• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7’0” 270lbs IS God given talent.

Comment

• BOBB
      BOBB commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a somewhat inverse relationship to the size and the amount of talent required. If you are 7' and knocking down jumpers and flying all over the court you are Ralph Sampson. If you are 7' and have an encyclopedic amount of post moves you are Hakeem Olajuwon. If you are 7' and have some limited basketball skills you can be a significantly more effective version of Ehimen Orupke and be a solid contributor to a national champion. We aren't likely to get the first two types of players too often.

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      I absolutely loved Orupke. An athletic 7' that was quick, jumped well, completely protected the rim. Had the ability to change a game without scoring a point. Give me another one like him right now!

• wufan
      wufan commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow Topshock! You loved EO! You are a talent evaluator extraordinaire! My apologies.

• To the people who think Asbjorn is out, what are your thoughts on Rauno? IMO, if Asbjorn ended up giving us Rauno's senior year production it would be a disappointment and Rauno is an important part of a 10 man rotation on a top 10 team.

Would this guy's production be acceptable:

That dude averaged 16 pts, 7 rebounds, in 29 minutes as a 25 year old in Denmark.

Asbjorn averaged 9 points, 6 rebounds, in 19 minutes as a 19 year old. On the exact same team.

Comment

• As fun as it has been entertaining all of you, I have no more time for it!

As I said in a previous comment, I hope he becomes an All American and I have to apologize to all of you for having an opinion you didn't agree with.
      Of course if I'm right, I will be waiting for a lot of apologies!

Comment

• pie n eye
        pie n eye commented
        Editing a comment
        Waiting for apologies? Come on now, it ain’t that serious. Nobody should expect an apology if you’re “wrong” (whatever the hell that even means) nor should you expect any apologies if you’re “right”. It’s just a fan message board.

• wufan
        wufan commented
        Editing a comment
        You won’t be around for your come upins.

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        Just where do you think I'm going to be????

• Are we gonna do this with every big man (6'10" and bigger) that we get? Cause so far this argument has happened with each one of them early in their careers.

AM is fine, he will continue to develop. Patience.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        Hope you right. Don't think I personally have ever said anything about a previous big man early in their career's however.

• I'm not sure what Asbjorn's updside is but I have a feeling 3G thinks there is enough there to try to develop. The young man certainly seems to have the wanna and as numerous Shocker players have shown over the years a high Basketball I-Do can take you a long ways. My guess is 3G would have preferred to redshirt him but just as with Rauno and Garrett before that sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise. I certainly don't sense there is any desire by the coaching staff to give up on the young man and Asbjorn certainly doesn't seem like he is ready to throw in the towel. How good he can be and will be remains to be seen but whatever that level is will take a bit of time to unfold. I think 3G is okay with that and understood that was probably the case when he brought Asbjorn on board.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 8, 2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll just say, what player that we gave up on did GM publicly seem like he was ready to throw in the towel on? Of the several, the answer is none. He wouldn't do that publicly

• This AM talk is kinda crazy, imo. I think there's not nearly enough info for us to judge accurately right off the bat. I'm going with my gut, and that he's going to be a significant contributor.

Comment

• We didn't start the fire

Comment

• Shockm
          Shockm commented
          Editing a comment
          Who did?

• shock
          shock commented
          Editing a comment
          No one. It was always burning, since the world was turning.

• Dumbest thread tangent of the new year, for sure.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          It's early.

• All I know is if he doesn’t pan out I hope they keep him on scholarship and have him be WuShock

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
          We didn't start the fire
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
            We didn't start the fire
            Who did?

Comment

• Topshock
              #223.3

Topshock commented
              2 hours ago

I hope he is All-American but I guess time will tell what end i jumped into.
              I can already tell you what end you jumped into. I don't think you'd like it.

Topshock is looking for 7' centers who drive around campus in blinged-out late-model Mercedes.
              Last edited by Aargh; January 8, 2018, 06:52 PM.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• wufan
                wufan commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe Aargh was correct to state that people should give players a year or two to evaluate them. Of course he wasn’t aware of your talent evaluation prowess.

• Topshock
                Topshock commented
                Editing a comment
                Or maybe he was just wrong.

• Cdizzle
                Cdizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Aside from literally nothing you quoted him saying being wrong, sure.

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Wow, you would thing AM was many of you posters first born. It is hilarious that so many of you become so emotional when people that have a very good history of talent evaluation, simply state the opinion that he doesn't have the god given ability to play at this level.

It's not personal, he seems like a great kid, and it's nothing to be ashamed of if you can't contribute to this program. Just look at how successful several of the players that couldn't make it here have been at programs that are not as talented as WSU's is right now.
              I'll happily give you the same offer 12eagle mysteriously won't accept: $100 to the charity of the winner's choice if AM is on next year's team or not, donated in AM's name. We exchange emails and forward proof of the donation.

I'm happy to go well above $100 if you'd like.
              Originally posted by BleacherReport
              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Topshock
                Topshock commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, you are so emotionally involved that you want to bet cash money over what will happen to a college player. Pathetic!

• wufan
                wufan commented
                Editing a comment
                I will also take the $100 donation on behalf of Asbjorn. He will be on the team next year.

• Rlh04d
                Rlh04d commented
                Editing a comment
                You have 350 posts on this forum in just shy of four years, yet around 30 on this one topic. It's pretty clear who is emotionally invested here.
                Last edited by Rlh04d; January 9, 2018, 10:58 PM.

• You (Topshock) certainly don’t seem/sound to be emotionally involved. Lol

Comment

• Topshock
                Topshock commented
                Editing a comment
                Not at all, just stated an opinion and calmly responded to comments.

• Rlh04d
                Rlh04d commented
                Editing a comment
                Nothing says calmly responding like screaming "Pathetic!"

• Just before things get out of hand, I'm thinking boosters probably shouldn't be offering to make payments of any kind on behalf of student-athletes.

Comment

• Rlh04d
                Rlh04d commented
                Editing a comment
                I can't imagine there's truly an NCAA rule against a small charitable donation in an enrolled student's name. But sure, maybe not in his full name.
            Working...
            X