Tulsa Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Eh, not against us it didn't. And I don't think Marshall liked it either, since every time Henderson made a 3, he had to turn towards our bench and give Marshall a stare.

If this is true, Tulsa's return game to the roundhouse will not be a pleasant one for Cory Henderson Jr.

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      The return trip is unlikely to be pleasant for Tulsa in general.

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Eh, not against us it didn't. And I don't think Marshall liked it either, since every time Henderson made a 3, he had to turn towards our bench and give Marshall a stare.
    Honestly, I am not surprised he played well. I don’t think any less of him for playing with a chip and staring. Now, if there were antics such as the throat slashing, firing pistols, etc. I completely revise my opinion.

But I agree with Fev, too bad he did not play with that focus and intensity when he was a Shocker, or he’d still be a Shocker.
    Last edited by DUShock; January 14, 2018, 02:20 PM.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Just finished watching the replay. How many times in your life have you heard the PBP guy say "If (insert road team here) gets a bucket here this place is ready to explode"?

ShockerNation, you're incredible.

Not that there aren't 1000 reasons to be thankful as a WSU fan/student-athlete, supporter, administrator etc, but THANK YOU Tulsa for inviting us back into a league with you guys. We should be in the same league, it's good for both of us and I hope all our games are that hard fought and entertaining.

I love this league. It's challenging these guys to get better and giving them so much more to prepare for and compete against other than under-talented, under-coached super bowl flopping 3 point prayers we've had to play for 6 + seasons.

No problem with CHJr. Well done young man. Once a Shocker always a Shocker.

I really like the way this team is rounding into form. I know some will be annoyed or concerned about the close game, but I attribute that more to really good play by Tulsa than anything else. With Markis getting his legs back, this team is getting really good. Being tough and confident without being cocky. Working hard, together. Great teamwork. Sharing the ball to get a better shot. Everyone buying in to their own strengths. Austin is getting really good. Willis being TOUGH and playing within himself. Conner with some swagger. A superstar in Landry. A do everything workhorse in Kelly. A lockdown defender in Brown. 3 good post men. A 2nd superstar in McDuffie. Lots of scoring options. Lots of ball handlers. Lots of interchangeable parts. Lots of fight, and lots of winners. And an elite coach.

I am liking this team.....a LOT.

I sense something.....a presence I've not felt since..........

Comment

• shockrah
        shockrah commented
        Editing a comment
        Do I sense a prediction on the horizon?

• wheathead
        wheathead commented
        Editing a comment
        ....since the last time you had spicy tacos with extra refried beans?

• TulsaForever
        TulsaForever commented
        Editing a comment
        Great game Shockers. Really good to have you in the league and it may take a while but I think we can get the rivalry going again. Looking forward to your match-ups with Cincy; March should be crazy!

• ...since 2013. Yes this team is gelling fer sure! Just watched the replay myself. Fantastic game! Very entertaining! Kudos to Tulsa. BIGGER kudos to ShockerNation!!!!
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Just watched the replay. Cory Henderson was WIDE OPEN on the right elbow on that last play.

Comment

• Corey Henderson took 11 shots, which is about the same number as he took per game during his year here.

Comment

• We should have played better, but it's a road victory. Keep improving and keep winning!

Comment

• Quote of the night from the Tulsa board.

"Apparently the WSU folks may fund our athletic department for the next year with the amount of beer they’re buying"
              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• pogo
                pogo commented
                Editing a comment
                Well it was only five bucks as compared to eight at our place. A Tulsa fan asked if we sold beer at CKA and I told him yes but it was eight bucks. He said if you always have a sell out you can charge what you want but they sell it cheaper at Tulsa to maybe attract a few more fans. I noticed that Tulsa sold their bottled drinks WITH lids still attached. Were we sold a load of BS by our folks saying it is an AAC rule or does Tulsa choose to not comply. Inquiring minds want to know...

• WichitaStateGuy
                WichitaStateGuy commented
                Editing a comment
                My dad and I legit smuggle bottle caps into the stadium.

• Shocker Nation should get a letter of appreciation from the Tulsa Chamber of Commerce!
              Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• wheathead
                wheathead commented
                Editing a comment
                I heard next year their Convention and Visitors Bureau is sending WSU fans welcome packets a week before the game.

• I am pretty sure the lid thing comes down to idiots that don’t realize they are trading risks. A relatively minor one for one that may paralyze or kill a fan. The number of spilled drinks this year is way up. The concrete in Koch between seat ilse becomes slick as ice when wet. Add in the darker environment and I have already watched people slip and fall.

Having no option to secure 20 ounces of liquid in a space at tight as a Koch Arena seat is asinine.

Comment

• Bring a lid. Not that hard to bypass the rule if it’s a big deal to you.

Comment

• proshox
                  proshox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  that doesn't really address my point

• Four things at Tulsa that they do better than us:
                $5 beer vs $8,
                Liked they way they introduced their cheerleaders,
                Security check was non-existent or invisible,
                Lids optional.

Comment

• The wife and I decided last minute to go to the game. Grabbed some cheap seats in the upper bowl and boy am I glad we did. Atmosphere was incredible. Almost felt like a tournament type of game with equal numbers of fan bases trying to out-do each other. My section had mostly Shocker fans in it, but there were a few Tulsa people behind me that were very passionate fans as well. Every once in a while when Tulsa hit a big shot, I couldn't help but turn around and high-five them or just say wow. At the end of the game, we shook hands and said "hell of a game" and they left smiling despite the loss.

I think this renewed rivalry will be a lot of fun.

Comment

• Signman
                    Signman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We had a good time with the Tulsa fans around us with one exception. There was an older Tulsa fan sitting court-side that took it upon himself at halftime to lecture 3 younger Shocker fans sitting behind him to not yell at the players. The young fans were stunned that this guy was yelling at them but they handled the old curmudgeon well. I think the young fans only sin was to yell "airball" at Corey.

• That was a nailbiter for sure and many of us thought that might be the case. Announcers aside, that sure was a fun game to watch on TV. Truly sounded like a game at CKA, especially after every Shocker made basket or tough play. Those of you who made the drive down and attended deserve some credit for this victory. I'm not sure we win without the support of more than 5,000 screaming Shocker fanatics along the way.

What's even better, it's not like the Tulsa fans can return the favor, what with CKA literally selling out every game. I assume there won't be more than a few hundred tickets for Tulsa in the rubber match.

Got a real kick out of this commentary http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...ticle-nav-next in the Tulsa World in which he raves about the renewed rivalry but is disappointed in the dismal turnout of Tulsa fans.

Comment

• I wonder if opposing coaches continually say "we have to bottle up they way we played tonight" after losing to Cincy.

New league. Same old superbowl.

Comment

Working...
                    X