're trying to make it a lower possession game. The problem is a team playing tons of one-on-one shot 63%. That is almost impossible to do. Our "shutdown" defender keeps letting big scorers get off early, and they get a rhythm that we can't stop.
                  Huh? Gonzaga? Why would we shorten a game in which we were behind most of the way in the second half? I think you're confusing rolling the ball up the court to what SMU did. I clearly know the reasons behind it but they were painfully obvious in their stalling because it happened with every. single. possession. Smart? Sure. Dirty? Absolutely. Illegal? I think after about the 10th consecutive time doing it an official should have stepped in. Lord knows the crowd knew what was up too.

I will agree about our "shutdown defender". ZB is in there for one purpose. If he's not succeeding there, then we need more well-rounded players inserted in there getting more minutes. I know Gregg is beyond loyal to seniors and ZB has helped this team throughout his career, but he's simply... not jump shooter (and still does it at inopportune times), not a scorer, absolutely not a ball-handler, not a dribbler, not a catcher, and more often then not getting burnt by opposing players.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Do you even realize how hypocritical you are? You attack Shocker fans more than any person that has ever been on the forum, usually for the same stuff you do.

I'm not going to respond to you except to laugh at you. I deliberately posted a longish comment starting out with "we don't get enough deflections" because I knew you would turn around an act like an outraged baby after YOU LITERALLY JUST POSTED that we don't get enough deflections.

Yeah, I post more after losses than wins. We win more than we lose, and there's little to say after a victory. And most of the time, I don't post on game days because I spent my time interacting with the people I watch the game with, rather posting 80 times a day seeking validation from a message board.
                    There's little to say after victories? Really? LOL. Some fan.

Well, today's a game day, and here you are... posting. Oops.

The problem with your shtick is that you only post negative stuff and usually always after losses. That's why it's hard to take you seriously a lot of the time. Round it out a bit or continue to look like a sulking, pathetic killjoy.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• As good as Shake Milton was, SMU doesn't beat us without Jank calling those time outs when he did. Surely there is a lesson there.

Comment

• Teams like Duke can get away with not playing D because they recruit the cream of the crop offensive players. We don’t have that luxury. If Marshall is gonna bring in guys that are known for exceptional defense, and defense is going to be a staple of our team, why in the world are we incapable of stealing the ball or deflecting passes? Not one guy on our team is competent in this regard (MM is probably the closest thing we have, not Zach Brown). Tekele Cotton, Fred VanVleet, Ben Smith, Toure Murry, Carl Hall, etc, would be embarrassed.

Comment

I will agree about our "shutdown defender". ZB is in there for one purpose. If he's not succeeding there, then we need more well-rounded players inserted in there getting more minutes. I know Gregg is beyond loyal to seniors and ZB has helped this team throughout his career, but he's simply... not jump shooter (and still does it at inopportune times), not a scorer, absolutely not a ball-handler, not a dribbler, not a catcher, and more often then not getting burnt by opposing players.
                          I'll add one more to that, not a passer. He seldom makes an entry pass. I have defended ZB in the past but just don't see how we can continue give so many minute to a 3 that is so inept on offence.

Comment

Huh? Gonzaga? Why would we shorten a game in which we were behind most of the way in the second half? I think you're confusing rolling the ball up the court to what SMU did. I clearly know the reasons behind it but they were painfully obvious in their stalling because it happened with every. single. possession. Smart? Sure. Dirty? Absolutely. Illegal? I think after about the 10th consecutive time doing it an official should have stepped in. Lord knows the crowd knew what was up too.

I thought it was Gonzaga but it might have been Ohio State. I remember because the announcers kept talking about how we were doing it to run clock at the end of the game. Dirty is shooting 63% playing iso basketball.

Comment

• pinstripers
                              pinstripers commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I thought it was Louisville

There's little to say after victories? Really? LOL. Some fan.

Well, today's a game day, and here you are... posting. Oops.

The problem with your shtick is that you only post negative stuff and usually always after losses. That's why it's hard to take you seriously a lot of the time. Round it out a bit or continue to look like a sulking, pathetic killjoy.
                            The number one thread on Shockernet started with a positive post I made about switching conferences. You know what I can't take seriously? A person whose coping mechanism after a loss is finding a random person on a message board and bulldogging them. Like a bully that strikes out after being hit by daddy, you do it every time, and to be honest I wanted to blow off steam by laughing at you predictably jumping at someone. It is far more toxic to attack people than to vent.

Comment

Working...
                            X