WSU Versus Tulsa Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Versus Tulsa Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Here's the deal. What a Series it has been through the annals of Shocker History versus these Golden Hurricanes. Last time we played there, they actually defeated us as FVV had to play virtually on one leg. Then there was the MTXE matchups with our Bookends coached by Gene Smithson versus Paul Pressey's defense with Coach Nolan Richardson who later coined the phrase 40 minutes of hell-o. Then there was the tip in by Tom Kosich that he described as "the tip that was heard around the world." X-Man had 34 points against them in 1985 and 22 rebounds in 1983. Any moments you remember you wish to share in this series? In this encounter, Tulsa will sow the Golden Hurricane, only to reap the Shocker Whirlwind.

Tulsa is now 10-7 and 3-2 after being poked in the eye of their hurricane by the Houston Cougars tonight 104-71. Ouch!!!!!!!! They did beat UConn in a double overtime game 90-88, beat K-State 61-54, and lost to Ok. State 71-59 and Illinois State 65-58. Some of their better players are Corey Henderson (former Shocker), Junior Etou Sterling Taplin (played 2-minutes at Tulsa 2 Seasons ago), and Daquan Jeffries. At Tulsa last time, Kelly, Shaq, LS, and Brown all played. This game will have a different result and winner. Last Season we defeated them at CKA 80-53.

Lindy's picked Tulsa 8th while Street and Smith and Athlon picked them to finish 7th. This game is televised Sat. night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU. The Shocks will fly straight to Tulsa from where they are now Friday and practice some there. I'm glad, because it is snowing here on SN and outside we had some snow and ice outside as well. Then after the Shocker 22 point surpass, they will bus it back to sweet home Wichita.

As a zealot fan as are many on SN, with us ranked 5th, it is easy for me to place our beloved Shocks on my Cloud 9, black and yellow fantasy world. At times this Season, they played ugly as the look of a caterpillar, but other times (especially now with Duff back), show the splendor of a butterfly. The Shocks are warriors on the cold and lonely road, second to no other team for the past 5 Seasons at least. They make it appear easier than it looks because there are plenty of upsets this Season nationwide already. Even so, the Shocks and our Coaching Staff do the extras to help overcome the snares, obstacles, and forks in the road to find ways to win their fair share as they will this Season. Lots of Shocker blood, sweat, and tears, but yet they face that music often to be successful.

In this game, we will be led by our tripod leaders that is our superglue and foundation. Look for LS to lead us with 22 points and 7 assists, Shaq will get us 11 points and 11 rebounds, as Duff will make plays on both sides of the hardwood to also score 11. While I pick us to win by 22, it is a road game so an 11-point surpass or even a 1 point win is okay, but win we will.

WSU--5th in the Nation--81

Tulsa------------------------59

Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Shocks by one:good:

Comment

The pain train pulls into a new station, same result.

Chuck Norris 91
      Doug Wojcik 74

Comment

Then there was the game a Tulsa fan wore a wig that emulated Gene Smithson and was waving green at our players as they raced by during the game at Tulsa. What about the game Ricky Ross chose not to shake the hand of Karl Papke? Do I remember that correctly? If I recall, that game was here, and we won that game. Our overall records are quite close with Tulsa. Does anybody have an accurate count on the overall series record between these two teams?
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• pogo
          pogo commented
          Editing a comment
          That fan even wore a white leisure suit like Gene used to wear and had fake money sticking out of his pockets as well. Of course i always Nolans polka dot ties.

Think under normal circumstances we'd be favored by about 14.5. But I think this is secretly a pretty tough game thanks to the schedule. It isn't easy to take a 4H flight in, play an away game, take a 4H flight out, play another away game. Not only is that physically draining, it also leaves us little prep time to run through things on the court. If we get plane legs I could see us starting cold and turning this into a close game.

Comment

KenPom has up -10 with 84% odds to win. I like it!
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

tied at half, win by 17

Comment

Two road games in three days is going to make this closer than it should be. Also, Tulsa will super bowl us AND they got blown out yesterday by Houston. Seems like a lot of teams that played us close this year got blown out the game before. This one might be interesting, but we SHOULD win by double digits.

Shockers - 81
              Tulsa - 69

Comment

tulsa.png
                Attached Files
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

82 to 76 Shoxs
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Shamet hasn’t had to score much and has really played the facilitator role (very well) in the last two games. I think this game will be a little closer. We focus on defense and Shamet has to shoulder more of the scoring load. Shox 75-63.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                      Think under normal circumstances we'd be favored by about 14.5. But I think this is secretly a pretty tough game thanks to the schedule. It isn't easy to take a 4H flight in, play an away game, take a 4H flight out, play another away game. Not only is that physically draining, it also leaves us little prep time to run through things on the court. If we get plane legs I could see us starting cold and turning this into a close game.
                      Not exactly. We flew on Wed. And arrived in N. Car. late afternoon before dinner. Plenty of leg rest time during Thursday, played game and flew back out late Thurs. arriving at 3 am Friday. Slept until noon today and are probably eating lunch now. Afternoon practice, rest, and film watching. Tomorrow all day rest, shoot around, etc. 6:30 game.

Comment

• pogo
                        pogo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This. Plus Shamat and McDuffie were the only ones to play more than 20 minutes

We win easily tomorrow is my gut. The only other prediction I will stand by is that unlike the last time we played there the Dreamlifter won't be landing at Jabara. That was crazy! Actually that was several times ago but you get my point.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                        Then there was the game a Tulsa fan wore a wig that emulated Gene Smithson and was waving green at our players as they raced by during the game at Tulsa. What about the game Ricky Ross chose not to shake the hand of Karl Papke? Do I remember that correctly? If I recall, that game was here, and we won that game. Our overall records are quite close with Tulsa. Does anybody have an accurate count on the overall series record between these two teams?
                        65-61 good guys. We are 27-35 away however.

Comment

This shouldn't be a close game. We really outclass these guys. But the quick turnaround after the East Coast trip will impact our play. Yes, Tulsa will be up for the game as well, but there's a reason Houston spanked them the other day. We SHOULD win by at least 20 but it might be a tad closer than that. AM will not see the court until 5 to go in the game.

Comment

Working...
                          X